Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Liverpool aint going to pay the £25m that we want!

Its only £19m that we want and I bet liverpool will pay it.

Aston Villa name their price for Downing

Aston Villa have slapped a price tag of £19million on winger Stewart Downing, Press Association Sport understands.

Villa have rejected a second bid - of around £15m - for the England international from Liverpool.

New Villa manager Alex McLeish would like to keep hold of Downing after losing the services of Ashley Young to Manchester United.

But if the player is to leave, Villa will hold out for what they consider to be a fair price for the former Middlesbrough player.

A source close to Villa said: 'The club have made it known what they regard as a fair price for Stewart Downing, if he is to be sold.'

Liverpool had an initial offer of around £12m turned down for Downing - the price Villa paid for him when he moved from Boro two years ago.

Downing has two years remaining of his contract but made it clear last month that he would not be signing a new deal at this juncture.

He told Press Association Sport: 'My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract.

'I've still got two years to go, so I've still got a long time to go, so I just decided to leave it as it is.

'Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure.'

Downing is due to report to pre-season training on Friday with Villa. He endured an injury-hit first campaign after signing for them when still recovering from a broken foot.

But last season Downing was in outstanding form and was Villa's player of the year.

LINK

EDIT: Another link HERE

It's only that article that speculates we have "slapped" a £19M price tag on him. Oh, and a "source close to Villa" saying we have made it clear what the price is.

He told Press Association Sport: 'My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract

Agents. **** leaches the lot of them. He's looking for a bigger payout himself.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 mill isn't enough in this day & age, they need to just pay up so we can avoid yet another saga & use the money to strengthen...sorry I mean use half the money to strengthen...this season I have the same feelings as when O'Leary & Doug were running things...not good.

Carroll £35m

Torress £50m

Henderson £20m

Downing - recently forced his way back into the England squad after being our best player this year, 2 years left on his contract £19m ... no way.

I assert he's worth at least £25m in the current market.

I wouldn't have the the anmosity towards him that some here seem to though. He's done well for us, but he's seen Young leave and McLeish join and he's seen Liverpool spending big and finishing last season looking like a decent side again. Any player with ambition would be interested in switching given the chance. It's sad, but I don't blame him.

What a load of weak watery nonsense.

Theres lot of truth in it tho.

The appointment of such a poor manager has sent out a massive signal to everyone.

Na, he announced his desire to leave well before we appointed Big Eck.

He told Press Association Sport: 'My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract

Isn't that quote from a month or two ago though? Looks like a column-filling rehash to me.

(1) We sign him on a broken leg - have faith in him - pay his wages for approx 6 months when he's sitting on his arse INJURED and then he takes about 6 months to get proper match fit.

(2) He has ONE good season - WOW

(3) If he doesnt like it, hand in a transfer request but he wont because he then has to forgo bonuses etc - wot a coward

(4) "I want to go to a Champions League club" - last time I checked Lplop weren't in it.

I think when he goes, I will not have despised a player leaving Villa for many many a year - absolute grade one tool / turncoat. Hope he breaks his other leg the day he signs for em. At least Ash gave us good service and left in the right manner - Downing your an absolute w****r!!! :twisted:

I wouldn't have the the anmosity towards him that some here seem to though. He's done well for us, but he's seen Young leave and McLeish join and he's seen Liverpool spending big and finishing last season looking like a decent side again. Any player with ambition would be interested in switching given the chance. It's sad, but I don't blame him.

What a load of weak watery nonsense.

Theres lot of truth in it tho.

The appointment of such a poor manager has sent out a massive signal to everyone.

Na, he announced his desire to leave well before we appointed Big Eck.

True but appointing such a poor manager wasn't exactly going to make him think "hang on" .

Face it appointing McLeish has sent a big signal to everyone -including players - taht after such a rubbish season last season we are settling now for longterm mediocrity at best and austerity.

Hmm, this all looks horribly familiar. Deja Vu you might say. Liverpool acting the way they did with Gareth Barry all over again?

In all honesty, if he went to Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea or United, I wouldn't be that bothered, good luck to him. They're the big players.

Liverpool though? **** off.

True but appointing such a poor manager wasn't exactly going to make him think "hang on" .

Face it appointing McLeish has sent a big signal to everyone -including players - taht after such a rubbish season last season we are settling now for longterm mediocrity at best and austerity.

Unfortunately, you've hit the nail on the head and this sums up how I feel. We're just falling further and further behind the big boys and I can't see us reclaiming a spot in the top 6 for the forseeable future. I don't blame any player, especially an England international with a bit of ambition who wants out of Villa at the moment. Darren Bent must be wondering what the hell he's signed up for.

As long as the bindippers pay up I couldn't be less interested in Downing leaving, show us the money.

I'm only interested in players that want to play for Villa and any new signings that come in, not those leaving.

That said it really pisses me off that a player can with the help of his agent orchestrate a move without asking for a transfer and thus pocket a **** loyalty bonus! Cnuts the lot of them.

I don't think it's about money either. I suspect we could and would match whatever Liverpool's offer is there.

I'm sure they can pay a lot more than we can. A couple of examples - Jovanovic is on 120k a week, I think Joe Cole is on 90k a week. I suspect Downing would be on about 100k and can't see us offering that.

This is why Liverpool won't pay the money because they have to bring down their wage bill. I can't see then offering him 100 grand +. They can't afford it.

therealfanatix fanatix

Liverpool eye Spain star as Aston Villa reject second Downing bid | Fanatix fanatix.com/liverpool-eye-… #lfc #avfc

Tweets says Liverpool turning their attention to Valencia midfielder Juan Mata after another failed bid.

I don't beleive Villa will sell Downing for £19M. AM said we're only selling for a stupid price and £19M is a realistic price.

The cheeky gets bid £12M initially from what I'm hearing...isn't that the price we paid the smoggies for him with a broken foot??!!!

Stewart Downing made those comments weeks ago when he was on England duty before AM was appointed... just re-hashed quotes.

What has changed subsequently?

I don't think it's about money either. I suspect we could and would match whatever Liverpool's offer is there.

I'm sure they can pay a lot more than we can. A couple of examples - Jovanovic is on 120k a week, I think Joe Cole is on 90k a week. I suspect Downing would be on about 100k and can't see us offering that.

This is why Liverpool won't pay the money because they have to bring down their wage bill. I can't see then offering him 100 grand +. They can't afford it.

I think, much like ourselves, they will be able to pay the same salaries as before but want to reduce the overall playing staff. If they can shift the likes of Joe Cole, Jovanovic, N'Gog etc. then they can afford to pay a player who should be a first team regular 100k.

Were Villa to sell for £19m which I very much doubt I think there would be huge questions for the club to answer as that almost smacks of a fire sale.

AMcL is on the record saying that it would have to be ridiculous offer for Downing to go. That is not such an offer. Clearly the steer came from the club so he would be being undermined if we accepted a lower offer. I think the £19m is what Liverpool probably want to pay and no doubt they or Downing's agent is putting that about the media.

What's interesting is the clear disrespect Liverpool have again shown for Villa. With Barry I attributed it to a combination of the FSW and Rick Parry. Clearly its endemic to that club. Peronsally I can see RL and PF playing hardball on this.

Â