Barry Bannan

villianusa

Think in a team that's is playing passing possession football he will be extremely good for us...him, el ahmadi and Ireland could link up very well....

The only concern I would have is how those three would work when needing to regain possession, or against a team that stops us passing.

that depends on how PL organises them, you don't have to be a massive bastard to win the ball back. look at barca when they lose the ball, or what about makalele? remember him, he wasn't exactly built like a brick shit house was he?

if PL can get this group to run well off the ball and hunt in packs, there's no reason why bannan and ireland can't be very usefull in teh defensive phase too. i know they aren't exactly noted for tackling, but organised well applying pressure and closing space then they can help get it back plenty well enough IMO.

I never actually mentioned size......I agree that with some good organisation it could work, just think in some games we may need an extra body in there (maybe just going with one up front). But then we have all been told that PL likes to change formations and tactics so hopefully he will pick up on what's needed.

Hope BB Will have a big season

Hope BB Will have a big season

yeah me too, soz, missed your point a bit then re: size etc. and your right about PL playing diff formations.

seems we agree that BB has something to offer though, i think he could turn out to be a cracking little player if used right and in the right company. hopefully PL will get the chemistry right and we'll all be in for a treat in a few weeks :)

Bannan will be shipped out soon enough when Lambert has been given enough funds to reshape our whole squad. He simply isn't good enough and continually using whatever excuse comes to mind will not hide that fact. I hope he is nowhere near our first team come the start of the season.

If you can't see the potential in Bannan then you should probably give up on watching football.

How long do you hang onto potential?

Luxury player, too lightweight, constantly overcomplicates his game and will be surprised if he is here at the end of the season.

Beauty (or in this case talent) is in the eye of the beholder.

Been putting bannan on the back of my shirt for years now, really I just love seeing someone come through the academy and into the 1st team. I can understand the criticisms of him though when people refer to him as a luxury player, however I think its more a case that so far he's been made to look luxury, and the best is to come hopefully by the end of the calendar year

as I said before, the main reason I like Bannan is that he is one of only few Villa players who actually want the ball, he might lose it a lot but fact he wants ball is a change. Really hope he shines under Lambert

Could this be THE season for Bannan? It seems to me that Lambert has put alot of faith in Bannan, judging the pre season games, handing him the captaincy and so on.

Will he be able to do the defensive work and the pressing? Hope so! The vision, passing and left foot he has.

Hopefully he will shine for us.

Even if he's a good squad player this season, that's enough for me, if when he's called in to the squad he plays really well and he's reliable to call upon, that's enough for me for this season.

I think it's do or die for Bannan this season.

He has talent, but I can't help but think he'd be better suited to the Dutch or French league. I'm not sure he's cut out for English football.

If he does get it together, learns to play the simple ball more often and gets some consistency, he could become a decent player for us mind.

Even if he's a good squad player this season, that's enough for me, if when he's called in to the squad he plays really well and he's reliable to call upon, that's enough for me for this season.

That's a lot of 'ifs'.

Very true. That's the problem unfortunately. I am hopeful we may see some good things from him under Lambert though, he seems to have clicked with him.

This season, with Lambert giving him the rope to either hang himself or lariat , he'll sink or swim. His final season to fly or die.

So. Many. Clichés.

:lol: I tried to get in as many as I could think of!!

That's a lot of 'ifs'.

Technically two. In reality only one. "If" he's a good squad player then we should be happy with that.

I want more and I think he's capable of more.

That's a lot of 'ifs'.

Technically two. In reality only one. "If" he's a good squad player then we should be happy with that.

I want more and I think he's capable of more.

Of more 'ifs'?

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen enough of Bannan to know he is a powder puff lightweight player that is expensive in trying to keep possession, crap competing for balls in the air, can't win a tackle, not really quick. Just what exactly is his speciality? I think he needs to be moved on permanently.

I've never been a big fan of him. The love in that some people on VT have for Bannan is baffling. He's a Championship player at best. He shows the odd little glimpse of hope occasionally but that's about it. Holloway liked him when Bannan was on loan at Blackpool. We should throw him in as part of a deal to sign Ince or Phillips.