The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

12 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It’s where he played in our youth teams and when he first came in to our first team, it’s not a position he is unfamiliar with. He should be able to adapt to what the manager asks him to do, no questions asked

But it's clearly not his best position, so it's no major coincidence that his form has dropped off somewhat as a result of being played in a position where he isn't as effective, it makes no difference whether he played there in the youths teams. The fact of the matter is that the best he has ever played for us consistently was last season where he played centrally, there's no logic in moving one of the best players in the league out to a position where he isn't as effective, it's ridiculous management from a ridiculous manager.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who? We can’t just sack him and have no-one lined up

Of course we can. It ain't gonna happen obviously, but the way we're now playing... Doris the tea lady could pick the team and it couldn't possibly look any worse. But let's not stray off topic anymore in this thread. Grealish should be playing as an attacking centremid. It's downright criminal having him on the wing.

My worry is most of the midfield has scored:

• McGinn has scored
  • Hourihane has scored
  • Bjarnason has scored
when is jack going to score?
possibly the best player of all needs to show it.

10 games now no goal.

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

But it's clearly not his best position, so it's no major coincidence that his form has dropped off somewhat as a result of being played in a position where he isn't as effective, it makes no difference whether he played there in the youths teams. The fact of the matter is that the best he has ever played for us consistently was last season where he played centrally, there's no logic in moving one of the best players in the league out to a position where he isn't as effective, it's ridiculous management from a ridiculous manager.

When he first started for us under Sherwood and Lambert, he played on the left and was brilliant 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

10 games now no goal.

I know Jack can hit an inch perfect 40 yard pass fairly consistently and yet in sight of goal, the same sweetly struck accurate kick turns in to a scuffed or off target shot. I can’t understand why Jack doesn’t visualise a player that he wants to pass to, stood about 30 yards behind the goal. Then the shots would be flying in.

Jack’s issue in front of goal seems psychological. It would be interesting to see if Jack scored goals in training matches.

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

I know Jack can hit an inch perfect 40 yard pass fairly consistently and yet in sight of goal, the same sweetly struck accurate kick turns in to a scuffed or off target shot. I can’t understand why Jack doesn’t visualise a player that he wants to pass to, stood about 30 yards behind the goal. Then the shots would be flying in.

Jack’s issue in front of goal seems psychological. It would be interesting to see if Jack scored goals in training matches.

Perhaps a "shooting coach" like Brentford.

whats Bruce Rioch doing?

Edited by TRO

36 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

When he first started for us under Sherwood and Lambert, he played on the left and was brilliant 

Even if Bruce was aware of the above it must be obvious by now that Jack hasn’t been playing to his ability on the left. Perhaps he should be given a go in an advanced central role.?️‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Perhaps a "shooting coach" like Brentford.

whats Bruce Rioch doing?

I think we should strategically place lookalikes of Villa players behind the goals and insist Jack hits a firm ‘pass’ to them as often as possible!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

• McGinn has scored
  • Hourihane has scored
  • Bjarnason has scored

10 games now no goal.

Elmo, bolasie, elghazi have all scored from playing midfield also. If he really is as good as he's made out to be playing wide or central he should still be contributing more, when makeshift left back Alan Hutton has more goals after ten games it shows how poor he's been. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

Even if Bruce was aware of the above it must be obvious by now that Jack hasn’t been playing to his ability on the left. Perhaps he should be given a go in an advanced central role.?️‍♂️

Well, SB says he sees him as an inside forward ( which is an old term, I know)....so do I actually, but he needs to score goals if he is to play that role.

mooching around near the DM will not get him those goals......and when he is ( inevitably) brought down, it needs to be somewhere, where it hurts the opposition, not on the half way line.

If he is going to continually take knocks, we want some pay back....like Pens or free kicks in dangerous positions......what is the point of him getting injured, by being brought down in our own half?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Elmo, bolasie, elghazi have all scored from playing midfield also. If he really is as good as he's made out to be playing wide or central he should still be contributing more, when makeshift left back Alan Hutton has more goals after ten games it shows how poor he's been. 

I don't think he has been as poor as we think.....just wrongly deployed and playing in area's where it can't hurt anyone.

I wouldn't go as far as to say hiding or comfortably out of the way.....but something is not right.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think he has been as poor as we think.....just wrongly deployed and playing in area's where it can't hurt anyone.

I wouldn't go as far as to say hiding or comfortably out of the way.....but something is not right.

How many teams lose a play-off final or just miss out and then  tank the next season? It's a frequent thing. The exceptions tend to be the ones such as Brighton who both play a type of football that is better than many teams at this level can match AND who keep the squad together with just a bit of freshening up, so Brighton, for example. It's a big swing in confidence and impetus. Add on top of that as you rightly say Paul, IMO, the transfer thing, JT going ...etc and played in a mix of positions with ever changing selections.

He's doing pretty well IMO, without tearing up any trees. It'll come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

• McGinn has scored
  • Hourihane has scored
  • Bjarnason has scored

10 games now no goal.

Jack has never been prolific. That's the major flaw with his game, lack of end product assist and goal wise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, limvillian said:

Been poor tonight. Need your big players to step up on nights like this but all he has done is get booked for pettiness. Looks more a luxury player than a lynchpin this season so far. 

Not helped by the fact he’s pretty much been playing right back. 

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

Not helped by the fact he’s pretty much been playing right back. 

No but you expect the top players grab the game by the scruff of the neck, demand  and put their foot on the ball and control things a bit. Not seen anything of that. 

Â