Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

If he is that easily replaceable then why would clubs want him and not the someone else we can easily replace him with

Besides which it is more than just this one player, it would be coming on top of Barry, Milner , Young and that sends out a powerful message to other clubs and other better players.

Because wer not competing on a same level Richard.

Your thinking can we replace him and move forward onto the top 4 (which is your frustration I think) -

Not really. I am know we wont be able to replace him with the same quality and thus we reduce the quality of our team and move backwards.

I'msure Spurs said the same when they lost Carrick, Berbatov and Keane within space of 2 years and then went onto to be very successful.

I think a key difference is that before we sold Carrick we'd already signed Berbatov earlier in the transfer window. So though we lost an important player, we'd already improved the team more. When we sold Berbatov we'd already signed Modric earlier in that transfer window, so again though we lost our star player, we'd already got one just as good. Keane wasn't that much of a loss and hadn't been on form for a while. So we already had players to fill the quality gap. However, in terms of replacing their place in the team, we took 2 years to really replace Carrick in CM, when Hudd stepped up and Modric moved into the middle. And in the case of a getting a striker as good as Berbatov we've not even come close.

The hard thing all clubs without huge financial backing or prestige face is keeping the good players you have, whilst adding to the squad in later windows. For the likes of City it's easy as they can buy 4 top quality players in one window. Whilst we have to build more slowly and by the time we are ready, one of our best player always wants to leave. If we'd been able to keep Berbatov and Carrick and add to them with the likes of VDV, Modric and Bale, then we could be challenging at the top. You seem to be facing the same problem, only it's even harder for you.

Fans always think they have the solution and come up with all sorts of strategies the board apparently can't see. But in reality I think we all know the truth and it's down to money. When fans talk about Chairman showing a lack of ambition etc, I'm never sure they really believe that. It's just a way of convincing themselves they don't have to face the reallity of modern football. It's easier for fans to blame Chairman for not having ambition, than to accept that players want to play for the best teams who pay the big wages. I can't see how anyone can moan at Lerner if Young and Downing leave. A look at your net spend and wage bill in comparison with turnover, suggests he is more "ambitious" than several of the top 6 clubs.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's an unfortunate side-effect that comes with changing management.

Downing might have felt more loyalty to MON - the man who signed him.

You look at clubs like Everton and have to admit they've done well to keep hold of their key players. They've lost the odd one like Lescott but I'd say the long-term association with Moyes has gone a long way towards forging a lasting team spirit that has kept their players settled.

If he is that easily replaceable then why would clubs want him and not the someone else we can easily replace him with

Besides which it is more than just this one player, it would be coming on top of Barry, Milner , Young and that sends out a powerful message to other clubs and other better players.

Because wer not competing on a same level Richard.

Your thinking can we replace him and move forward onto the top 4 (which is your frustration I think) -

Not really. I am know we wont be able to replace him with the same quality and thus we reduce the quality of our team and move backwards.

I'msure Spurs said the same when they lost Carrick, Berbatov and Keane within space of 2 years and then went onto to be very successful.

Fans always think they have the solution and come up with all sorts of strategies the board apparently can't see. But in reality I think we all know the truth and it's down to money. When fans talk about Chairman showing a lack of ambition etc, I'm never sure they really believe that. It's just a way of convincing themselves they don't have to face the reallity of modern football. It's easier for fans to blame Chairman for not having ambition, than to accept that players want to play for the best teams who pay the big wages. I can't see how anyone can moan at Lerner if Young and Downing leave. A look at your net spend and wage bill in comparison with turnover, suggests he is more "ambitious" than several of the top 6 clubs.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Not copying and pasting it, but read a little conversation on Twitter between Vital_Villa and some other bloke called Richardfranks, and there's claims to have a text off Downing saying he's been mis-quoted and wants to play Champs League with Villa. Not saying I believe it, just thought i'd pass it on and others will no doubt go and investigate.

Not copying and pasting it, but read a little conversation on Twitter between Vital_Villa and some other bloke called Richardfranks, and there's claims to have a text off Downing saying he's been mis-quoted and wants to play Champs League with Villa. Not saying I believe it, just thought i'd pass it on and others will no doubt go and investigate.

I'd believe that, most footballers come across badly nowadays but Downing seems like one of the good guys and was generally loyal to Boro till they went down.

Watch him leave us now :evil:

*awaits all the 'downing is average' posts, because he might be leaving like young.

Hes not average, but hes a clearing in the woods for saying he wants to stay and then going back on it two weeks later.

At least Young gave us 4 pretty good seasons from a player who could have easily left earlier. Downing, much like Milner, has had one good season so far.

If these are the kind of players around these days Id much rather watch Bannan, Clark, Albrighton and co play for the club they love than these overpaid greedy, lying tossers.

/End rant.

No smoke without fire, planting little seeds in the media etc etc..

AstonVilla seems to be great for getting English players noticed only for them to want to get the **** out. It'll be Bent next, bunch of over paid rocket polishers that never gave a **** about this club, Barry, Milner , Young and Downing can all go and **** themselves along with Randy and that old washed up word removed Houllier.

AstonVilla seems to be great for getting English players noticed only for them to want to get the **** out. It'll be Bent next, bunch of over paid rocket polishers that never gave a **** about this club, Barry, Milner , Young and Downing can all go and **** themselves along with Randy and that old washed up word removed Houllier.

Yes, cause he don't care....

Is there anyone you do like?

He'll care more about the money the sales bring in. If he gave that much of a shite he'd have shown the right ambition and got a decent manager in.

Is there anyone you do like?
Not to many around AstonVilla at the moment i must say. they are all in it for themselves and not for the good of the club imo.

He'll care more about the money the sales bring in. If he gave that much of a shite he'd have shown the right ambition and got a decent manager in.
What happens if the next manager Randy appoints is someone you approve of (that alone is quite a hard task) but fails? Will Randy have once against not shown the right "ambition"?

Â