Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

as of yet we haven't made the kind of signing needed this summer that is going to push us on

In fairness, the transfer window is yet to open and the season isn't over for all clubs yet.

(I pretty much agree with the rest of the post though)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it matter from where? I mean I thought we were supposed to be a club going forwards all the time?

Depends how you determine what it is. We are far more forward than the later days of Ellis, although we are backwards on where we were last year but then I'd say forwards on where we were 4 years ago.

How do you actually say we are going backwards/forwards ...compared to what? are Chelsea going backwards because they didn't win anything?

So overly negative for the sake of it at times. Same happened when you told us we have no money and the board wouldn't spend big ...we signed Bent. ....same happened when we were 'certain for relegation under Houllier' and we finished 9th ...it'll be same again....'we're going backwards big time' ....and we'll finish 6th-7th next year.

:thumb: Great post and very true.

If he is that easily replaceable then why would clubs want him and not the someone else we can easily replace him with

Besides which it is more than just this one player, it would be coming on top of Barry, Milner , Young and that sends out a powerful message to other clubs and other better players.

Because wer not competing on a same level Richard.

Your thinking can we replace him and move forward onto the top 4 (which is your frustration I think) -

Reality atm for Villa - Can we replace him with someone who can help get us 9th. I think we can!!

I tend to think of it like this....

What have we won without Barry and Milner??? - Nowt!!

What did we win with Barry and Milner???

The question for me is not can we replace him sith someone as good cos imo its obv we can.

The question is can we replace him with someone better??

and we'll finish 6th-7th next year.

No chance.

6th I think will be tough, 7th? That spot should be ours for the taking and I expect we will do so, especially now with Bent. Our form is top 6 since we signed Bent and considering we haven't been outstanding then I can only see us improving.

I remember being so excited and happy when randy took over and now I just think why?

Why?

Because Ellis and O'Leary would have taken us into the Championship in the 06/07 season.

Instead, Randy took over and we ended up finishing 6th in 3 of his first 4 seasons. 2010/11 was a setback because of the mess O'Neill left us in, but not a setback that we can't recover from.

No chance.

I wouldnt say no chance, but there is a lot to do this summer. I have no problem with players being a little unsettled or being ambitious. The clubs been in a mess this last season. I wouldnt mind a complete new manager with the £35-40 million Downing/Young money + about £20 million from Randy bring on the new season with about 6 new players.

No chance.

I wouldnt say no chance, but there is a lot to do this summer. I have no problem with players being a little unsettled or being ambitious. The clubs been in a mess this last season. I wouldnt mind a complete new manager with the £35-40 million Downing/Young money + about £20 million from Randy bring on the new season with about 6 new players.

I say go for the title!!

Dont see why my dreams and aspirations should fade just because clubs like Man city and Chelsea buy success :twisted:

If management had any wits about them they would put in across some proposals.

First thing I would say is "I respectfully accept your decision not to commit to the villa, however I expect you to professionally honour your contract for the next 2 years...during which we have no intention to accept any other offers from any football clubs and you may if you wish seek alternative employment at the end of the 2 years.".

I would then put the proposition that he accept this and stay on his current wages or we offer an increased 4 year deal with some kind of 2 year clause that we have to accept offers if we dont meet certain targets. This would give us 2 years service + a good payout if he still wants to move after 2 years with the offer of an increased salary, that way it puts us in teh same situation now but safe guarding some money for him at the end of 2 years.

His agent should be reminded that he stands to get squat if we make him see out his 2 year contract but could be in for some sexy time if he gets a cut on an improved current deal.

How would people see that? I dont really like the idea of performance based clauses but it at least gives us what we have now (a player on a 2 year contract) and safe guards some money for the future.

I think this is exactly the sort of thing we need to do! Either that or instead of going for the usual 4 year deal which lets face it it primarily in the best interests of the player in most cases, why not go for a 4year deal but add on the extra 2 year bit as an option right at the start.. So a 4 year with a 2 year extension in the clubs favour/discretion or if the player is not happy at that point we still activate the 2 year extension but he has the right to leave if the right bid comes in?

Something has to break as it is now happening every single season & it is the primary reason we havn't acheived top 4 in my opinion..

absolutely. player and agent power is dominating the game at the moment and its about time someone stood up to it.

what my biggest gripe is, is there is no rule regarding clubs speaking to agents about buying players. liverpool or whoever cannot speak to downing directly but they can contact his agent. hes been tapped up...plain and simple and whether it's directly or indirectly doesnt make it any less so. but the worst part about it is that its well within the rules of the game. it may mean losing out on the £20m or so we will get for him but i say stick 2 fingers up at him and his snake of an agent and make him stay for the next 2 years.

No chance.

How did you work that one out? It's two places above where we are this season and we've been shocking for half of it.

Id say shocking for all of it

The way people talk we should just get a new board every year rather than a new manager.

It really is just that easy and that black and white.

Its extremely disturbing how some fans use the smallest of things to have a go at the board, your like spoilt kids!

Our owners are not spending as much as City, how dare they aim for the best without spending as much, i'm going to stamp my feet until i get a new owner.

Pathetic.

The way people talk we should just get a new board every year rather than a new manager.

Its extremely disturbing how some fans use the smallest of things to have a go at the board, your like spoilt kids!

Our owners are not spending as much as City, how dare they aim for the best without spending as much, i'm going to stamp my feet until i get a new owner.

Pathetic.

Exactly

People misunderstand ambition and think it means spending money!!

Pathetic.

Totally agree!

funny when talking about "ambition" and investment that we so easily forget the £20 mil + we spent just a few months ago, including smashing our transfer record on a top top striker. one comment from a player who has a whole 2 years left here, and where i suspect it is his agent actually talking and we all go crazy again.

downing has 2 years left, and given the current situation at the club, his agent will be advising him not to sit down tomorrow and sign a new deal. i think perhaps his comments today will have largely come from his agent whispering in his ear. the comments downing made the other week, even if they are his actual feelings do not put him in as strong a position when negotiating a new deal. his agent knows this. so he tells him to backtrack a bit, give it the old "i have big ambition, key point in my career" etc etc. if downing makes villa worried that it will be more difficult to keep him, then they are going to give up more when negotiating a new deal. namely more money for downing and thus more for the agent. no doubt the agent has also been shopping downing around to other clubs, again giving them more leverage in contract negotiations.

obviously it would be nice if footballers had some loyalty. we bought downing despite him being crocked, he has got back into the england squad with us etc, so he would repay us by signing a new deal. but that all means nothing to them, they are all mercenary money grabbers, spurred on by the poisonous snakes that are agents. players always blame the club for poor results, lack of success etc. no matter that they are part of the team and their shit performances are actually a massive part of this. they take no responsibility and seem to think they have some divine right to deserve a move to a top club and play at the highest level, even if their performances and talent do not deserve it.

that said, get in some good players this summer, including one or two exciting "marquee" signings and no doubt everything will be good again. such is the world of football, too often its all about the present and a what are you doing for me now attitude.

No chance.

How did you work that one out? It's two places above where we are this season and we've been shocking for half of it.

You can't just look at it numerically and say 'it's only 2 places'. You have to look at who currently occupies those spots and see if you can actually progress beyond them.

Liverpool came 6th this season and they will only improve next season under Dalglish with huge spending. As it is, I think they were about 3rd in the league from the point where Kenny took over. So for me, 6th is absolutely 'no chance'. We can also forget about anyone from the top 5 falling away to the extent that we'll catch them.

That leaves Everton & Fulham. Fulham we can definitely overhaul, which would give us 8th place. Everton, for me, are at least a possibility. It's definitely not impossible, but if we don't sort ourselves out extremely quickly then it will be extremely difficult to achieve. We can't rely on them having a shit start to every single season. Put it this way. There's more credence to suggesting that Everton could overhaul Liverpool & Spurs with a decent start to their season than there is to suggesting we could overhaul them given the season we've just had and the summer we currently face.

If I was having a wager I'd say we'll be, at best, 8th next season.

Â