Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Can't believe that people are saying he owes us or that he is not loyal

I am afraid he is a professional footballer he owes us nothing. He was bought when injured (the club knew this) he was given a good contract and has performed well enough to have been picked for the first team and been paid as per his contract for that. Such notions as loyalty or having a debt to repay us are actually non-existent in the professional game. They are paid mercenaries and will move to whereever they feel is best suited to give them what they want.

I totally agree that Downing does not owe us anything just because we bought him injured and all that business. The only thing that leaves me irked about him is the whole webchat he did with us where he basically said he was happy staying here. If he wants to leave, fine, he would not be the first. But what he did was very misleading and shows a true lack of class on his behalf if he ends up signing a transfer request and pushing any move through.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's absolutely baffling that he came out when we were in a relegation battle saying he wants to stay and then as soon as things start looking up and we do better and end up finishing 9th he wants out. :|

Forget how many times Downing and Albrighton combined for goals last season. Shame he's not commited to us because that partnership could blossom even further this season.

It's something all wingers should do really, look to arrive at the back post. If Downing were replaced by N'Zogbia I think he would do the same.

I think it's absolutely baffling that he came out when we were in a relegation battle saying he wants to stay and then as soon as things start looking up and we do better and end up finishing 9th he wants out. :|

Not baffling, just saying what's best for him at the time he was saying it, thus:

In a relegation battle and are worried that you won't attract a big money move from the Championship? Then say you're committed to the club and help you're team away from trouble.

Transfer window open and you've helped your team stay in the Premiership by being their player of the season? Then express your desire to move whilst ensuring you don't submit a formal transfer request else you'll lose your £1m+ loyalty bonus when you're sold!.

Simples. :winkold:

Not baffling, just saying what's best for him at the time he was saying it, thus:

In a relegation battle and are worried that you won't attract a big money move from the Championship? Then say you're committed to the club and help you're team away from trouble.

Transfer window open and you've helped your team stay in the Premiership by being their player of the season? Then express your desire to move whilst ensuring you don't submit a formal transfer request else you'll lose your £1m+ loyalty bonus when you're sold!.

Add onto that Agent's influence, which is probably the strongest factor here.

I would've thought he would just stay quiet in the relegation battle. That way, when he does express his desire to move at the end of the season he doesn't look like as much of a prick.

Tapped up my friend.

Funny how Liverpool fans where trying to say Henderson wasn't £20mil as Ngog was included in the fee but it turns out he wasn't

I can not belive they think they can pay £35mil for Carrol ,£20mil for Henderson they low ball us on Downing.

I would've thought he would just stay quiet in the relegation battle. That way, when he does express his desire to move at the end of the season he doesn't look like as much of a prick.

I thought his 'I'm happy' statement came in an interview when he was asked directly about his future at the club (especially as he was having a good season whilst the team wasn't). Staying quiet was then not an option.

The bit I struggle with is the media are saying we want £19m.

How does that square with Liverpool paying £20m for Henderson. AMcL also said we would only sell for crazy money. Now I thought that meant a high price not a low one. For me if they offer £25m they can have him. A £5m premium for an established PL player and international seems pretty fair to me.

And they can forget Ngog he is shite. Much rather see Weimann given a shout or the Fonz.

Typical Liverpool, a complete lack of respect. But what do you expect from a bunch of pinch featured dole boys in trackies.

Â