Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

The thing that would majorly concern me about Houllier was his apparent reluctance to utilise his Youth players whilst at Liverpool. I would hope that whoever comes in wouldnt relegate the likes of Albrighton and Delfouneso back into the Reserve side.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imaginative in the transfer market,

Heh. Houllier's absolutely terrible in the transfer market. DO NOT WANT.

He also made a lot of good signings.

Even MON made bad signings, they're still at the club.

He didn't make a lot of good signings, he made a few of them. And he was managing Liverpool, who could attract almost everyone.

I think it's nailed on that IF gEd H comes here, it would be as DOF with Big Mac acting as head coach.

An interesting new approach. Could be good.

Are people not always saying that the director of football approach doesn't work? Can anyone name a club in england where it has worked successfully? If we go down the DOF route we are headed down a bad road IMO.

It will be a totally different set up.

Big Mac is a career coach. He is not a career manager. Ged H is past the point IMO of being an old style manager - he would be coming in as DOF to take the "managerial" side of things away from MAC, who doesn't really want that responsibility.

Ged would be DOF. Mac would be Head Coach.

No manager as such.

I think it may work. Would certainly suit the talents of both Mac and Ged.

Imaginative doesn't always mean good. He takes risks in the market, sometimes they pay off sometimes they don't. I'm looking forward to having a manager who makes signings from overseas that can excite fans and create a buzz at VP and possibly attract bigger crowds.

Hm, what if the board started to spread the rumours about Curbs just so we'll sigh with relief when Houllier is appointed? ;) "Houllier? He's way better than Curbs."

I think that Curbs was interviewed as a courtesy; he's an ex-Villa player with PL managerial experience so RL gave him the opportunity to pitch for the job.

I think the press got a hold of it and it became a convenient smokescreen for what other moves they've been making.

He didn't make a lot of good signings, he made a few of them. And he was managing Liverpool, who could attract almost everyone.

He/Liverpool did attract almost everyone.

1 × UEFA Cup: 2000-01

1 × UEFA Super Cup: 2001

1 × FA Cup: 2000-2001

2 × Football League Cup: 2000-2001, 2002-03

1 × FA Community Shield: 2001

That's what he won with some of the signings he made.

I'd be happy if he did that here too.

The idea of Macdonald as coach with Houillier as DoF sounds intriguing to me. I'm not saying it would definitely work or that I'm automatically enthusiastic for it, but I would be interested to see if that would be possible. I'm a little sceptical mind. As much as I'd get shot down for it, GT in the DoF role might be a good idea on the basis that he would completely understand the need not to interfere with Kevin's role and I suspect they could work well together.

Not my number one choice ( not that I know what my number one choice is either tbf ) but it's an interesting thought.

Cue: " Oh no it isn't! How could you think that, no ambition, it's ellis all over again, horrible idea board lackey! we'll get relegated with that...." )

Which others Richard?
Well , and this is my opinion so open to non agreement but I would say Houllier is better than

Southgate, Curbishley, Mclaren, Macdonald, Phil Brown

On a par with Sven and Koemann

Not as good as Moyes, Jol or the late runner that is Mcleish

Getting Houllier in as a DOF type could work in that he was part of the set up that brought through all the great pool of French players. However him as DOF with MacDonald for me wouldn't work. I think MacDonald tactically is not up to the task sadly, and I think if Houllier is making decisions on tactics then just make the bloke fecking manager!?

Houllier? Average at best. And even that puts him ahead of some of the names mentioned. I guess at the end of the day if you have the right crop of players that is a ig help. Gullit won trophies at Chelsea, and he is an awful awful manager.

I'd say the word for most of these names linked is... Uninspiring. I'm sure alot at the club are tinking the same as well.

He/Liverpool did attract almost everyone.

1 × UEFA Cup: 2000-01

1 × UEFA Super Cup: 2001

1 × FA Cup: 2000-2001

2 × Football League Cup: 2000-2001, 2002-03

1 × FA Community Shield: 2001

That's what he won with some of the signings he made.

I'd be happy if he did that here too.

Think he'd do the same at Villa that he did at Liverpool? Its as easy here?

Can't stand the idea of a DOF to be honest. You only have to look at Newcastle to see it doesn't work

Works on the continent, and did at Chelsea. I think Newcastle's problem was that the person dictating transfer policy was Dennis Wise.

Which others Richard?
Well , and this is my opinion so open to non agreement but I would say Houllier is better than

Southgate, Curbishley, Mclaren, Macdonald, Phil Brown

On a par with Sven and Koemann

Not as good as Moyes, Jol or the late runner that is Mcleish

He may not be as good or better than them, but they're currently in work....If we can't get them then Randy either has to appoint Kevin...Which I know will not please you or go for someone else....Maybe for a season or two.

Houllier isn't the worst person out of all the people we can get right now...I'm happy with him others will not be, but what can you do...It's really not our choice.

Oh and FWIW I do not like the idea of a DOF for me they just do not work. We need a manager not a DOF.

The board very much need more football people on it or more football nouse but a DOF is not the way to go for me