Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Do you think if he had said that the time when asked the question "Not sure actually I want to win things and that is not looking likely at Villa" and given we were in the shit at the time and facing a relegation fight people would have applauded his honesty?

He also said these things after we were all but safe (when we were 6 points off relegation zone with superior goal difference with 2 games to go and even the staff said we were safe)

He didn't need to say any of that, he didn't need to go either extremes, could have just said "To be honest, I just want to concentrate on this season and make sure I get this club as high up the league as possible and then speak to the club once the season is over then go from there"

Deep down, we all know what that means but it's also respected far more (see A.Young) and you can accept it far easier than someone who lies about their feelings so blatantly.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be ace if we could keep Downing and Sign Nzogbia....!

Never a truer word said!

But let's sign Nzogbia first....I dont want us to risk losing Downing, and then lose on Nzogbia as well. That would be a nightmare.

Absolutly, Nzogbia has to be bought in to replace Young. IF Downing leaves we have to look to replace him too.

People advocating Albrightons elevation to 1st choice need to temper their expectations. Its far too much pressure to put on young Marcs shoulders to be first choice winger for the whole season, with no viable options. He should be rotated throughout the season but we have to be in a position to take him out of the limelight if needs be.

it would be ace if we could keep Downing and Sign Nzogbia....!

Never a truer word said!

But let's sign Nzogbia first....I dont want us to risk losing Downing, and then lose on Nzogbia as well. That would be a nightmare.

Absolutly, Nzogbia has to be bought in to replace Young. IF Downing leaves we have to look to replace him too.

People advocating Albrightons elevation to 1st choice need to temper their expectations. Its far too much pressure to put on young Marcs shoulders to be first choice winger for the whole season, with no viable options. He should be rotated throughout the season but we have to be in a position to take him out of the limelight if needs be.

Totally agree. It would be madness to let Downing go and then try our luck with getting Nzogbia. We need to bring Nzogbia in now.

Agree on Albrighton....Great young talent, but the guy is still learning and needs to progress gradually. I have no doubt he will be a great player for us over the years to come, but he needs to mature and develop at his own pace. Let's not put undue pressure on the kid so early. We need to have two more wingers in place come the start of the season to help the kid develop and learn more about himself as a player and how to cope with the demand of PL football.

ky Sports sources understand Stewart Downing would prefer to join Liverpool, despite interest from Arsenal, and the deal could be finalised on Monday.

The Aston Villa winger was on Wednesday the subject of a £15million bid from Liverpool, but the offer was immediately rejected by Villa Park owner Randy Lerner.

Arsene Wenger's Arsenal, who could lose Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas this summer, are thought to have attempted to hijack their Premier League rivals with an £18million bid.

But England winger Downing has set his mind on a move to Anfield and Liverpool are negotiating a price to buy a player who has two years remaining on his current contract.

Having already lost Ashley Young to Manchester United, new Villa manager Alex McLeish hopes the former Middlesbrough star will stay and the club are under no pressure to sell to suggest they would want a fee in the region of £20m.

Quality

It had been reported, with Arsenal demonstrating their interest, Liverpool had lined up Wigan's Charles N'Zogbia as solution to their search for creativity in wide areas.

The fact Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli and manager Kenny Dalglish have travelled to the Far East for a pre-season tour was also thought to indicate there was no imminent transfer activity.

But Sky Sports sources understand a deal for Downing could be finalised in the early stages of next week.

It has been questioned whether the soon-to-be-27-year-old Downing meets the criteria for young talent sought by Liverpool, which has already resulted in the signings of Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam.

But Dalglish wants quality in wide areas and Downing's crossing ability is viewed as a vital factor in the short-term target to return the club to the top four of the Premier League.

http://tinyurl.com/66nwxew

This article only proves one thing.......That SSN 'reliable' sources are infact twitter rumours from small time journo's who are only interested in how many tweets they get a day....Yes, the info may turn out to be correct....But SSN know sweet f.a as always.

I get the feeling his move isn't all about football or even money, it's about getting back up north. (IMO)

Downings from Middlesbrough isn't he? Liverpool is around 150 miles from Middlesbrough, Birmingham is around 170 miles from Boro.

I get the feeling his move isn't all about football or even money, it's about getting back up north. (IMO)

Downings from Middlesbrough isn't he? Liverpool is around 150 miles from Middlesbrough, Birmingham is around 170 miles from Boro.

Geography was never a strong point. I'll go back in my hole.

:lol:

I could be wrong but it looks like hes on his way, from what the General has written.

EVERY Club has its price and to think that they don't is naive. 2) EVERY Club needs to watch the timing of the contracts of their players or they will see them go at almost no price. 3) EVERY Club has to weigh the advantages of keeping a player who wants to go...expecially depending on the timing of contract. To simply say that the way to go is say "we are not selling" is naive. Two players that have been continually mentioned on this site and others were BOTH offered more money to stay than they received to go....but, in the end, they went. To think that Randy is simply selling off players because he wants to do so is to not know your owner...after all these years.

Shame but Liverpool do have more ambition and we have lost a great manager and our best players.

Its a good thing we are still making progress then....!

For those who thought MON was bad!

Â