Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this, a real crushing blow to add to all the others. I was just saying yesterday how he wouldn't leave and now i look like a fool, i guess all that talk of staying if we are relegated was just a load of crap then. Might as well just sell him now and accept we will always be shit.

I'm sick of this board. I actually despise them. They're still pussyfooting around Houllier while the players must be thinking what's the point of sticking around when they're still unsure if they're going or not. Paul Faulkner is useless. It does look like in the interview he was powerless to talk Downing's agent round. What on earth was Randy thinking of hiring a friend over an reliable experienced CEO. I'm sure Paul is only in his early 30s as well. It's comical.

You obviously trolling imo.

Because what your posting is absolute garbage half of it doesn't make sense and the other half you've made up because there is no way you could know it.

This is all getting embarrassingly predictable now... It's as clear as clear could be that all the agents & players are basically "playing" this & other football clubs as nothing more than a shop window for the top 4 which by it's own nature means we will severely struggle to acheive anything as everytime we get close all of our best players spout this old story about "wanting champions League footy" & the "i'm at a major crossroads" b*****ks. Fact is if just for once a couple of them stayed & allowed the club to build on the foundations it has gone to vast time & expense to build then they could very possibly acheive it here anyway! In fact it is exactly this sort of behaviour which is the main reason Villa have consistently failed to reach those heights in recent years..

I'm sorry but something needs to be done about it as why on earth should Aston Villa invest millions into these players with the obvious & clear aim of acheiving top 4 etc only to effectively be royally shafted by them just at the crucial moment? It shows a complete & utter lack of respect for this football club & it's fans. These players know damn well what RL is trying to acheive here when they sign & i find it disgraceful that they are in effect sticking 2 fingers up at him & us fans in such a careless couldn't give a t**s manner too.

They clearly could not care less how they were helped by Aston Villa FC such as being injured for 5 months when 1st signed, being given the platform to get into/regain an England place or the completely unappreciated thing about receiving passionate & dedicated support from us fans.

This is the main reason it has become harder to win things in the modern Premier League. Not down to just Money/wages/size of club or the rest of the normal perceived reasons but this ridiculous "Now i'm entering my best years as a player i'm off as it's a major career crossroads & i want Champs league b*****s!

These agents have got it down to a fine art.... in the same vein as the "Oh i didn't see it" comment spouted by managers when tackled about a dodgy decision we now have the "i'm at a crossroads & i want Champs League footy in my career" standard statement as soon as there is a whiff of interest from the "top 4". Do they not get it that this is the main reason the "top 4" remain the "top 4" year in year out? Because of nomads like them who don't give a monkeys about anything apart from cash & plastic trophies which actually represent a big fat 0. Do you honestly as a fan look at Man City's FA cup win & think... Wow.. What a team they are they worked so hard for that i now have the utmost respect for those players & that club they deserved that?!

It's quite frankly a joke & practically makes the whole football thing pointless for me as do i really want to spend my hard earned cash & valuable time supporting a charade where it's impossible to win as everytime you get a winning hand your best cards jump out of your hand & leap into the other players hand instead? All because he is the player who usually wins?

It is not enough to support a football club through just habit & memories as at some point those memories will be too distant to matter any more.. Stewart Downing & all the rest of the robots who spout the same old tripe should realise that at some point, if it's constantly the same 4 or 5 teams that are the only ones capable of winning things that the rest will simply lose interest & the game will suffer as less interest = less coverage by Sky etc = less money = demise

If management had any wits about them they would put in across some proposals.

First thing I would say is "I respectfully accept your decision not to commit to the villa, however I expect you to professionally honour your contract for the next 2 years...during which we have no intention to accept any other offers from any football clubs and you may if you wish seek alternative employment at the end of the 2 years.".

I would then put the proposition that he accept this and stay on his current wages or we offer an increased 4 year deal with some kind of 2 year clause that we have to accept offers if we dont meet certain targets. This would give us 2 years service + a good payout if he still wants to move after 2 years with the offer of an increased salary, that way it puts us in teh same situation now but safe guarding some money for him at the end of 2 years.

His agent should be reminded that he stands to get squat if we make him see out his 2 year contract but could be in for some sexy time if he gets a cut on an improved current deal.

How would people see that? I dont really like the idea of performance based clauses but it at least gives us what we have now (a player on a 2 year contract) and safe guards some money for the future.

There is no loyalty in football and agents are in business, meaning they are trying to get the best deals for both themselves and their client.

If you think Mr. Downing gives a flying **** about little Johnny because he has his name on the back of his shirt and it's going to break his little heart when he leaves for a top 4 side then you are hugely mistaken.

Football is the career of the individual, its a job so all they are interested in is success and pound notes, thats the bottom line and thats where it ends. Good luck to Stewart, i hope he does well at Arsenal.

We are a feeder club to the top 4, unless you can splash a £100m in 1 window then you havnt got a chance, also the fact that you need to be paying wages of £80-100k and lets not forget offering CL football.

Smells about right danceoftheshamen... I'm still smarting from the the shoddy multitude of lack lustre football in the 2010 World Cup (and as regular readers will know, not just England). That and MON walking out, I have been largely bored off my tits at VP this season.

They're going up, they're going down was about the best highlight of the season. And the feeling of being 2-0 up against Man Utd, only to be emotionally 'raped' for the usual last ten minute collapse to occur.

FFS Villa wake up.

... do any of you remember Doug Ellis?

Didnt we finish 2nd with him at the helm? And we won the League Cup.

So ... you didn't moan whatsoever at his 'lack of ambition' or how tight he was with money?

If so.. I think you were the only one.

No no you're right let's get him back, not spend any money, and we'll be 2nd again. Thanks! :D

I am not surprised that Downing potentially could be going this summer. I am surprised at the fans reaction on here and their surprise.

I have said for a while you dont get anywhere by selling your best players each summer. Then get told it happens to everyone

I have said for a while that the board need to invest to move the club to the next stage and show ambition. Then get told we are doing it the right way and not by throwing money at it

I have said for a while we are effectively a feeder club for the better team with more willingness to demonstrate their ambtion. Then get told that it is rubbish

This is where we are as a club. Mid to upper midtable challengers , sometimes having a decent cup run, seeing some good players but knowing we can never hold on to them

I am not surprised that Downing potentially could be going this summer. I am surprised at the fans reaction on here and their surprise.

I have said for a while you dont get anywhere by selling your best players each summer. Then get told it happens to everyone

I have said for a while that the board need to invest to move the club to the next stage and show ambition. Then get told we are doing it the right way and not by throwing money at it

I have said for a while we are effectively a feeder club for the better team with more willingness to demonstrate their ambtion. Then get told that it is rubbish

This is where we are as a club. Mid to upper midtable challengers , sometimes having a decent cup run, seeing some good players but knowing we can never hold on to them

I don't think the club has the money to invest more than £20-30 million a season.

Things could be worse...we could all be Blues fans!

Hardly...At least they won a cup recently no matter how shit it gets for them.

What's the difference between being in the Premier League and then say the League 2? We still lose our best players regardless and it appears we've lost the drive to compete for anything. Makes no **** difference at all. Oh, apart from the ticket prices being higher.

Â