The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, Harry said:

My point was more about the fact he not really as good a player as many think he is rather than how he plays in any game.  Over the years all the evidence suggests that our academy isn't that good at producing premiership or perhaps even championship grade players. 

As a general rule, I agree. But a generalisation is irrelevant to an individual. Just because an individual comes from a poor academy doesn't mean he won't be good. Just like a player from a good academy can be bad.

Grealish is a very talented player, I don't think that's really debatable IMO. He just needs to improve his decision making a bit and not let being fouled constantly get in to his head. Both of these things will come with experience and I really do think people forget he only turned 21 a few months ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't think its that simple with Jack  unfortunately. Just my opinion but I think if we were playing decent football he wouldn't get in the team. 

My disappointment at him not being in the team would be somewhat soothed at the fact we were playing decent football. 

Yes, sarcastically cheering him off the pitch was actually disgraceful. Stuff like that really shouldn't surprise me anymore at Villa Park though, our home support has been poisonous for ages tbh.  

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Yes, sarcastically cheering him off the pitch was actually disgraceful. Stuff like that really shouldn't surprise me anymore at Villa Park though, our home support has been poisonous for ages tbh.  

yet our home form has been decent and our away support which is always amazing has seen one win in a long time 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Che Adams 28 games 4 goals as a striker  Grealish not a striker 24 games 3 goals 

pretty fair and bizarre comparison

How many of them are sub appearances?

And in addition grealish should be embarrassed that he has a similar record to him

Edited by Demitri_C

Grealish reminds me of Ozil a little bit. I'm not saying Grealish is anywhere near the level of Ozil (who IMO is the best no.10 in the world).

However, neither of them have an aggressive or physically imposing streak, neither have the power to assert themselves on games in a struggling side. They only shine when they're in a team that's dominating possession.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Grealish reminds me of Ozil a little bit. I'm not saying Grealish is anywhere near the level of Ozil (who IMO is the best no.10 in the world).

However, neither of them have an aggressive or physically imposing streak, neither have the power to assert themselves on games in a struggling side. They only shine when they're in a team that's dominating possession.

If that's the case I would rather sell him. I don't want players here who only perform when team is shining.  We need players who are willing to graft when we are playing well as well as when we are out of form.

What frustrates me most with grealish is he has the ability but very rarely demonstrates it. He thinks he has made it but his achieved nothing. His career is taking a complete nose dive. At one point he thought he would have England or ROI to choose from. Neither is gonna go near him with his recent shit performances

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Not a starter for me at the moment as he drifts in and out of the game too much and rarely grabs the game by the scruff of the neck for sustained periods. 

Certainly a good option off the bench but not first XI quality for me.

Problem is we don't have much first XI quality at the moment :D

I don't agree with the booing on Tuesday at all, but I put it down to frustration on both parts. I partly blame Bruce for starting him after his petulance v Forest. Personally, I would have had him on the bench with Green starting. 

I'm desperate for Jack to succeed here as there is nothing better than seeing one of our own make it, but on what I've seen this season, I don't think he will. He wants too much time on the ball, which you simply don't get in the Championship. He would probably be better suited to a Premier League team as bizarre as it sounds

Never forget when we lost 6-0 to Liverpool and 2 hours later Jack was on the piss in Birmingham. A Villa fan called him out and asked how we can be so jovial after being embarrassed on the pitch like that, and as a Villa fan himself be able to go out as if nothing had happened. He got the guy kicked out the pub. 

On 16/02/2017 at 15:59, theboyangel said:

Not a starter for me at the moment as he drifts in and out of the game too much and rarely grabs the game by the scruff of the neck for sustained periods. 

Certainly a good option off the bench but not first XI quality for me.

Agree with this - until he gets more consistency to his game would say he should be an impact player from the bench.

11 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Never forget when we lost 6-0 to Liverpool and 2 hours later Jack was on the piss in Birmingham. A Villa fan called him out and asked how we can be so jovial after being embarrassed on the pitch like that, and as a Villa fan himself be able to go out as if nothing had happened. He got the guy kicked out the pub. 

I'm by no means Grealish's biggest fan, Grealish had no fathomable reason to be out partying after that kind of emarassment.  On the other hand, a fan that tries to quarrell with him or harass him in a bar, really should have been tossed out.

• Like 3

I wonder is it worth trying him out on the right wing. He has failed to impose himself as a number 10, on the left wing he slows play up too much by cutting in unnecessarily and turning back too much. Put him out on the right, instruct him to put a shift in and tell whenever he creates a yard of space in the opponents 3rd to put a quality ball in. Encourage him to play through balls for Hogan and Kodjia when further out. Adomah could be used as impact sub if chasing the game.

On another note I reckon Jack is not happy with Bruce in charge. So far in his career his performances have been poor when he was unhappy with manager. Petulant I now but he has played well under Shaun Derry and Sherwood when he had a close relationship with both. He could come good with the next one. Green is still a better prospect at the moment though.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

On 15/02/2017 at 00:01, DaveAV1 said:

We can talk all day and night about JG's strengths and weaknesses, but ultimately the one thing that concerns me most, is that I've never seen the lad bust a gut. I want him to succeed, I've defended him in many an argument, but without hard work no player ever fulfills their potential. 

I watched the first half of Bournmouth v Man Citeh last night, and the thing that stood out for me was the way Bournmouth worked so hard and in every position. They played for each other and everyone put in maximum effort. Citeh had a little more quality but Bournmouth were excellent. I can't remember the last time I saw a Villa team work like that, let alone Jack Grealish. 

Couldn't agree more Dave. I've spent all morning trying to drill that into my 12yr old after his game today, but thats a different story. 

There are very, very few players that get to the top in this game without working hard, and those that do get away it because of world class talent, something Jack hasn't, and will never have. On the subject of world class players he would do well to look at guys like Ronaldo and Hazard. Early in their careers both were more bothered with silly stopovers than actually effecting a game. They changed their attitudes and work ethic and became world class. Jack will never be that, but a change in attitude could ensure he has a future at a decent level within the game. If he doesn't he'll end up back at the likes of Notts County. 

36 minutes ago, av1 said:

Couldn't agree more Dave. I've spent all morning trying to drill that into my 12yr old after his game today, but thats a different story. 

There are very, very few players that get to the top in this game without working hard, and those that do get away it because of world class talent, something Jack hasn't, and will never have. On the subject of world class players he would do well to look at guys like Ronaldo and Hazard. Early in their careers both were more bothered with silly stopovers than actually effecting a game. They changed their attitudes and work ethic and became world class. Jack will never be that, but a change in attitude could ensure he has a future at a decent level within the game. If he doesn't he'll end up back at the likes of Notts County. 

Generally those at the top have a great work ethic too. Apparently they have to drag Ronaldo off the training ground everyday and do you ever hear anything about Messi going out on the pop? I hope your lad enjoys his football at what ever level he reaches. Hopefully lifts the European Cup as Villa captain :D

Â