Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Dave Woodhall spouts something on a forum that might have been fed to him on purpose, although not necessarily true.

Shock horror journo reads forum and reports it.

I suspect it is true, I also suspect it was leaked on purpose, thats the way it works at Villa now. Its all whispers and rumours, we even appear to have officially endorsed leakers these days, who certain sections of fans hang on their every breath treating it as gospel (not necessarily DW in this instance as I'm not aware of what he posts on H&V as I don't read it). This manipulation of ideas by rumour is getting rather depressing

'ello 'ello! ;)

McLeish in Blues bust-up

Alex McLeish's future at Birmingham has been thrown into doubt after talks over a new deal stalled.

The former Rangers and Scotland chief has been in talks with Blues officials over a new contract for some time, but as yet no deal has been agreed between all parties.

Birmingham were keen to reward McLeish with a new deal after guiding them to ninth spot last season on the back of winning promotion to the Premier League the season before.

The contract talks have been dragging on for a number of weeks now with Birmingham vice-chairman Peter Pannu claiming McLeish is asking for too much money.

McLeish is also thought to have fallen out with the Birmingham board following a jibe from Pannu that the Scot is 'no Jose Mourinho'.

"I have been in talks with his representative and he was asking for a very large amount of money which I was not prepared to meet," Pannu told the Daily Star.

Untried

Pannu admits McLeish deserved a bonus for his performance last year, but he felt the Scot was still not the finished article.

"He has not been tried and tested yet," added Pannu. "The club was relegated, then promoted and last year we stayed up, so he has done well.

"But to suggest that he is in the top class like a Mourinho, well, he is no Mourinho yet. The ball is in his court."

McLeish, when asked about his contract situation, refused to discuss developments, saying: "I don't want to talk about it.

"We've signed three players and that's all I want to talk about."

Here are my thoughts on the Villa candidates. Enjoy.

Curbishley - will take us back to the dark days of long ball uninventive football. I for one don't want him in charge. Promotion and a cup final, not enough in my opinion.

Sven - could be good but I'd like to see KMac working with him. Has won plenty of trophies at club level.

Houllier - lost it at Liverpool and blew a lot of cash on rubbish players but wouldn't be the worst and he has a record of winning trophies.

Koeman - should not be ruled out. Three Dutch league titles, one Dutch Cup, two Dutch Super Cups, one Portuguese Super Cup and a Copa Del Rey.

McLeish - would cause ructions in the Midlands and would be a good appointment in my opinion. Would be great to get one over the noses and firmly put them in their place!

Klinsmann - great job with the German national team and not given much time to impress at Bayern (less than a year). His personality would certainly give the club a lift in terms of the media and I think the fans would like him, to start with at least!

Jol - would be happy with him but I can't see him leaving Ajax.

Moyes - great record at Everton although lacking in silverware but could prove to be a great appointment if given a little money.

Southgate - a thoroughly nice bloke but his next job should be in the lower leagues. Relegating Middlesbrough is not enough to be given the Villa job and I haven't totally forgiven him for leaving for 'Champions League football' to end up at the Riverside.

Hoddle - no way. I have heard to many stories to make me 100% sure he would be a disaster. If he becomes manager I will not be setting foot into Villa Park until he leaves.

- Gerard Houllier is also thought to be under consideration after some unconfirmed reports suggesting Lerner had paid the former Liverpool manager a visit in Corsica - it remains possible that Kevin MacDonald, the reserve manager currently overseeing first team affairs in a caretaker role, could still be retained in the role of head coach with a director of football alongside him.

Clicky

Looks like the media picked up on what GaztonVilla said about Houllier being in Corsica after TheTrees said Randy was flying back from there.

Curbs has never reached a cup final. My mistake. There is no way he as good as O'Neill so this appointment would only take us backwards. Plus anyone in the media that mentions him being a former Villa player should bear in mind that he played far more games for the noses!