Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

If he is that easily replaceable then why would clubs want him and not the someone else we can easily replace him with

Besides which it is more than just this one player, it would be coming on top of Barry, Milner , Young and that sends out a powerful message to other clubs and other better players.

Because wer not competing on a same level Richard.

Your thinking can we replace him and move forward onto the top 4 (which is your frustration I think) -

Not really. I am know we wont be able to replace him with the same quality and thus we reduce the quality of our team and move backwards.

I'msure Spurs said the same when they lost Carrick, Berbatov and Keane within space of 2 years and then went onto to be very successful.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same opinion for any player who doesn't wish to knuckle down and try and improve things for the Villa "F#%k OFF".

If a player feels that their future is elsewhere then please leave ASAP. I would rather have a slightly less gifted player "Jarvis" who is willing to fight for the cause than someone whose heart isn'tin it.

Move along Mr.Downing, you will soon be forgotten and replaced. Watch you don't break a nail on your way out.

Although it's a little flawed, Jarvis would be doing the exact same thing to Wolves as Downing would be doing to us just on a smaller scale.

One thing we don'tknow is what would Jarvis do with better players around him. I'd be happy enough giving him and Bannan a chance to prove what they can do on the left side. Saying that I'm sure GH or whatever manager we have would probably have a better replacement than I could think of.

Edit*

This last season Downing had 9 assists with Jarvis having 8 and one of those players wasn't playing with Darren Bent.

Well where has this come from? Every sign he gave off until now was that he wanted the new deal! Surely some tapping up has been done here, or he is actually waiting to see how much ambition we show in the summer. Shame really I like Downing a lot.

Absolutely gutted by this news. The fact that it was believed downing was signing a new contract made the ash's move a lot more bearable but with this news it is obvious once again we are just a feeder club to the top 4 or clubs who pay higher wages. Sick to my stomach

In a way you cant blame the bloke

Would you want to play another season with the current management i wouldnt... He wants the club to show ambition in the transfer window and for us to sign players that are able to make us compete with the upper half of the premier league and not stagnate into a midtable club.

He's too good for a midtable side which we are currently... so he wont rush to sign a new contract and commit untill we show that we mean business.

Would you want to play another season with the current management i wouldnt... He wants the club to show ambition in the transfer window and for us to sign players that are able to make us compete with the upper half of the premier league and not stagnate into a midtable club.

He's too good for a midtable side which we are currently... so he wont rush to sign a new contract and commit untill we show that we mean business.

We had the same management two weeks ago when he was happy to stay, unless he is just retarded.

We had the same management two weeks ago when he was happy to stay, unless he is just retarded.

Yes, exactly. To be honest I think this is all to do with the uncertainty with regards to the current management team. I think Houllier stays or we go out and appoint a quality manager (not Hughes) then Downing will stay. However, if either of the two things are to happen they need to be done swiftly.

Stuart Downsing?

Absolutely gutted by this news. The fact that it was believed downing was signing a new contract made the ash's move a lot more bearable but with this news it is obvious once again we are just a feeder club to the top 4 or clubs who pay higher wages. Sick to my stomach

Actually, we're now a feeder to the top 6 clubs. We've derailed fast and it's mainly down to the board.

Yes, exactly. To be honest I think this is all to do with the uncertainty with regards to the current management team. I think Houllier stays or we go out and appoint a quality manager (not Hughes) then Downing will stay. However, if either of the two things are to happen they need to be done swiftly.

You're probably right but right now our players are ripe for tapping up and I cannot see the board doing anything if they are.

Joe... lol.

Actually, we're now a feeder to the top 6 clubs. We've derailed fast and it's mainly down to the board.

How exactly? Because they haven't forced players to stay when they want away? Because they haven't put us into deep financial debt by trying to outspend the richest clubs in the league with regards to wages?

It's like we're out at sea and everyone is treading water, waiting and waiting for some direction, some leadership and/or someone to come and rescue us, so to speak. Some are getting tired of waiting for the cavalry and decide surviving just for themselves is their best option. Before too long more of the same is going to happen unless there's some quicker developments, signs of positivity,etc. Otherwise, eventually, we'll stop treading water and get eaten by a **** off giant shark!

It's been a long day!

I'd be gutted if we lost one of the few players who put his heart and soul into this season. I think it's inevitable that we find it hard to keep our best players though. It's still possible to be strong despite being a 'selling club' provided we choose the right times to buy and sell, though it's going to be tough to break the top 4 now like Spurs managed to.

I'd be gutted if we lost one of the few players who put his heart and soul into this season. I think it's inevitable that we find it hard to keep our best players though. It's still possible to be strong despite being a 'selling club' provided we choose the right times to buy and sell, though it's going to be tough to break the top 4 now like Spurs managed to.

Theres only one way we can persuade players like Downing to stay, and thats to first get some direction back in the club, then try and bring in some ambitious signings.

Weve had two players mention this lack of direction already, and until its sorted, we will continue to drift, until we hit the rocks.

Theres only one way we can persuade players like Downing to stay, and thats to first get some direction back in the club, then try and bring in some ambitious signings.

Weve had two players mention this lack of direction already, and until its sorted, we will continue to drift, until we hit the rocks.

Absolutely spot on

Absolutely spot on

How about Darren Bent?

How exactly? Because they haven't forced players to stay when they want away? Because they haven't put us into deep financial debt by trying to outspend the richest clubs in the league with regards to wages?

Because they seem to be gutless on pretty much everything. If say Tottenham were put in a similar situation, I don't think they would wait around. They'll grow some balls and get it sorted. From the moment Randy hired Paul Faulkner as CEO, from the moment Randy said MON will be 100% staying next season and him taking off nearly soon as the season started, they've been shambolic. They haven't sorted out anything properly yet. Our wage bill is still as high as ever and we need a manager RIGHT NOW so they've got the whole summer to reduce it dramatically, but instead they want to do it the easy/soft approach by waiting on test medical results. It's no wonder Downing is trying to get out right now with shit like this going on.

It's been a shit season. Look at the table. We're 9th. Hurrah, that's great isn't it? Take a closer look. We're closer to relegation than 6th. Are we really progressing or this our level now? Just slightly better than Bolton, West Brom but no where near the likes of Liverpool, Tottenham nevermind the big boys? I think the board gives a strong impression that they're not willing to push and they seem happy with that.

Â