Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Rumours LFC bid £12M first of all.. Villa just said "you havin a laff mate?"....

If Scousers have come back with a bid of £15M.. I can't see the Board selling him for anywhere near that - it would have to be FAR more..... and I doubt LFC will come back with another bid TBH but we shall see.

He's got to be worth considerably more than £15M... he was best player we had on the field last season in many games and he's only

26!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest this is pissing me off now.

I accepted the signing of mcleish, i accepted the selling of Young but this is just a step too far.

First we sold barry, ok we'll move on, then we sold milner, ok we'll move on..... Now its Young and Downing. Not exactly sure what our assets are after those pair go, basically just Bent.

Heskey was done last season, Brad has gone, Reo Coker is gone, Petrov must be on his last legs, unless Mcleish signs 5-6 players (which he probably won't) we are going to struggle to put a team out next year, might aswell play the full youth team as an experiment, sounds like a joke really but thats pretty much Aston Villa at the moment, a BIG JOKE.

How have we gone from Champs League hopefuls 2-3 years ago to mid table also rans so quickly?

Its almost as if the o' neill and lerner years didnt happen and we are back to the mid table stodge of the last 15 years.

I think it's absolutely baffling that he came out when we were in a relegation battle saying he wants to stay and then as soon as things start looking up and we do better and end up finishing 9th he wants out. :|

Tapped up my friend.

This would seem the obvious reason for such a swing in his feelings!

I thought all this underhand dealing was meant to have finished once FSW left? Looks like it runs a bit deeper Scousers!

Who do they think they are?

Yet again the idiots fail to grasp one simple thing. We don't want to sell him, therefore we will not offer them a cut-rate deal and will only sell him if the amount offered outweighs the cost of losing him.

Exactly, they can't seem to get that into their thick heads.

Also, Downing can't afford to waste this season in a sulk if he has serious ambitions of playing for England at next summers Euro championships, assuming England qualify of course.

Now there's talk of them offloading Joe Cole in the deal. We've been stung by that sort of thing before (SI) and we don't want another over inflated egotistical, wage demander.

He'll go for about 18m and that's OK.

If we sell Downing for 20m and get Nzogbia in for 10m. Ill be **** delighted.

Agreed.

With the emergence of Albrighton last season, it's like having a brand new signing.

If we sell Downing, replace him with N'Zogbia, then use the extra money to invest in another part of the squad (Parker? Mulumbu? etc) then I think we could be better off with a well-rounded team.

Agreed.

With the emergence of Albrighton last season, it's like having a brand new signing.

If we sell Downing, replace him with N'Zogbia, then use the extra money to invest in another part of the squad (Parker? Mulumbu? etc) then I think we could be better off with a well-rounded team.

Okay but we still need to replace both Ash and Downing. N'Zogbia would be Ash's replacement, but we need a replacement for Downing!

If Albrighton gets injured early next year, we're screwed, and we'd have to play Gabby on the wing again. Or NRC (oh wait...)

Agreed.

Okay but we still need to replace both Ash and Downing. N'Zogbia would be Ash's replacement, but we need a replacement for Downing!

If Albrighton gets injured early next year, we're screwed, and we'd have to play Gabby on the wing again. Or NRC (oh wait...)

"This".

And for what it's worth, I wouldnt want to go into the season relying on Albrighton. He faded badly in the 2nd half of last season and isnt quite up to the job, yet.

We'd need to replace both Ash and Downing which would probably mean:

N'Zogbia and 1 from:

Jarvis

Krancjar

Adam Johnson

Dont fool yourselves with all the Downing bashing now. If he leaves our team will be weaker even if we sign Nzogbia. Without him last season we wouldnt be in this division.

15million is ridiculous money, i think we would still get that for him next summer with only 1 year left on his contract. Liverpool are said to have offered Ngog as part of the deal, seriously, this guy is crap.

I reckon we could get loads more out of Liverpool. They are stupid enough to pay £35M for Carroll and £20M for Jordan **** Henderson. Slap a £25M on Downings head I've no doubt they'd pay it. They won't leave him alone either so might aswell just hand him over.

I reckon we could get loads more out of Liverpool. They are stupid enough to pay £35M for Carroll and £20M for Jordan **** Henderson. Slap a £25M on Downings head I've no doubt they'd pay it. They won't leave him alone either so might aswell just hand him over.

They may have a lot of money to splash around, but they probably have a few targets lined up. If we say £25m or not, I think they'd walk away - unless Downing did the sin of handing in a transfer request (which is doubtful - he wants to be seen as the model professional)

Â