Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy's flights to Europe at this sensitive time give me hope that it will not be MacDonald. It tells me he is trying hard to get someone else. Or else it's me reading wrongly into it :)

Or he's trying hard to catch the last of the summer sunshine :)

Randy's flights to Europe at this sensitive time give me hope that it will not be MacDonald. It tells me he is trying hard to get someone else. Or else it's me reading wrongly into it :)

Or, more likely, he's already given the nod to KM and no longer needs to be here. Let people keep up the pretence that we're looking at all the options and dart off before transfer window closes just to ensure not a penny can be spent. Successful summer - few players sold/ released. Less management. All results in cheaper wage bill. Oh and £19m in bank. Nice work.

Just on BBC Transfer Deadline Page

artillery_john-TW14 on 606: "Martin O'Neill is being brought in to replace the outbound David Moyes at Everton. Moyes will make Mikel Arteta his first signing as the new Aston Villa boss."

If it is Macdonald will he be bringing in people to work alongside him at reserve team level and below? Since MON left there is a huge gap in the back room team infrastructure

Or, more likely, he's already given the nod to KM and no longer needs to be here. Let people keep up the pretence that we're looking at all the options and dart off before transfer window closes just to ensure not a penny can be spent. Successful summer - few players sold/ released. Less management. All results in cheaper wage bill. Oh and £19m in bank. Nice work.
I don't see that as being more likely. He wouldn't be jetting off here there and everywhere at this point in time for no reason. It is of course possible that he is holidaying and fannying around, but it is more likely that he is trying to hire someone to run his football club.

I think Klinsman is in the frame, as someone previously mentioned. I know he doesn't fit the club statement about Prem managerial experience, but consider this:

1. timing - Bradley gets a new contract from the US, which goes against conventional wisdom as the USMNT has been trying to get Klinsman for years now. Perhaps JK told them he is taking another job, and Bradley was told no way on the Villa job, and the US really has little choice.

2. New UEFA rules and FA rules on self sustaining and homegrown players - JK is a big proponent of setting up a system to develop young talent to be brought through in a certain style (academy) eventually making it to the first team. This allows Villa, already with a strong academy, to develop in house, homegrown talent that can be signed up on long term contracts at reasonable wages until the players become stars. Then you give them a raise, or sell high and invest.

JK has a plan for this, and I think Randy would be listening closely with the new rules, and Man City changing the game.

Just a thought.

artillery_john-TW14 on 606: "Martin O'Neill is being brought in to replace the outbound David Moyes at Everton. Moyes will make Mikel Arteta his first signing as the new Aston Villa boss."

I don't think so.

artillery_john shooting in the dark

How on earth is that 'more likely'?? Very cynical imo. I'm sure RL is doing his upmost to get the best man for the job, and i'm sure he know's that that isn't Mac. I'm hoping that Mac is way down on RL's shortlist.

One other problem I have with KMAC is that while I love to see our prospects coming through, does anyone else think he may perhaps have a little bit TOO much faith in the reserves given his bias, or experience with them thus far, especially if the news about a loan deal for the Chelsea reserve left back is on the cards.

That will be the Arteta that has just signed a 5 year contract.

Costly!!!

I think Klinsman is in the frame, as someone previously mentioned. I know he doesn't fit the club statement about Prem managerial experience, but consider this:

1. timing - Bradley gets a new contract from the US, which goes against conventional wisdom as the USMNT has been trying to get Klinsman for years now. Perhaps JK told them he is taking another job, and Bradley was told no way on the Villa job, and the US really has little choice.

2. New UEFA rules and FA rules on self sustaining and homegrown players - JK is a big proponent of setting up a system to develop young talent to be brought through in a certain style (academy) eventually making it to the first team. This allows Villa, already with a strong academy, to develop in house, homegrown talent that can be signed up on long term contracts at reasonable wages until the players become stars. Then you give them a raise, or sell high and invest.

JK has a plan for this, and I think Randy would be listening closely with the new rules, and Man City changing the game.

Just a thought.

Personally, I think Klinsman is the guy Randy would be after also.

When Randy took over there were rumours that he wanted Klinsman but Doug had put forward O'Neil and the club went with that.

I think he will now be Lerners first choice. He has prem experience as a player so perhaps that shouldn't rule him out.