Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool fans hearing a £19.75 million bid accepted, coming from a Villa ITK.

Has that been mentioned on here?

Oh come on, could they not stump up the extra £250k.

It think it's called saving face by not paying the full asking price.

This will be interesting.

He is not for sale!

Price is 20 milllion pounds.

General says every player has his price.

Fee agreed.

Fingers crossed this is not true.

Oh come on, could they not stump up the extra £250k.

It think it's called saving face by not paying the full asking price.

Typical scousers

He is not for sale!

Fee agreed.

Well we can't have too much more face to lose after the past twelve months??

19.75m is a bargain compared to Henderson, Carroll and Torres!

He is not for sale!

Fee agreed.

Fingers double crossed, please be true.

I hope he goes now. He wants out so I dont want him here.

It's like finding out your missus cheated on you, she admits it but you keep her anyway. You may still be together but its never the same after that point.

Liverpool ready to splash £100m for Stewart Downing

Manager Kenny Dalglish desperate to net the Aston Villa winger

By

Staff

Published Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Stewart Downing has refused to sign a new deal at Villa Park. (FILE)

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is willing to break the £100 million barrier to net England winger Stewart Downing from Aston Villa.

England winger Downing is the Kop chief's most wanted man but Aston Villa have steadfastly refused to budge from their £20 million valuation.

The Reds have already had two bids turned down, with Villa knocking back their latest offer of £15 million a week ago.

But now Anfield sources insist they are poised to return with a package that will reach the asking price - and take the spending since Dalglish returned in January to that magic £100 million figure, according to 'The Sun'.

Six months ago, owner John W Henry splashed out £58 million for Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll.

This summer, Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam have cost another £25 million.

But Liverpool are prepared to cough up after Arsenal entered the race for Downing a week ago.

Brazilian stopper Doni is set to arrive as back-up to Pepe Reina, on a free from Roma.

But it is the imminent arrival of Downing, 27 next Friday, which has raised Liverpool's hopes of a genuine charge for honours this season.

The England star could even complete a deal this week, despite Liverpool being in Asia for their pre-season tour, the report added.

Downing has his heart on a move to Anfield. He refused to sign a new deal at Villa Park and insiders at the Midlands club believe he may have a medical within the next 48 hours.

Click

:crylaugh: Talk about a misleading headline.

I am really concerned if he goes and we miss out on Nzogbia. Arsenal may go in for him. Cheaper option.. french etc.

If Downing goes.. we need TWO wingers.. Albrighton may be a starter this season but we need a backup.. what if one gets injured? Thats why i wouldnt mind Hitzelsperger to sign on a free as he could play there if needed.

Can Bannan play left wing? Probably can do a job there?

I am really concerned if he goes and we miss out on Nzogbia. Arsenal may go in for him. Cheaper option.. french etc.

If Downing goes.. we need TWO wingers.. Albrighton may be a starter this season but we need a backup.. what if one gets injured? Thats why i wouldnt mind Hitzelsperger to sign on a free as he could play there if needed.

Can Bannan play left wing? Probably can do a job there?

Why can't we buy two wingers? We have Ash and Downing (if he goes money) of 35m surely we could get 2 wingers and a good keeper for that and have money left over for a decent attacking midfielder? And why o' why do we always end up selling before we have a replacement sorted?? Madness!!!!

I can't see us replacing both Young and Downing.

If we sell Downing then I think we will get one winger and try and make use of Albrighton or even Ireland.

Not looking to positive for this season as all our best signings from MON are sold off and not really replaced.

He was always going to go.

We just had to make it look as though we didnt want to sell him. It was just a matter of time before we got the usual "we did all we could to keep the player but when a player wants to go and a team is willing to meet our valuation......."

Its a good job that Randy is going to back his manager like he has always done. Isnt that right General K.

Not looking to positive for this season as all our best signings from MON are sold off and not really replaced.

Can anyone tell us why though? What's the point of having the best poacher in the English game if we don't get the ball in the box?? Benty will not score from the half way line or if we can't keep hold of the ball for more than 3 passes.

I am really getting disheartened at the way our team is looking for this season. Last year when we had to rely on the kids we really had a bad run of results. We need good quality signings and fast otherwise we will end up either buying a load of dross or paying over the top prices for average players!

I cant understand all this glee at getting a certain amount of money for our only remaining proven winger.

Is this 20 million going to supply crosses for our front line?

Nzogbia will be bought in, but that will only replace Young. If this goes through we will have drastically weakened our squad for a pile of IOUs.

Can't see us rep;acing Young and Downing. Moving Young to the position he played last season and away from the wing was all about not having to replace him as a winger IMO and looking for other alternatives.

Can anyone tell us why though? What's the point of having the best poacher in the English game if we don't get the ball in the box?? Benty will not score from the half way line or if we can't keep hold of the ball for more than 3 passes.

I am really getting disheartened at the way our team is looking for this season. Last year when we had to rely on the kids we really had a bad run of results. We need good quality signings and fast otherwise we will end up either buying a load of dross or paying over the top prices for average players!

In fairness we will only have to worry about that problem for 6-12 months before he will no doubt move on.

Didnt he say when he signed that part of the attraction was getting on the end of quality balls from Young and Downing. That soon went out the window.

The quality we had is disappearing leaving us with the squad players.

Â