Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

... do any of you remember Doug Ellis?

Didnt we finish 2nd with him at the helm? And we won the League Cup.

So ... you didn't moan whatsoever at his 'lack of ambition' or how tight he was with money?

If so.. I think you were the only one.

No no you're right let's get him back, not spend any money, and we'll be 2nd again. Thanks! :D

Where he say that?

He never said anything like that but his reply has seeming made you type pretty incoherent stuff

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If management had any wits about them they would put in across some proposals.

First thing I would say is "I respectfully accept your decision not to commit to the villa, however I expect you to professionally honour your contract for the next 2 years...during which we have no intention to accept any other offers from any football clubs and you may if you wish seek alternative employment at the end of the 2 years.".

I would then put the proposition that he accept this and stay on his current wages or we offer an increased 4 year deal with some kind of 2 year clause that we have to accept offers if we dont meet certain targets. This would give us 2 years service + a good payout if he still wants to move after 2 years with the offer of an increased salary, that way it puts us in teh same situation now but safe guarding some money for him at the end of 2 years.

His agent should be reminded that he stands to get squat if we make him see out his 2 year contract but could be in for some sexy time if he gets a cut on an improved current deal.

How would people see that? I dont really like the idea of performance based clauses but it at least gives us what we have now (a player on a 2 year contract) and safe guards some money for the future.

I think this is exactly the sort of thing we need to do! Either that or instead of going for the usual 4 year deal which lets face it it primarily in the best interests of the player in most cases, why not go for a 4year deal but add on the extra 2 year bit as an option right at the start.. So a 4 year with a 2 year extension in the clubs favour/discretion or if the player is not happy at that point we still activate the 2 year extension but he has the right to leave if the right bid comes in?

Something has to break as it is now happening every single season & it is the primary reason we havn't acheived top 4 in my opinion..

Things could be worse...we could all be Blues fans!

Hardly...At least they won a cup recently no matter how shit it gets for them.

What's the difference between being in the Premier League and then say the League 2? We still lose our best players regardless and it appears we've lost the drive to compete for anything. Makes no **** difference at all. Oh, apart from the ticket prices being higher.

Worst. Post. Ever.

:crylaugh:

Sick of his sort to be honest. Epitomises football today and we have a whole load of them at VP. You wait, it'll be Bent next.

Randy, sort out the Management situation immediately and get us out of limbo for the third time this season, get rid of the dross, dead wood and mercenaries and set about about pursuing the new project.

As for Downing, tell him £18m and you can go if your agent finds another club before 1st July, otherwise knuckle down and shut up because you may be player of the season but that counts for little this season.

So ... you didn't moan whatsoever at his 'lack of ambition' or how tight he was with money?

No no you're right let's get him back, not spend any money, and we'll be 2nd again. Thanks! :D

Where he say that?

He never said anything like that but his reply has seeming made you type pretty incoherent stuff

My question was in terms of all these people moaning that the board have no ambition. Thus was relative to that discussion, WR replied to my message, thus why I responded to him.

WR's post seemed to imply that we were better off with Doug.

Post=coherent.

Where he say that?

My question was in terms of all these people moaning that the board have no ambition. Thus was relative to that discussion, WR replied to my message, thus why I responded to him.

Post=coherent.

2+2=5

Where he say that?

Post=coherent.

2+2=5

Please try and argue that your post did not imply that we were better off with Doug?

I am not surprised that Downing potentially could be going this summer. I am surprised at the fans reaction on here and their surprise.

I have said for a while you dont get anywhere by selling your best players each summer. Then get told it happens to everyone

I have said for a while that the board need to invest to move the club to the next stage and show ambition. Then get told we are doing it the right way and not by throwing money at it

I have said for a while we are effectively a feeder club for the better team with more willingness to demonstrate their ambtion. Then get told that it is rubbish

This is where we are as a club. Mid to upper midtable challengers , sometimes having a decent cup run, seeing some good players but knowing we can never hold on to them

I don't think the club has the money to invest more than £20-30 million a season.

Well you know I could have sworn blind that I have been saying for two years now that Randy does not have the money to take achieve the goals he has said he wants to achieve here (top four) and that in order to do that we need more money or a new owner with the kind of money required.

But I had loads disagreeing with me, obviously you weren't one of those to disagree then.

Dont get me wrong I'm comfortable with the club we are, second tier premier league club with the odd cup challenge here and there.

What I am not comfortable with is people believing, or actually stating, that we are anything different or aiming for something more without the wherewithall to back it up.

What's the difference between being in the Premier League and then say the League 2? We still lose our best players regardless and it appears we've lost the drive to compete for anything. Makes no **** difference at all. Oh, apart from the ticket prices being higher.

Worst. Post. Ever.

What's the benefits of being in the Premier League if we lose our best players every single season, we're not good enough to compete for anything and watching mercenaries play for clubs? All the best we can hope for now is dull Premier League positions at the very best if this keeps up. We still haven't filled the Milner gap and it's gonna be very hard to fill Young AND Downing if they were both to leave as well. At least in a lower league there's more stability with cheaper ticket prices. The whole top league is a money pot that's destroying the game.

I think this is exactly the sort of thing we need to do! Either that or instead of going for the usual 4 year deal which lets face it it primarily in the best interests of the player in most cases, why not go for a 4year deal but add on the extra 2 year bit as an option right at the start.. So a 4 year with a 2 year extension in the clubs favour/discretion or if the player is not happy at that point we still activate the 2 year extension but he has the right to leave if the right bid comes in?

Something has to break as it is now happening every single season & it is the primary reason we havn't acheived top 4 in my opinion..

Yeah, I mean it would really suite us to have his services for the next 2 years which gives us plenty of time to replace and build more around him that could easily go on and suffer the loss...2 years down the line.

We need to be strong and he needs to be reminded that because he doenst want to sign a new contract, we still expect a minimum of 2 years out of him and he needs to face up to hard life facts.

He can either go no the 2 years and miss out on any pay rise or accept some kind of renewed deal with the option to leave which will suite both him and us as hell be getting more money and well be guarenteed some decent money at the end of it.

Seen a lot of these posts and i have to say some people are over-reacting big time, great player and i dont want him to leave but if we could get 18/20m for him that would be an awesome fee to bring a new winger in. I just worry about our other players really? What happens if darren bent scores 20 next year theres no way he'll stay at villa either if one of the big 4 come knocking. Unless of course were up there challenging with them which realistically just isnt going to happen anytime soon.

Where he say that?

Post=coherent.

2+2=5

Please try and argue that your post did not imply that we were better off with Doug?

We won the league cup with DE at the helm, this is fact.

We were runner's up in the league with DE at the helm, this is fact.

Your sarcasm detector must need some new batteries pal.

I am not surprised that Downing potentially could be going this summer. I am surprised at the fans reaction on here and their surprise.

I have said for a while you dont get anywhere by selling your best players each summer. Then get told it happens to everyone

I have said for a while that the board need to invest to move the club to the next stage and show ambition. Then get told we are doing it the right way and not by throwing money at it

I have said for a while we are effectively a feeder club for the better team with more willingness to demonstrate their ambtion. Then get told that it is rubbish

This is where we are as a club. Mid to upper midtable challengers , sometimes having a decent cup run, seeing some good players but knowing we can never hold on to them

I don't think the club has the money to invest more than £20-30 million a season.

Well you know I could have sworn blind that I have been saying for two years now that Randy does not have the money to take achieve the goals he has said he wants to achieve here (top four) and that in order to do that we need more money or a new owner with the kind of money required.

But I had loads disagreeing with me, obviously you weren't one of those to disagree then.

Dont get me wrong I'm comfortable with the club we are, second tier premier league club with the odd cup challenge here and there.

What I am not comfortable with is people believing, or actually stating, that we are anything different or aiming for something more without the wherewithall to back it up.

It's bad enough that Randy hasn't got the guts to make any decisions, but if he hasn't even got the money to compete anymore, I wonder why he's still the owner of this club because it's not to take us forward.

Seen a lot of these posts and i have to say some people are over-reacting big time, great player and i dont want him to leave but if we could get 18/20m for him that would be an awesome fee to bring a new winger in. I just worry about our other players really? What happens if darren bent scores 20 next year theres no way he'll stay at villa either if one of the big 4 come knocking. Unless of course were up there challenging with them which realistically just isnt going to happen anytime soon.
On one phone in I heard last night the bloke who reports for the News of the World suggested there would be "agitation" around Bent this summer if Villa didn't look to invest in better players and those players they did have left

Worst. Post. Ever.

What's the benefits of being in the Premier League if we lose our best players every single season, we're not good enough to compete for anything and watching mercenaries play for clubs? All the best we can hope for now is dull Premier League positions at the very best if this keeps up. We still haven't filled the Milner gap and it's gonna be very hard to fill Young AND Downing if they were both to leave as well. At least in a lower league there's more stability with cheaper ticket prices. The whole top league is a money pot that's destroying the game.

Personally, I prefer watching International players playing in front of 38k+ against some of the best players in the world rather than watching some players who are slight improvement on non league football who struggle to pass the ball on a bobbly pitch in front of about 8k max.

more stability lower leagues? most are struggling to survive as football clubs.I'd rather finish 6th in the Prem than in league two.

What a total joke of an arguement. Pathetic.

It's bad enough that Randy hasn't got the guts to make any decisions, but if he hasn't even got the money to compete anymore, I wonder why he's still the owner of this club because it's not to take us forward.

You my good man, are talking shite!

Because finding an Owner who is willing to spend more than £20-30 million a season isn't exactly hard to find is it.. ... :?

Â