Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Can't believe he had the cheek to hint that he would stay and then come out with this, he should be made to stick out his contract and someone should have a word perhaps to show him what a plank he is making himself out to be (though I suppose if anyone ever watched Wags Boutique you would know he's not an angel).

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of what has been said. However spurs are an example where it hasn't hurt when berbatov and carrick left, they've invested the money in young players like bale and walker who are now assets. Honestly we didn't miss Barry when he went. Who's to say we won't find somebody

younger that turns out to be better than young, players will improve in better sides. Hoilett or jarvis or albrighton or nzogbia could end being more effective. We need a decent scouting network picking them up young and cheap maybe they move on but if they do we make a profit to reinvest.

let's face it randy can't keep on pumping money in relentlessly, we are going to have to accept it especially with the fair play rules. I don't think we are in position to pay top dollar for an established player at their peak (bent) all the time.

however there is no need to panic over downing, he has 2 years left, if we get an offer over 20 million he can go. if not he has 2 years left and next season he can leave for 15 million if not he will see it out. Whichever way we have proved to be able to get players international recognition and will move them on if the price is right makes us an attractive proposition for up and coming players.

we can still be successful with this method.

Seen a lot of these posts and i have to say some people are over-reacting big time, great player and i dont want him to leave but if we could get 18/20m for him that would be an awesome fee to bring a new winger in. I just worry about our other players really? What happens if darren bent scores 20 next year theres no way he'll stay at villa either if one of the big 4 come knocking. Unless of course were up there challenging with them which realistically just isnt going to happen anytime soon.
On one phone in I heard last night the bloke who reports for the News of the World suggested there would be "agitation" around Bent this summer if Villa didn't look to invest in better players and those players they did have left

This is what i mean if were showing no ambition and offloading every good player we have why would he want to stay? Especially if clubs like city who sign 4 strikers a year who dont get enough goals combined to beat bents tally. Maybe im being a bit doom and gloom but at this rate im not looking forward to our new season.

Things could be worse...we could all be Blues fans!

Hardly...At least they won a cup recently no matter how shit it gets for them.

What's the difference between being in the Premier League and then say the League 2? We still lose our best players regardless and it appears we've lost the drive to compete for anything. Makes no **** difference at all. Oh, apart from the ticket prices being higher.

Worst. Post. Ever.

:crylaugh:

What's the benefits of being in the Premier League if we lose our best players every single season, we're not good enough to compete for anything and watching mercenaries play for clubs? All the best we can hope for now is dull Premier League positions at the very best if this keeps up. We still haven't filled the Milner gap and it's gonna be very hard to fill Young AND Downing if they were both to leave as well. At least in a lower league there's more stability with cheaper ticket prices. The whole top league is a money pot that's destroying the game.

Personally, I prefer watching International players playing in front of 38k+ against some of the best players in the world rather than watching some players who are slight improvement on non league football who struggle to pass the ball on a bobbly pitch in front of about 8k max.

more stability lower leagues? most are struggling to survive as football clubs.I'd rather finish 6th in the Prem than in league two.

What a total joke of an arguement. Pathetic.

Even if it means losing our best players every single **** season? I'm getting rather tired of it to be honest. I don't give a shit about international players against each other. I give a shit about Villa and wouldn't care where they end up. All I want to see is committed players for this club and at the moment it's not happening.

It's bad enough that Randy hasn't got the guts to make any decisions, but if he hasn't even got the money to compete anymore, I wonder why he's still the owner of this club because it's not to take us forward.

How do you know what Randy is doing? The season only ended 5 days ago FFS.

Also - suppose you'd rather have a Man City style chairman? Just wave cash around and do the exact same thing to other clubs to what they're doing to us.... even though we hate it?

Things could be worse...we could all be Blues fans!

Hardly...At least they won a cup recently no matter how shit it gets for them.

What's the difference between being in the Premier League and then say the League 2? We still lose our best players regardless and it appears we've lost the drive to compete for anything. Makes no **** difference at all. Oh, apart from the ticket prices being higher.

Worst. Post. Ever.

:crylaugh:

What's the benefits of being in the Premier League if we lose our best players every single season, we're not good enough to compete for anything and watching mercenaries play for clubs? All the best we can hope for now is dull Premier League positions at the very best if this keeps up. We still haven't filled the Milner gap and it's gonna be very hard to fill Young AND Downing if they were both to leave as well. At least in a lower league there's more stability with cheaper ticket prices. The whole top league is a money pot that's destroying the game.

Personally, I prefer watching International players playing in front of 38k+ against some of the best players in the world rather than watching some players who are slight improvement on non league football who struggle to pass the ball on a bobbly pitch in front of about 8k max.

more stability lower leagues? most are struggling to survive as football clubs.I'd rather finish 6th in the Prem than in league two.

What a total joke of an arguement. Pathetic.

Even if it means losing our best players every single **** season? I'm getting rather tired of it to be honest. I don't give a shit about international players against each other. I give a shit about Villa and wouldn't care where they end up. All I want to see committed players for this club and at the moment it's not happening.

Yes, because I'd rather see Barry, Young, Milner, Downing, etc...all playing and then going than some absolute shit league 2 player just because his career weill never get any better than at Villa in league two... :lol:

Looks like his best might just come elsewhere.

We are a club going backwards.

Trouble is trent those backwards steps have not only just started. Been there for a while

If he is that easily replaceable then why would clubs want him and not the someone else we can easily replace him with

Besides which it is more than just this one player, it would be coming on top of Barry, Milner , Young and that sends out a powerful message to other clubs and other better players.

You forget we DID spend 30m a season, to get to 6th place. Maybe people are under a different impression of how far we'd "moved forward". Considering the league has never been tougher than it is now.

Why is downing as good as it gets? There could be a lot of younger players out there that will be better I.e how many had heard or seen much of Johnson when we signed downing? I hadnt, he was cheaper and arguably better.

When spurs were signing naughton, walker and bale, what have we been doing. We need to take chances on players like Connor wickham and the oxlade chamberlain etc, sure they won't all work out but they will be young enough to have value even if they don't reach their potential.

As much as I don't like it, we need to find our niche, to produce enough cash to be a viable business, and who knows one season these players could all hit form in a villa team to suprise people. I wish we could buy whoever we want but I think we should follows arsenal policy buy them young and promising and cheap, if we get good offers then they go to fund 4 or 5 promising youngsters.

Why are people so surprised? It baffles me, it really does.

He said he'd stay if we got relegated, he said he felt he owes us. Since when did that equate to signing a new contract? It most likely means that he'll stay next season and not put up a fuss if he isn't sold. I wouldn't sign a contract at the Villa if I was him at the moment, as of yet we haven't made the kind of signing needed this summer that is going to push us on and the manager situation is still up in the air.

Does it matter from where? I mean I thought we were supposed to be a club going forwards all the time?

Depends how you determine what it is. We are far more forward than the later days of Ellis, although we are backwards on where we were last year but then I'd say forwards on where we were 4 years ago.

How do you actually say we are going backwards/forwards ...compared to what? are Chelsea going backwards because they didn't win anything?

So overly negative for the sake of it at times. Same happened when you told us we have no money and the board wouldn't spend big ...we signed Bent. ....same happened when we were 'certain for relegation under Houllier' and we finished 9th ...it'll be same again....'we're going backwards big time' ....and we'll finish 6th-7th next year.

Â