Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

cant blame him, dont like what he is doing but i doubt he likes what is happening at our club.

only way to stop it is sign decent players to try and keep the likes of downing and bent.

sign crap players such as cambell or old players on the way down like injured given or wes brown again shows which way we are heading and our players will leave.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool aint going to pay the £25m that we want!

Its only £19m that we want and I bet liverpool will pay it.

Aston Villa name their price for Downing

Aston Villa have slapped a price tag of £19million on winger Stewart Downing, Press Association Sport understands.

Villa have rejected a second bid - of around £15m - for the England international from Liverpool.

New Villa manager Alex McLeish would like to keep hold of Downing after losing the services of Ashley Young to Manchester United.

But if the player is to leave, Villa will hold out for what they consider to be a fair price for the former Middlesbrough player.

A source close to Villa said: 'The club have made it known what they regard as a fair price for Stewart Downing, if he is to be sold.'

Liverpool had an initial offer of around £12m turned down for Downing - the price Villa paid for him when he moved from Boro two years ago.

Downing has two years remaining of his contract but made it clear last month that he would not be signing a new deal at this juncture.

He told Press Association Sport: 'My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract.

'I've still got two years to go, so I've still got a long time to go, so I just decided to leave it as it is.

'Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure.'

Downing is due to report to pre-season training on Friday with Villa. He endured an injury-hit first campaign after signing for them when still recovering from a broken foot.

But last season Downing was in outstanding form and was Villa's player of the year.

LINK

EDIT: Another link HERE

15 + N'gog = no thanks

or maybe on the other way 20 + Heskey :))

Is it true that N'Zogbia wont come til we sell Downing?

The rumour is that unless we sell Downing to Liverpool then they'll go in for CNZ, therefore, both Wigan and CNZ will wait to make sure they cant get a better deal out of Liverpool before selling to us.

£19M ?? so henderson is worth £20m carroll £35m but downing only £19m..we bought him with a broken foot for £12m and is now our best player along with Bent..he is worth far more than £19m IMO

And if he so badly wants to play CL football then why the hell does he wanna go to the red scouse..thier team is not much better than ours anyway..Word removed

Is this just a matter of time, then, before he goes?

Yep. Might aswell sell him for £19m now rather than for £10m next summer.

I disagree.

Apart from weakening the team, it would be a pretty poor start to McLeish's reign.

cant blame him, dont like what he is doing but i doubt he likes what is happening at our club.

only way to stop it is sign decent players to try and keep the likes of downing and bent.

sign crap players such as cambell or old players on the way down like injured given or wes brown again shows which way we are heading and our players will leave.

Havde to say your opinion has shifted a bit over the course of the last 12 months, not criticising you for it it is just for me your position seems to be symptomatic of how a few supporters opinions have changed.

FWIW it is on a par now to where mine was and still is

On Downing I absolutely agree with you. To me people blaming him or saying he "owes us" are missing a huge point and directing their blame for this situation in entirely the wrong place.

£19M ?? so henderson is worth £20m carroll £35m but downing only £19m..we bought him with a broken foot for £12m and is now our best player along with Bent..he is worth far more than £19m IMO

And if he so badly wants to play CL football then why the hell does he wanna go to the red scouse..thier team is not much better than ours anyway..Word removed

ambition?

what vibes are coming from scouseland? they seem rather positive and upbeat, they have a manager the fans love and believe in, they have spent big on quality players and show they want to continue signing top quallity players

whatvibes have been coming out of villa?

a manager no one wanted, selling our best players, linked with some right bags of shit, sell to buy policy being hinted at, and the prospect of shit football.

maybe that is a factor?

Liverpools problem is they have used all the Torres Cash on Henderson and Carroll that ,IMO is why they are low bidding for Downing and apparantly Adam.

It should also be noted both those deals were done pretty quickly where as Adam and Downing the bids have been low and ''some how'' leaked to the press

Havde to say your opinion has shifted a bit over the course of the last 12 months, not criticising you for it it is just for me your position seems to be symptomatic of how a few supporters opinions have changed.

FWIW it is on a par now to where mine was and still is

On Downing I absolutely agree with you. To me people blaming him or saying he "owes us" are missing a huge point and directing their blame for this situation in entirely the wrong place.

are you on about my opinion of downing?

it did change sort of.

he is still a far better player on the left but the team played better when young was put back on the left instead of in the middle and downing was on the right. because at the time to accomadate downing on the right, we played alby on the left, with the best will in the world, and i like alby, he was shit on the left, so to me it made no sense keeping downing on the right ( his worst side) and alby on the left( his worst side) just sop young could swan around in the middle.

i also havent changed my opinion on the downing bottle, even if it is 60/40 in his favour he shys away from a challenge, i hate seeing it almost as much as spitting on another player, i hate it THAT much, its a physical game, im not saying challenge when up against a man mountain who leaves his foot in each time but a 60/40 against someone of the same size to stand still or back off is pretty shameful.

however he was very good when bent was added

i have always wanted us to sign decent players rather than old injured players and i dont want us losing our best players when it looks like we will not be replacing them with anything good.

Liverpools problem is they have used all the Torres Cash on Henderson and Carroll that ,IMO is why they are low bidding for Downing and apparantly Adam.

It should also be noted both those deals were done pretty quickly where as Adam and Downing the bids have been low and ''some how'' leaked to the press

i thought they also spent £20 million on suarez? so that would be more than the torres money then?

I can't believe some folks are blaming our club for this happening. Using the old 'it's no wonder he wants out we keep selling our best players' argument. I'm not sure what the Villa are supposed to do ?

People talk about holding a 20m player against his will, sticking him in the reserves and letting him leave for nowt in 2 years time. Er, we're talking about 20M HERE. How is any business supposed to write 20m off ?

I'm sure some people think it's monopoly money!.

We didn't sell Barry, Milner, Young because WE needed the money. We sold them because THEY wanted out. In two instances they got tapped up and had gold waved under thir noses, and in the latter case the player was offered the chance to join one of the best clubs on the planet.

What are Villa supposed to do?, match the crazy wages City offered Milner and Barry?, we can't manage our finances as it is nevermind if we started paying players 100k a week!

Now we come to Downing. Don't give me all that 'he's off because we lack ambition' shite. He was 'seeing the bigger picture' and happy as larry a few months ago. He's been tapped up and told his weekly wage will probably double if he moves. Plain and simple.

Liverpool are a team with no chance of winning big honours anymore just like us, but they still have some nostalgia value assosciated with their name and always will have. Some players heads get turned by that, but more heads get turned by the wages on offer.

Someone claimed appointing McLeish as manager was the reason he wanted out, ABSOLUTE BALONEY!

If we'd appointed Ancelotti or Martinez it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. He's been told what he wants to hear, BIG £££ week in week out. And that's all it takes.

He's just another in a long line, and there will be more in the future, leaving us for slightly bigger clubs, just as there will be players leaving the likes of Liverpool for bigger and better clubs. That's football.

Get rid, 20m and we're laughing all the way to the bank.

i thought they also spent £20 million on suarez? so that would be more than the torres money then?

The point being they have less money than before...

Anything less that £18m and they can do one, it's a reasonable price in this day and age.

We bought him for only £6m less, while he was badly injured, from a relegated side and at a time when he was miles away from the England squad. Fast forward two years and we have put him back on the metaphorical footballing map.

At a time when the English transfer market is so inflated, £18m should be the minimum offer. Also consider he was our best player last season by absolute miles and that they have spent so much on future non-entity players such as Henderson and quite possibly Carroll.

Â