Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I get the feeling his move isn't all about football or even money, it's about getting back up north. (IMO)

Downings from Middlesbrough isn't he? Liverpool is around 150 miles from Middlesbrough, Birmingham is around 170 miles from Boro.

Geography was never a strong point. I'll go back in my hole.

:lol:

It's also a hell of a lot easier to get to Middlesbrough from Brum I'd imagine.

He wants to leave because Liverpool are a step up from us at the moment, despite not having European football this year. Look at the money they're spending and the squad they are assembling, they will be much much better this season.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea it's pretty much game over in terms of trying to finish top 6. We will just float around the middle somewhere, maybe finish 7th or something.

So annoyed that we gonna lose him, absolutely rediculous. Football really is pissing me off lately. Brought him for 12 million, he gives us half a season of crap, then does well last season, gets into the England set up and then wants out. Brilliant.

And we havnt even replaced the other bloody winger that's left yet!!!!!!!

I get the feeling his move isn't all about football or even money, it's about getting back up north. (IMO)

Downings from Middlesbrough isn't he? Liverpool is around 150 miles from Middlesbrough, Birmingham is around 170 miles from Boro.

Geography was never a strong point. I'll go back in my hole.

:lol:

It's also a hell of a lot easier to get to Middlesbrough from Brum I'd imagine.

He wants to leave because Liverpool are a step up from us at the moment, despite not having European football this year. Look at the money they're spending and the squad they are assembling, they will be much much better this season.

Well I know Liverpool will be above us but I couldn't understand why anyone would rather play for Liverpool over Arsenal personally.

I could be wrong but it looks like hes on his way, from what the General has written.

EVERY Club has its price and to think that they don't is naive. 2) EVERY Club needs to watch the timing of the contracts of their players or they will see them go at almost no price. 3) EVERY Club has to weigh the advantages of keeping a player who wants to go...expecially depending on the timing of contract. To simply say that the way to go is say "we are not selling" is naive. Two players that have been continually mentioned on this site and others were BOTH offered more money to stay than they received to go....but, in the end, they went. To think that Randy is simply selling off players because he wants to do so is to not know your owner...after all these years.

quote]

The way I am reading this is that the General is talking much more about Ashley Young than Stewart Downing. That said, it also sounds like, offer us enough and we'll consider it because every player has his price. In that case, bye Stewart, don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out. That'll be twenty million pounds please.

coz he's not really got anyone to cross to at arsenal, while at liverpool he's got a potential england starter in carrol perhaps?

Possibly but he's a very good footballer, he's better than just "get it, byline, cross" sort of player. He's got way more than that to his game. Most of assists from wide areas come from picking players out with balls along the floor rather than crosses.

Well I know Liverpool will be above us but I couldn't understand why anyone would rather play for Liverpool over Arsenal personally.

Maybe he doesn't think their style of play would suit him? It's all speculation at this point anyway, I'm not sure Arsenal are even in for him.

Maybe he doesn't think their style of play would suit him? It's all speculation at this point anyway, I'm not sure Arsenal are even in for him.

Tomorrows Guardian says Villa are yet to receive a formal offer from Arsenal.

Downing going is just another reality check for us Villa fans. Aston Villa is the perfect stepping stone in becoming an England regular and playing for the top 5.

If you are a promising/good player and want to play for a big club then it would be ideal to come here and you can guarantee if you play well enough the big teams will come in for you.

By the way this is not a dig at the board, it's more a dig at human nature and footballers in general.

us being a stepping stone isnt necessarily a bad thing. under mon we were one darren bent away from being the finished product. we didnt get him and we slipped away and had to start over. next time we need to take the chance. as long as players see us as a way into the national team and a stepping stone to the bigger teams, theres always a chance we can get the right personnel together at just the right time to let us gatecrash

its much better that we're seen as the stepping stone than a team nobody wants to join full stop

Yes you're right.

I for one am just getting used to it and I guess there's not much us fans can do to change it. In fact there is not much Randy can do to change it either.

It's just one of those facts we have to accept and maybe, as you say, with a lot of luck we'll manage to get the right personnel together one day and achieve something.

According to the Journo on Talk Sport this morning (yes I know!) - he was very clear at the press conference before the Euro qualifier that he wanted to join Liverpool. I just wish he'd hurry up and go now. I hope Liverpool crash and burn this season - I'm so sick of hearing about them, King Kenny this, King Kenny that :evil:

Of all the big names that have left us in the past, Yorke, Ehiogu, Southgate, Barry, Milner, Young etc. I can safetly say that I resent this piece of shit more than any of them just for the timing of it and the way he has manufactured this move. Dirty, coniving little scrote.

According to the Journo on Talk Sport this morning (yes I know!) - he was very clear at the press conference before the Euro qualifier that he wanted to join Liverpool. I just wish he'd hurry up and go now. I hope Liverpool crash and burn this season - I'm so sick of hearing about them, King Kenny this, King Kenny that :evil:

He said he wants play in CL and get trophies. Nothing about Liverpool and want out this summer.

He is staying

Â