Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

who picks the team? - Kev Mac

who identifies players to buy and sell? - GH

who picks the tactics? - Kev Mac

On point #2 I'd expand it and say KMac identifies gaps in the squad and gives GH the criteria needed, then GH identifies who the solution is.

That's what I think too BOF.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On point #2 I'd expand it and say KMac identifies gaps in the squad and gives GH the criteria needed, then GH identifies who the solution is.

I'm not disagreeing but I would expect a Dir of Football to spend enough time in and around the club, particularly on matchdays to be able to fathom for themselves where and when we need players in, that is afterall their primary purpose, so far as I can see anyway.

In which case it is bad bad bad for me

Not only do I think Macdonald is naive and poor at first team selection and tactics I also think there would be a tendency for interfernec from the DOF.

Although perhaps that wouldn't worry Macdonald so much as it strikes me his character is not strong willed enough to resist that interference so perhaps the DOF would be doing the team picking and tactics anyway from behind the scenes. In which case then I am equally not sure about Houllier doing that!

Isn't that how it works with scouts?

My problem with Houllier.

3) He has bought some duds such as Fred, Diouf, Diao, Heskey :lol:, Ziege, Barmby, Cheyrou and Kewell.

To be fair I think a lot of people would have signed Kewell for 6mil that time, I certainly know I would have. Fred has scored 34 in 88 for Lyon. Diouf Dia Heskey have all been playing Premiership football since!

Isn't that how it works with scouts?

Do we have any scouts? Maybe being a DOF he brings scouts and coaches with him....His team.

It's interesting to see what's going to happen in the next few days reguardless.

I'm not too concerned about the Friedel/ Carew issues with Houllier.

Friedel is probably in his last year anyway, I can't see Houllier picking Guzan over him so we'd end up buying a new keeper next year/ January - fair enough.

Carew probably has one or two years left and we already know that we need to buy a new striker partner for Gabby.

Houllier is one of the best managers available IMO. I'd be happy if we got him. Though he's not a "Mourinho", he is a big manager.

Also, though Houllier's made some okay/good/bad signings, I think that Randy will still say that we want to keep our British spine in our squad and also use our youth. Part of the statement the other day was to "work with the existing strengths in the squad" (or something like that)..