Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes it even more laughable is that....we reject a bid of 15m....He then states to a liverpool fan that Villa WILL accept 16.5m because they are desperate to get rid of him now.....Yes, we are going to accept an extra £1.5m.....that will certainly change our stance..He then back-tracked and said we hadn't accepted it....deleted the tweet...only to put up another tweet moments later suggesting that £18.5m bid accepted. This is the same guy who also stated 48 hours ago that the deal will be concluded in 24 hours. He makes it up as he goes along....I guess if you keep discussing it, sooner or later...it will stick.

Price has to be over £25m before Villa will even consider selling him and thats from a Villa insider.

Please text ur L Pool insider and tell him to tell them that!............ :winkold:

Price has to be over £25m before Villa will even consider selling him and thats from a Villa insider.

Please text ur L Pool insider and tell him to tell them that!............ :winkold:

I know I agree, I would keep him for 12 months then sell for what we paid for him, if he don't throw his dolly out the pram, and I only posted because I thought you would all like to know. My pool insider is spot on every time, but then again he should be!!! :!:

Has to be sold for a min £20M to show that we still have ambition, then we need to buy a couple of big name players.

If we keep him hopefully we can show some ambition that we want to challenge for europe, but to be far to Downing he must be thinking am i going to play in europe again if i stay or even challenge.

I thought he wasnt for sale Eck :)

Alex McLeish expects Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing to maintain the right attitude and professionalism if his hopes of a move to Liverpool fail to materialise.

Villa have rejected bids of £12million and £15million from the Reds for Downing and McLeish wants the England international to remain at the midlands club.

McLeish says he overcame failing to secure a move to Manchester United as a player and would expect the same response from Downing if he is still at Villa next season.

He said: "I've spoken to Stewart, I've told him I don't want to sell him.

"There's an obvious distraction there for him but he's been a credit to himself and applied himself in the right way and worked his socks off in training. I don't see a problem professionally.

"Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign me for Manchester United when I was at Aberdeen and that wasn't possible in the end.

"That was a big disappointment but I got my head down and worked and I don't doubt Stewart has the character to get through this if he stays at the club.

"It's part of your growing up as a footballer."

Villa will demand £19-20million if it becomes apparent they cannot retain Downing, who has two years remaining of his current contract.

McLeish is optimistic of signing a new keeper to replace Brad Friedel in the near future with Shay Given expected to complete a £3.5 million move from Manchester City.

He said: "We certainly need a keeper and we are making progress. We would like it to happen a bit quicker but we are moving forward."

I don't think £19-20M will get Downing - Bid will have to be in the region of £25M before we'll sell. Unless of course Downing puts in a transfer request, then things might change.

This is like the Barry saga ALL over again...will he, won't he.... and in the end all Liverpool did was unsettle the club and the player and NOT sign him in the end.

Someone tweeted the other day that instead of signing him FSW spent the Barry dosh on Robbie Keane and managed to lose Alonso to boot!

Mat Kendrick has tweeted this morning:-

MatKendrick

McLeish backs Downing to stay professional and give all for #avfc despite #lfc distraction. See Brum Mail

If we dont sell him, does that mean the Young money will be forgotten about? What with Ireland being like a new signing, who needs a replacement for our best player anyway.

(early morning pessimism)

If we dont sell him, does that mean the Young money will be forgotten about? What with Ireland being like a new signing, who needs a replacement for our best player anyway.

(early morning pessimism)

Im sure AM still has a pot of gold to spend, including a % of the Young cash. But yes, i agree that Ireland will be viewed as new signing.

I hope so.

There's been a palpable change in mood with regards to transfers since January; a time where MYSTERYMAN was talking of 'Meltdowns' and signings to blow our minds away. Ofcourse that could all of just been BS spin from the club.

If we're only going to spend a % of the fee from the Young sale, as has been suggested, that means we're going to need several players for under £16m. Can't help but wonder if the idea of signing the likes of Nzogbia and co is quite wide of the mark and, infact, Mcleish will find himself rattling around the bargain basement when it comes to player recruitment this summer.

Â