Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Which others Richard?
Well , and this is my opinion so open to non agreement but I would say Houllier is better than

Southgate, Curbishley, Mclaren, Macdonald, Phil Brown

On a par with Sven and Koemann

Not as good as Moyes, Jol or the late runner that is Mcleish

Way behind Sven, Moyes and Jol, and probably McClaren. On par with Curbs and Koemann way in front of K-Mac, Brown and Southgate.

In my opinion of course.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imaginative in the transfer market,

Heh. Houllier's absolutely terrible in the transfer market. DO NOT WANT.

He also made a lot of good signings.

Even MON made bad signings, they're still at the club.

He didn't make a lot of good signings, he made a few of them. And he was managing Liverpool, who could attract almost everyone.

He/Liverpool did attract almost everyone.

1 × UEFA Cup: 2000-01

1 × UEFA Super Cup: 2001

1 × FA Cup: 2000-2001

2 × Football League Cup: 2000-2001, 2002-03

1 × FA Community Shield: 2001

That's what he won with some of the signings he made.

I'd be happy if he did that here too.

Think he'd do the same at Villa that he did at Liverpool? Its as easy here?

We have one of the best defences in the league as show last season...for the most part.

It's just the other areas of our team that needs working on....I can't see why we can't win Silverware.

I'm a little uneasy with the idea of Houllier as manager or DOF.

I very much doubt I will be over the moon with whoever is appointed, as I rated MON as a very good manager, and twice as good as any of the reported candidates. That of course does not mean I'll not support the new man, but I suspect I'll have my reservations.

Oh and FWIW I do not like the idea of a DOF for me they just do not work. We need a manager not a DOF.

The board very much need more football people on it or more football nouse but a DOF is not the way to go for me

Very much my thinking, too.

It needs a David Dein on the board, not a Gerard Houiller.

Will be lots of unhappy people whoever it is.

Randy stuck between a rock and hard place!

I'll be 60quid better off though :)

It's just what General Krulak said Jez, it might not be the right man for some of the fans, but it will be the right man for the club.

Some fans will not be pleased...Some will, you just can't please everyone when trying to please 40,000+ people.

Oh and FWIW I do not like the idea of a DOF for me they just do not work. We need a manager not a DOF.

The board very much need more football people on it or more football nouse but a DOF is not the way to go for me

I agree. Lots of unanswered questions for me if this is the route. I mean

who picks the team?

who identifies players to buy and sell?

who picks the tactics?

who picks the team?

who picks the tactics?

With GED as DOF, and MAC as head coach?

who picks the team? MAC

who identifies players to buy and sell? MAC + GED in partnership/consultation.

who picks the tactics? MAC

seems quite simple to me.

My problem with Houllier.

1) He's old and had health problems in the past.

2) He hasn't managed in a couple of years.

3) He has bought some duds such as Fred, Diouf, Diao, Heskey :lol:, Ziege, Barmby, Cheyrou and Kewell.

However...

1) He has been working with the French youth development, so may know a few gems.

2) He has been successful in past.

3) Transfers that have been successful: Alou Diarra, Kallstrom, Toulalan, Hyypia, Riise and Finnan.

The problem here is that his bad deals have been very bad with the money spent, but he has also picked up some bargains. I wouldn't mind him as manager though, I'd just prefer others, not that there are many.

Houllier will raise our profile, if nothing else.

Plus he'll earn me £100 if it happens!!

He'd certainly raise our profile in France, which could only be good for those of us who live there. I'm fed up of seeing about 10 seconds of Villa for every ten minutes of Arsène talking about Arsenal. Having Houiller would certainly even that up a bit.

That aside, I'm not sure it would be the best appointment, especially if it was as Director of Football with MacDonald still in charge of the players.

I'd rather take a gamble on Klinsmann, if he could be persuaded to come.

who picks the team?

who picks the tactics?

who picks the team? - Kev Mac

who identifies players to buy and sell? - GH

who picks the tactics? - Kev Mac

Simples.

Seems Alex Mcleish has hit the buffers at Blues, with Pannu refusing to give him the pay rise he wants. Pannu also telling the press that Alex is "no Mouriniho" and that he will not give in to his demands!!

Sky Sports.

Not being funny here, but hes a lot better than Curbishley and a few others that have been mentioned here, and i really would love to shut those chavs up.

who picks the team? - Kev Mac

who identifies players to buy and sell? - GH

who picks the tactics? - Kev Mac

On point #2 I'd expand it and say KMac identifies gaps in the squad and gives GH the criteria needed, then GH identifies who the solution is.

Seems Alex Mcleish has hit the buffers at Blues, with Pannu refusing to give him the pay rise he wants. Pannu also telling the press that Alex is "no Mouriniho" and that he will not give in to his demands!!

Sky Sports.

Not being funny here, but hes a lot better than Curbishley and a few others that have been mentioned here, and i really would love to shut those chavs up.

I'll always have the memory of McLeish chanting "F**K off Villa" at me in the Sunderland Marriott hotel when I came out of the gym in my Villa top. Granted he was smiling and probably just joking...