Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting tweet from villa_insider too

#AVFC This place is buzzing this morning. I'm thinking something's going to happen today.

and another 6 minutes ago

Villa_Insider #AVFC This is NOT confirmed and just the rumour flying around the office. I'm NOT saying it's definite. Houllier.

interesting tweet from villa_insider too

#AVFC This place is buzzing this morning. I'm thinking something's going to happen today.

and another 6 minutes ago

Villa_Insider #AVFC This is NOT confirmed and just the rumour flying around the office. I'm NOT saying it's definite. Houllier.

All of which they could write from reading forums.

If they wanted to proove they were at VP, they could take a picture from somewhere with the date written on it.

The idea of Houllier is a grower, as long as he was running first team affairs and not Mac, I don't mind Mac being involved but I'd want Houllier to have the reigns. Great experience, a winner, imaginative in the transfer market, and the know-how of England and the English game.

I am warming to Houlier think it would be a great appointment

Would be a shockingly poor appointment IMO. Played god awful football at Liverpool and spent a fortune on puke players like Diouf,Bruno Cheyrou, Djibril Cissé, and Salif Diao. Did little with the Lyon side that Le Guen built (Yes I know he won the league twice but Lyon were getting worse not better under him).

Awful.

Awful.

Awful.

Awful.

Would be a shockingly poor appointment IMO. Played god awful football at Liverpool and spent a fortune on puke players like Diouf,Bruno Cheyrou, Djibril Cissé, and Salif Diao. Did little with the Lyon side that Le Guen built (Yes I know he won the league twice but Lyon were getting worse not better under him).

Awful.

Awful.

Awful.

Awful.

So he did nothing good at Liverpool?

Didn't Houlliers's Liverpool get arse raped by MON's Celtic. At Anfield?

I hope he's learnt from then. And can find a Robbie Fowler to bail him out in games.

Whoeer it is HAS to come in as manager, not DOF. The thought of Kev Mac dealing with tactics after his first choice midfield being the lightweight combo of Petrov and Ireland isn't a confidence filler.

In July 1998, Houllier was invited to become joint team manager of Liverpool Football Club, together with Roy Evans. The arrangement did not work out and Roy Evans resigned in November after losing to Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 at home in the League Cup prior to that defeat Liverpool were knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Spanish side Celta Vigo, leaving Houllier in sole charge of the team.

Houllier began what he described as a five-year program to rebuild the team, starting in 1999. That summer, Paul Ince, David James, Jason McAteer, Rob Jones, Tony Warner and Steve Harkness were all sold, while Steve McManaman left on a free. At the same time eight new players, Sami Hyypiä, Dietmar Hamann, Stéphane Henchoz, Vladimír Šmicer, Sander Westerveld, Titi Camara, Eric Meijer and Djimi Traoré were all signed. Also, Liverpool's training facilities at Melwood were thoroughly overhauled.

The rebuilding continued in 2000, with the signings of Markus Babbel, Nicky Barmby, Pegguy Arphexad, Grégory Vignal, Emile Heskey, Gary McAllister, Igor Bišćan and Christian Ziege, as well as the departures of David Thompson, Phil Babb, Dominic Matteo, Steve Staunton, Brad Friedel and Stig Inge Bjørnebye

The efforts yielded a result in the successful 2000–01 season, when Liverpool won a cup treble of the League Cup, the FA Cup and the UEFA Cup and finished third in the English Premier League. Liverpool went on to win the FA Community Shield against Manchester United and UEFA Super Cup against Bayern Munich.

In October 2001, after falling ill at half time in the Liverpool's Premier League match with Leeds United, Houllier was rushed to hospital for an emergency operation when he suffered a dissected aorta. With the help of caretaker manager Phil Thompsonhe guided Liverpool to the second-place finish in the league, their best record in the Premiership. Houllier returned to active management of the club after five months. An example of his infallibility came when Houllier substituted the defensive midfielder Dietmar Hamann with winger Vladimír Šmicer in an away match against Bayer Leverkusen in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final. The scoreline was 1-1 with Bayer needing two goals to win. With a gap in the defense, however, Liverpool was exposed to endless attacks, and Liverpool failed to advance to the semi-final.[2]

In the 2002-2003 Liverpool finished in the fifth place in the Premiership, failing to qualify for the Champions League next season. Critics blamed Houllier's unsuccessful summer signings in 2002, namely El Hadji Diouf (Lens, £10 million), Salif Diao (Sedan, £5 million) and Bruno Cheyrou (Lille, £4 million), and his failure to make Nicolas Anelka's loan move permanent in favour of signing the ineffective Diouf. Houllier's failure to replace creative talents such as Gary McAllister and Jari Litmanen was also criticized.[3][4]

A lack of success in the following seasons when Liverpool struggled to qualify for the Champions League despite substantial investment in players, with what was perceived as negative one-dimensional tactics and unattractive football, a poor youth policy, his constant mention of "turning corners" [5] and a lack of support from fans [6] led to Houllier's departure from Liverpool on 24 May 2004. During a press conference leading up to his departure Houllier said, 'If they want to go back to the '70s & '80s they can do that but not with me' shortly after Houllier left the press conference.

After reading that, im not extremely impressed.. plus he's 62 and is coming into the last 4 year contract he will inevitably be given. I'm not saying he would be terrible, just not what I think Villa should be looking for.

Awful.

Awful.

Awful.

Some of what you say is right but 3 trophies in one season never out of Champions League and Benitez won the big one with the majority of his players . For me a very good candidate out of whats availiable . I want Mark Hughes above anybody but it aint happening

Awful.

For me if we employ Houllier, what will Carew and Friedel think, both treated badly by him for previous clubs! I don't get this long term thing by appointing Houllier, will our football change, I'd say not! We need a manager who can take us forwards lol!

Like him or not, Curbishley is highly qualified and available. This alone is a reason for Randy to interview him and seriously consider him. If Randy is serious about the wellbeing of the club he will want to be thorough and listen to what people like Curbishley have to say about their vision for the club - if only to have some point of comparison for other candidates. After all, knowing what you don't want is often as important as knowing what you do want.

At the end of the day, if Curbishley got the job it would be because he was able to articulate and sell a vision for the club and its future that is on the same page as Randy's - and if Randy feels that he is the man to take us forward and a man with whom he can work closely, then it would be a good thing for the club - as long as Curbs can deliver on his vision.

At this point in time though, having an interview merely means he is one of the stronger candidates, not the favourite.

This x 100

Curbishley's record is of mediocrity. He has never managed a club that has ambitions of winning trophies or breaking into the top four. I don't understand why he keeps being touted as 'highly qualified' and a 'good benchmark'. He is not. If we appoint him we will go backwards. Mark my words.

For me if we employ Houllier, what will Carew and Friedel think, both treated badly by him for previous clubs! I don't get this long term thing by appointing Houllier, will our football change, I'd say not! We need a manager who can take us forwards lol!

id say its an improvement. We'll only have two player who dont like the manager. As opposed to Davies, Reo Coker, Sidwell, Heskey, Luke Young, Beye, Bannan, Delfonso, etc, etc :winkold: