Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

The challenge for us is to get the maximum value and then re-invest wisely in young talent on possibly longer term contracts but with smarter incentives in those contracts.

The Bosman ruling has been a disaster for football as far as I'm concerned and has just left the door open for increased player power.

On a side note, I am really surprised that Downing is trusting an agent to negotiate anything for him given his recent experience!! I also hope that he is watching Jimmy and realising that the grass isn't always greener!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused why you seem to be shocked.

Footballers would sell their own mothers to get an extra buck, not one of them is different.

Also they will say one thing and then the next change their mind if something better comes along.

The sooner folk realise not to believe everything and anything that comes out of a footballers mouth the better.

Its a job for them, if you were offered another job better pay, better colleagues etc you would refuse it? I doubt it very much unless it was your own company and have something personally invested in it, footballers dont.

Maybe it is a spout of irrational thinking due to the fact I cant see beyond downing in our team as I think hes awesome for us...im truly gutted and I want thim to stay at the villa.

The only other player I really felt like this was Milner, now there is Bent and other than that there isnt anyone who i would be all that upset about losing.

**** it. get rid of him and ash... get players who want to be here.

lets build from scratch if we have to.. rather than getting set backs every summer losing a player.

We are a feeder club to the top 4/5. The sooner you accept it, the easier it is.

Then we will always stay 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, which is the frustrating part. I don't want to accept that part.

Life's a bitch and the truth hurts but that is what we are. Like Ginge, i will support Villa through thick and thin, but if its Champians League finals and Premier League titles you want in the next 10 years your supporting the wrong team mate.

Don't question my support for the team. I wouldn't give up supporting Villa because we are not in the champions league, I wouldn't give up supporting Villa if we were at Tamworth away playing in the conference. Never hinted at not supporting Villa. I've never seen us play in the champions league so I don't know any different, I'm 100% used to finishing between 16th and 6th. The frustration comes with the hope, past 4 years, coming so close, hitting a glass roof, and now falling back down. The 5 years champions league plan from Randy seems a farcry now. Both Downing and Young go, we'll be in the shit next season. Those two players must have been involved in most of our goals this season.

I was'nt questioning your support mate, sorry if it came accross like that. I agree totally with what you've wrote and understand how frustrating it is, i think everyone feels the same, but this is where we find ourselves as a club and it wont change anytime soon.

If anything this manager situation needs to be sorted now or we could well be in the shit if both Young and Downing leave.

Not really, cause if they both leave this summer we'll have about £40m just from them to re invest.

**** it. get rid of him and ash... get players who want to be here.

lets build from scratch if we have to.. rather than getting set backs every summer losing a player.

So having to build from scratch wouldnt be a set back? :?

If anything this manager situation needs to be sorted now or we could well be in the shit if both Young and Downing leave.

Not really, cause if they both leave this summer we'll have about £40m just from them to re invest.

Depends who the manager is who can get these players (whether Houllier or not). I'd rather have them than the cash.

Time for the club to show some ambition

Sack the current fool in charge bring in a top manager who will renergize the squad and convince these players that Aston Villa are actually going places.

We need to sign players as well to show these players that we still have the ambition to compete at the upper echelons of the premier league.

Time for the club to show some ambition

Sack the current fool in charge bring in a top manager who will renergize the squad and convince these players that Aston Villa are actually going places.

We need to sign players as well to show these players that we still have the ambition to compete at the upper echelons of the premier league.

Sounds easy.

I see that ugly word (ambition) as reared its ugly head again. Let me guess, if Downing does leave (I personally don't believe he will) it will be because the board have not showed enough "ambition"?

makes me laugh how when it looks like a player wants to go, he suddenly is not good as he was a week ago and is easily replaceable.

I'd be gutted if downing goes and i find myself questioning why i fork out on a season ticket every season to watch overpaid unloyal bastards, barring 1 or 2.

I see that ugly word (ambition) as reared its ugly head again. Let me guess, if Downing does leave (I personally don't believe he will) it will be because the board have not showed enough "ambition"?

Simply put - If Downing & Young both go this summer the answer to your question would be -YES.

(Tho should add i don't think Downing will go this summer at all.

Next summer tho?....wouldn't be suprised)

Simply put - If Downing & Young both go this summer the answer to your question would be -YES.

(Tho should add i don't think Downing will go this summer at all.

Next summer tho?....wouldn't be suprised)

Not really. It would be because other clubs have more money (or as people often call money on here, ambition).

Â