Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Install a caretaker manager who has taken 3 weeks to decide whether he wants the job or not. Yea really inspiring stuff, with the greatest respect thanks but no thanks.

Yes because everything is that simple. Forget the whole think before you act, it's irrelevant. :notsure:

You don't just take the managerial job because it's Aston Villa ffs.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I know very few will agree with me but I would give it to Kev Mac and bring in a Director of Football.

If we could get someone like Jol I would be happier, but I definitely would not give it to Sven, Curbishley, Southgate, Allardyce and all those other losers and has-beens

As I said on Sunday, I was told by someone who would definitely know, that the job was Kevin's if he wanted it. So the statement yesterday threw the cat among the pigeons setting PL experience as a base criteria. I still think he may get it. If he does, he will need the backing of the fans not all the vitriol that I have heard spouted recently. He was on a hiding to nothing when he took over as caretaker and was let down badly by the players against Rapid and Newcastle. Their do or die performance on Sunday was for him.

Well lets hope not.

He got is completely wrong against Rapid, he got it completely wrong against Newcastle, and he got his original team selection for Everton wrong - had Ireland started they would have been even more dominent through our middle. We needed a change during the Everton game, something the stregthen us up. He stood there and did nothing.

'Do or die' or 'lucky that Everton had Jermain Beckford up front'? Appoint KM and not only will we be looking for a new manager again come May, but we'll have a struggling season and it'll show all the bollocks about the club still having ambitions , that they want to appoint a top manaager, one with experience of management, was complete and utter bollocks servered only to try to keep fans happy until the end of the transfer window.

Appoint KM, anr Randy will have let down the fans and the club.

OK, I know very few will agree with me but I would give it to Kev Mac and bring in a Director of Football.

If we could get someone like Jol I would be happier, but I definitely would not give it to Sven, Curbishley, Southgate, Allardyce and all those other losers and has-beens

As I said on Sunday, I was told by someone who would definitely know, that the job was Kevin's if he wanted it. So the statement yesterday threw the cat among the pigeons setting PL experience as a base criteria. I still think he may get it. If he does, he will need the backing of the fans not all the vitriol that I have heard spouted recently. He was on a hiding to nothing when he took over as caretaker and was let down badly by the players against Rapid and Newcastle. Their do or die performance on Sunday was for him.

Well lets hope not.

He got is completely wrong against Rapid, he got it completely wrong against Newcastle, and he got his original team selection for Everton wrong - had Ireland started they would have been even more dominent through our middle. We needed a change during the Everton game, something the stregthen us up. He stood there and did nothing.

'Do or die' or 'lucky that Everton had Jermain Beckford up front'? Appoint KM and not only will we be looking for a new manager again come May, but we'll have a struggling season and it'll show all the bollocks about the club still having ambitions , that they want to appoint a top manaager, one with experience of management, was complete and utter bollocks servered only to try to keep fans happy until the end of the transfer window.

Just out of curiousity, will an appointment of Mac say something about the board and MON's resignation.

I agree with McKenna, btw. Either a top class manager or Mac. No inbetween.

If he gets the job he should get our full support. I'd you think Sunday was lucky then 70% of Mon's wins were lucky. I'd rather he didn't but if he does moan to the general but support Kevin! Personally I think he'd have learnt very quickly re naive tactics after Newcastle and rapid. Like I said more experience is definitely better but if it's Kevin I won't be howling to the moon in histrionic despair

Would rather want this guy than Moyes.

Bookmaker William Hill has reduced Hughes’ odds from 12-1 to 3-1 favourite after they noticed a trend in high-profile bettors backed Hughes to leave his post at Fulham for Villa Park

That would be "high profile bettors" that read The Times this morning then. Hardly inside info, me thinks.

Very disappointed that we won't see any strengthening of the team and despite all of the denials to the contrary I can't get past the thought that feet have been deliberately dragged at boardroom level over this. I mean why wait until the international break after the Everton game? MON has been gone a while now and...oh f*ck it, what will be will be I guess - it's just not very inspiring.

Well lets hope not.

Who would you consider to be a "top manager" then? I dont want someone who has "experience" but is useless. I repeat if we could get someone of Jol's stature I would be happy - but what if it was Sven, Southgate, Curbishley or Allardyce - NO THANK YOU!!

KM has been coaching at the club for 15 years and took 3 weeks to decide to throw his hat into the ring. Doesn't strike me as a man with the fire in his belly or ambition to take on the pressure pot that is a premiership managerial role.

A respected coach who perhaps deserves to be more involved in the first team? Yes.

Manager? No.

and he got his original team selection for Everton wrong - had Ireland started they would have been even more dominent through our middle.

Subjective. Curiously I was thinking how leaving one up for each of Everton's 18 corners at least gave the defence some relief. Had it been last season with 11 men in our own box, we would surely have conceded. But then that is subjective as well.

We needed a change during the Everton game, something the stregthen us up. He stood there and did nothing.

From where I was sitting we looked pretty damn strong, which may have been something to do with the fact that Everton's clear cut chances were few and we didn't concede.

Yea because DoF's have a great history.

If he gets the the job now it is a woeful decision. The rest of the country is laughing at the man when he says in a coy manner it's 'too soon' to decide whether he wants the job after the everton game.

Coups of war have been strategised in less time than this man has had.

After zero activity in the transfer market, our ex-manager walking out, a couple of dismal displays on the pitch and the release of the latest club statement and we appoint a manager without an iota of top level managerial experience. It's soul-destroying stuff.

Agree with Pilchard regarding Randy letting us down and filling us with waffle if we end up with MacDonald. And I said for a while, although it was more a conspiracy theory up until today, that we were using our search for a manager as a convenient way to allow the transfer window to expire and not spend any money.

It would appear as though MacDonald's interest in the job has come at just the right time. Phew, eh?

It depends what the other candidates are like though doesn't it? I'd still prefer K Mac on a semi-permanent basis until we can get someone good enough than appoint the likes of Curbishley.

JOL would still be my favourite, although it seems unlikely. Hughes or Moyes would be sufficient, but not particularly exciting. Both are currently employed though.

Sven, **** no. Koeman doesn't have any PL experience.

I don't know.

Install a caretaker manager who has taken 3 weeks to decide whether he wants the job or not. Yea really inspiring stuff, with the greatest respect thanks but no thanks.

Yes because everything is that simple. Forget the whole think before you act, it's irrelevant. :notsure:

You don't just take the managerial job because it's Aston Villa ffs.

Of course you do!!

Aston Villa FC are 'supposed' to be one of the biggest clubs in the world. Despite the obviois financial restraints, it still amazes me that many more managers haven't thrown their hat in the ring to manage such a big club.

For me, much as I like KM, he just doesnt come accross as passionate enough. To dither around deciding if it is the 'right move' for him after being at the club for the last 16 years shocks me. He has sat in the shadows so to speak watching, and probably disagreeing with previous managers tactics, transfers and training and MUST have thought, 'I could do better, I would LOVE to have a go at that job'..

Shame he doesnt show it in his interviews..

Agree with Pilchard regarding Randy letting us down and filling us with waffle if we end up with MacDonald. And I said for a while, although it was more a conspiracy theory up until today, that we were using our search for a manager as a convenient way to allow the transfer window to expire and not spend any money.

It would appear as though MacDonald's interest in the job has come at just the right time. Phew, eh?

The very fact that he has taken so long to decide tells me he isn't right for the job. Being Villa manager is a tough job. You need to really want it, and I'm not sure that MacDonald really does. I suspect he might view this as an opportunity he won't get again, rather than his dream job.

Who would you consider to be a "top manager" then? I dont want someone who has "experience" but is useless. I repeat if we could get someone of Jol's stature I would be happy - but what if it was Sven, Southgate, Curbishley or Allardyce - NO THANK YOU!!

I'm not the one who has put a statement on the OS claiming to have consulted people with links in the football world about managers. Allardyce and Sven are both more experienced, have acheived success in what they've done. Look at it this way - if MacDonald hadn't spent the last 15 years looking after players who are not good enough for the first team at Villa, and had done it at Everton, would you think he's a good person for the job?

His tactics, particularly in the Newcastle game (too wide), and Vienna (the opposite - too narrow) were poor. He failed to change things when needed. The Everton game saw us go out there with the prime idea of not getting beat. Everton had all the possession, and in reality the only thing that made it different to the Newcastle game was Everton were useless up front.

From where I was sitting we looked pretty damn strong, which may have been something to do with the fact that Everton's clear cut chances were few and we didn't concede.

...and out clear cut chances even fewer. Everton looked like nicking one through most of that second half IMO.

Appoint MacDonald and he'll be gone at the end of the season and we'll be starting once again. We'll flirt with the drop zone and the worse teams than us we do us a favour and be even worse and he'll be asked to step down.