Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that ugly word (ambition) as reared its ugly head again. Let me guess, if Downing does leave (I personally don't believe he will) it will be because the board have not showed enough "ambition"?

Simply put - If Downing & Young both go this summer the answer to your question would be -YES.

(Tho should add i don't think Downing will go this summer at all.

Next summer tho?....wouldn't be suprised)

Not really. It would be because other clubs have more money (or as people often call money on here, ambition).

I'd argue it means success.

Although to a degree not really our fault, It's going to be tough for us to ever be successful, paying the most money unless we get some Man City like owner.

Although saying that, Spurs seem to manage it so I'm sure we can hopefully.

It appears as though "Best is yet to come" might now mean "I'll be playing for someone better soon". I really hope that's not the case. If it is, then that was always the risk when you lose Barry, Milner & Young in consecutive seasons and it's another potential knock-on from the shit season we've just had and, by extension, the hiring of Houllier in the first place. A more competitive season might have placated Downing for another year. But all of this assumes that he does want to move on. The other thing I would take from such a spectacular about-face is that he has been tapped up.

When we were going down he was staying now we are up he wants to go.

Whenever we give a player player of the year they go, the curse of player of the year.

Which makes the POTY voting seem all the more ridiculous. We all know it should have gone to Stephen Ireland.

The ambition is there for all to see, darren bent proves we have ambition, but what players like Downing fail to realise is it doesnt come instantly, even witht he billions of Man City they have only just broke the top4, so the chances are the first round of players they bought like Lescott etc wont play any part in that CL they went there for.

Basically they want what they want and they want it now. No club will break the top4 now without heavy investment like City. Sad fact.

**** it. get rid of him and ash... get players who want to be here.

lets build from scratch if we have to.. rather than getting set backs every summer losing a player.

So having to build from scratch wouldnt be a set back? :?

One step back two steps forward.

Id rather we dealt with the blows now.. than have to face them at the end of every season.

I won't be that gutted to see Ash leave but I would be absolutely gutted to see Downing leave.

I hate football :(

Couldnt give two shits about Young, I hope he goes.

Downing is going to make me cry like a big girl if he goes. LIke I say, I hope we show some balls and simply make him stay, I'm absolutely sure he will be a professional (it would be in his interest) to give us another good season.

I won't be that gutted to see Ash leave but I would be absolutely gutted to see Downing leave.

I hate football :(

Couldnt give two shits about Young, I hope he goes.

Downing is going to make me cry like a big girl if he goes. LIke I say, I hope we show some balls and simply make him stay, I'm absolutely sure he will be a professional (it would be in his interest) to give us another good season.

I doubt we'll sell him this summer and if we do, should be no less than £20-24 million.

We are a feeder club to the top 4/5. The sooner you accept it, the easier it is.

Then we will always stay 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, which is the frustrating part. I don't want to accept that part.

Life's a bitch and the truth hurts but that is what we are. Like Ginge, i will support Villa through thick and thin, but if its Champians League finals and Premier League titles you want in the next 10 years your supporting the wrong team mate.

Don't question my support for the team. I wouldn't give up supporting Villa because we are not in the champions league, I wouldn't give up supporting Villa if we were at Tamworth away playing in the conference. Never hinted at not supporting Villa. I've never seen us play in the champions league so I don't know any different, I'm 100% used to finishing between 16th and 6th. The frustration comes with the hope, past 4 years, coming so close, hitting a glass roof, and now falling back down. The 5 years champions league plan from Randy seems a farcry now. Both Downing and Young go, we'll be in the shit next season. Those two players must have been involved in most of our goals this season.

I was'nt questioning your support mate, sorry if it came accross like that. I agree totally with what you've wrote and understand how frustrating it is, i think everyone feels the same, but this is where we find ourselves as a club and it wont change anytime soon.

No worries lad, I misinterpreted. Indeed we are currently well set up for finishing mid table if we continue doing what we do each summer. No doubt Bent would be next year if Downing and Young go.

Unfortunately this is the way modern day football is.

Sign 4 year contract

2 years in see how things are going - if all good sign extention if not delay

Wait another year if looking good sign extention - if not force club to either sell you or you walk away on a free in 12 months.

reality is that unless the club is in europe then the better players will always be looking to move on.

unfortunately 4 years is gonna be about the most you see from a player at one club unless its one of the team challenging for top4 on a regular basis.

So I think we'd better get used to it no matter how much it pisses us all off

Agree Jonno. Flanagan was made to look like a rabbit in the headlights of **** big Panzer.

Panzer's did not have headlights... :bang:

I'm not too sure that whather a panzerhas headlights or not was the crucial thrust of the post.

if it wasn't, it bloody well should have been.... outrageous claim...

Well Fair enough. The bloody idiot. Going and embarrassing himself that badly...

Are you all crazy?

Of course Panzers had **** headlights! Would you like to drive one at night without?

pz5.jpg

Sorry, Stuart WHO?

:)

Not that Stan knows all the ins and out but Collymore is blurting out on Twitter right now;

Players agents will always use managerial uncertainty as a reason for stalling on a new contract.It's called expanding their options....lol

Villa will spend substantially again in the summer.Trust me.

He has just reiterated what some people have been saying with the managerial situaion.

Not that Stan knows all the ins and out but Collymore is blurting out on Twitter right now;

Players agents will always use managerial uncertainty as a reason for stalling on a new contract.It's called expanding their options....lol

Villa will spend substantially again in the summer.Trust me.

He has just reiterated what some people have been saying with the managerial situaion.

Sounds like common sense to me, which is unsual for Stan.

If we lose 4 main England players in 3 years in a row then it's gone far enough. We shouldn't be used as a gateway for players to break through to the England squad. I'm sure Bent will follow suit, he's done it before. **** the lot of them and let's focus on foreigners who'll be grateful to be in this club. At least they aren't ego maniacs who believe in their own hype.

I'm sick of this board. I actually despise them. They're still pussyfooting around Houllier while the players must be thinking what's the point of sticking around when they're still unsure if they're going or not. Paul Faulkner is useless. It does look like in the interview he was powerless to talk Downing's agent round. What on earth was Randy thinking of hiring a friend over an reliable experienced CEO. I'm sure Paul is only in his early 30s as well. It's comical.

If we lose 4 main England players in 3 years in a row then it's gone far enough. We shouldn't be used as a gateway for players to break through to the England squad. I'm sure Bent will follow suit, he's done it before. **** the lot of them and let's focus on foreigners who'll be grateful to be in this club. At least they aren't ego maniacs who believe in their own hype.

I'm sick of this board. I actually despise them. They're still pussyfooting around Houllier while the players must be thinking what's the point of sticking around when they're still unsure if they're going or not. Paul Faulkner is useless. It does look like in the interview he was powerless to talk Downing's agent round. What on earth was Randy thinking of hiring a friend over an reliable experienced CEO. I'm sure Paul is only in his early 30s as well. It's comical.

You know nothing of Paul Faulkner, why you feel you're in a position to constantly talk about him all the time I don't know...

Unless of course you work at Villa, and get to see how he performs in his job day in day out.

Â