Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Houllier is pretty old and his health is not great. I can't see him being the manager to build a dynasty so to speak.

I think if we are bringing him in it will be as director of football with KM under him IMO. Perhaps with KM being replaced at the end of the season if results are not as good as hoped and better managers become available.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FC Köln

Following this, he managed his former club 1. FC Köln, also in the 2. Fußball-Bundesliga, but was unable to get the club promoted and so left. In 2000, he applied for the manager job at Scottish club Dundee FC but the Dundee chairman rejected his application.

Xerez CD

In 2001 he received an offer from the small club Xerez CD in Southern Spain and he managed the team, very successfully, for two seasons; the second and third best seasons in the history of the club. However, he could not promote the team to Primera Division.

Shakhtar Donetsk

In 2003, he accepted a deal to coach the Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk where he established a club record number of consecutive victories. However, the team did not win the championship and did not reach the final round of the Champions League with a match against Lokomotiv Moscow. Schuster was fired one week before his team played and won the Ukrainian Cup in 2004.

Levante

He went back to Spain in summer 2004 to coach Levante UD and made a good start with the small club from Valencia. The president fired him with a 5-point advantage over the relegation places just five games from the end of the season. Levante could not win a game and fell to Segunda División (Spanish second division) again.

Getafe

In summer 2005, Getafe CF, a small side from Madrid, had their best season in team history under his guidance. Schuster coached Getafe in their second successful season and the team did even better, 7th in La Liga. Getafe have also secured entry to the 2007-08 UEFA Cup as a result of reaching the final of the Copa del Rey after overcoming a 5-2 first leg defeat against Barcelona, beating them 4-0 in the second leg.

Real Madrid

Real Madrid players celebrating their win in the Spanish Supercopa in the 2007-2008 seasonSchuster was then appointed manager of Real Madrid on 9 July 2007.[3] He was required to buy-out his existing contract with Getafe for €480,000, which he paid for out of his own pocket. He made a successful start with Real taking them to top of the La Liga standings. As manager beautiful football returned again to the Santiago Bernabeu stadium with Real Madrid having the strongest offence, not beaten at home from the start of the league and defeating their arch rival Barcelona at their home ground Camp Nou with a goal scored by Julio Baptista thus increasing their lead to seven points between them and the second place (Barcelona). The team also qualified to the second round of the UEFA Champions League leading their group which also contained Olympiacos, Werder Bremen and S.S. Lazio. He improved Real Madrid's style of play significantly. He managed to switch from the unattractive defensive football during the reign of Fabio Capello to fast paced, attacking football. After losing 2-1 to AS Roma in the second leg of the UEFA Champions League which meant the elimination of Real Madrid, many doubted that Schuster would continue to be Madrid's coach, but the club denied such allegations.

On 4 May 2008, Schuster guided Real Madrid to their 31st title with 3 games to spare.[4] On 18 May 2008, Schuster's Real Madrid achieved the highest point total (85 points) a record that was set by rivals Barcelona. He then went on to win the 2008 Spanish Super Cup.[5]

On 9 December 2008 Schuster stepped down [6] as manager after a 4-3 defeat to Sevilla FC, and speaking out publicly about his team standing no chance of beating Barcelona in the El Clásico derby match.[7] He was replaced by Juande Ramos, former Sevilla FC and Tottenham Hotspur coach.

Xerez

On 5 December 2009 he announced he will buy his former club Xerez[8] and the former Real Madrid coach is interested to managing Xerez starting from January and has already contacted the club's chairman Joaquin Morales.[9] The German coach previously worked at Xerez CD from 2001 to 2003.[8]

Beşiktaş

On 10 June 2010, Turkish club Beşiktaş announced that Schuster had agreed to become the club's new manager on a two-year contract.[10] Among his first signings for the club were Portuguese winger Ricardo Quaresma and former Real midfielder Guti, who was coached by Schuster at Madrid.

I want him..stupid Beskitas :cry:

Houllier>Curbs.

I remember reading an interview with Mathias Svensson a couple of years ago and he said that none of the Charlton players had any respect for him and was just laughing to each other at his outbursts in the dressing room. According to him Curbs wasn't really good at tactics or anything. I don't want Curbs.

So he did nothing good at Liverpool?

Where did I say that?

Yes he won a cup treble but given the money he spent/wasted he under achieved at liverpool IMO. Plus the style of football liverpool played was an assault on the eyes. After MON it would be nice to have a manager that actually played some football that was reasonably decent to watch.

From Wiki - Liverpool under houiller LINK

First season

OUT's Paul Ince, David James, Jason McAteer, Rob Jones, Tony Warner , Steve Harkness and Steve McManaman

IN's: Sami Hyypiä, Dietmar Hamann, Stéphane Henchoz, Vladimír Šmicer, Sander Westerveld, Titi Camara, Eric Meijer and Djimi Traoré

Second season.

OUTS:David Thompson, Phil Babb, Dominic Matteo, Steve Staunton, Brad Friedel and Stig Inge Bjørnebye

IN's: Markus Babbel, Nicky Barmby, Pegguy Arphexad, Grégory Vignal, Emile Heskey, Gary McAllister, Igor Bišćan and Christian Ziege.

A lack of success in the following seasons when Liverpool struggled to qualify for the Champions League despite substantial investment in players, with what was perceived as negative one-dimensional tactics and unattractive football, a poor youth policy, his constant mention of "turning corners" and a lack of support from fans led to Houllier's departure from Liverpool on 24 May 2004.

I think when you lay out someone's entire managerial history like has been done with Curbishley, Schuster and Houllier on this thread, it really would take a very exceptional manager to sound good. Petty much every manager has failed somewhere along the line.

I'd be happy with the appointment of Houllier or Curbishley, and would support anyone the board picked after conducting interviews for the job. The only things that worry me about Houllier are his health and his age. Plus, I think he'd be after a 'Director of Football' role, leaving KMac as first team coach. I think I'd rather either a manager, or for the board to appoint both parts of that Coach + DOF team, rather than hope that KMac and Houllier get along.

Houllier is pretty old and his health is not great. I can't see him being the manager to build a dynasty so to speak.

I think if we are bringing him in it will be as director of football with KM under him IMO. Perhaps with KM being replaced at the end of the season if results are not as good as hoped and better managers become available.

Exactermundo.

I think it's nailed on that IF gEd H comes here, it would be as DOF with Big Mac acting as head coach.

An interesting new approach. Could be good.

I think it's nailed on that IF gEd H comes here, it would be as DOF with Big Mac acting as head coach.

An interesting new approach. Could be good.

Are people not always saying that the director of football approach doesn't work? Can anyone name a club in england where it has worked successfully? If we go down the DOF route we are headed down a bad road IMO.

Houllier is better than some of the names we have been linked with but not as good as others.

Out of the realistic options - who would you take above Houllier?

(When i say realistic im discounting Moyes, Jol and anyone else who happens to be in a top job)

After reading that, im not extremely impressed.. plus he's 62 and is coming into the last 4 year contract he will inevitably be given. I'm not saying he would be terrible, just not what I think Villa should be looking for.

even though he won the treble :shock:

people need to get realistic we are not man united, or chelsea. if w ecan attract someone like houllier would be a major coup for us. be fantastic if he came

Who wouldn't you gun down Villa89?

I dunno, I look at the list of candidates and I feel like Rambo with a Minigun. Anyone decent is probably unattainable at the moment, mainly due to the exceptionally bad timing of MON's walkout :(