The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Have people not seen this in the Irish Times?

Jack's dad says the reports are untrue.

“There is nothing in that report whatsoever,” insisted Kevin Grealish. “No decision has been made by Jack yet. He hasn’t even played much football this season because of injuries.”

Edited by Ooh-Ah

Yeah I suppose the dearth in quality means the Irish meeja's M.O. is to find the next young thing rather than report on the shite that's currently there.  I'm not bothered about him declaring for England from a Villa point of view, other than the fact that as soon as a Villa player becomes an England international, he leaves Villa soon afterwards.  Reading between his agent's lines, that's pretty much the direction he's going to be pushed in too.

From an Irish point of view it's a huge shame for us as he's a fabulous talent.  I hope he does well for England because I don't want to see him be a bit part player for them getting 10 caps in his career.  He's probably good enough to make it but you never know.  He's up against a big pool of talent and you never know when the next Beckham is coming through the ranks to make a position (maybe your position) his own for the next decade.

At Ireland he knew he'd get >100 caps.  He'd be a legend and he'd probably be good enough to be the difference every now and again between a side that qualifies for a finals and the side that doesn't.  At England he won't be a legend.  They will qualify for everything.  He just has to hope he's on that plane each time.

Either way, that agent is right.  Being an England international is a much more bankable claim to be putting on your CV. ££££

I'm afraid that's how I see it too. 

If he lives up to his potential and plays for England then Villa are quids in, everyone is a winner in that situation

I didn't realise until recently that he was a keen (and very good) Gaelic football player when he was younger. So he clearly has a strong connection to his Irish heritage.

I played Gaelic football from age 9 to 18. 

I am about as Irish as a stir fry.

• Like 1

I didn't realise until recently that he was a keen (and very good) Gaelic football player when he was younger. So he clearly has a strong connection to his Irish heritage.

Which team? Sorry to veer OT but I think it is a good experience for footballers to play a sport like gaelic football. Certainly an added physical dimension that helped Grealish for one 'toughen up'. 

Edited by Didiersix

Which team? Sorry to veer OT but I think it is a good experience for footballers to play a sport like gaelic football. Certainly an added physical dimension that helped Grealish for one 'toughen up'. 

St Chads mostly and then went to James Connollys when Chads folded . 

This was back in the 90's mind you. 

Yeah I suppose the dearth in quality means the Irish meeja's M.O. is to find the next young thing rather than report on the shite that's currently there.  I'm not bothered about him declaring for England from a Villa point of view, other than the fact that as soon as a Villa player becomes an England international, he leaves Villa soon afterwards.  Reading between his agent's lines, that's pretty much the direction he's going to be pushed in too.

From an Irish point of view it's a huge shame for us as he's a fabulous talent.  I hope he does well for England because I don't want to see him be a bit part player for them getting 10 caps in his career.  He's probably good enough to make it but you never know.  He's up against a big pool of talent and you never know when the next Beckham is coming through the ranks to make a position (maybe your position) his own for the next decade.

At Ireland he knew he'd get >100 caps.  He'd be a legend and he'd probably be good enough to be the difference every now and again between a side that qualifies for a finals and the side that doesn't.  At England he won't be a legend.  They will qualify for everything.  He just has to hope he's on that plane each time.

Either way, that agent is right.  Being an England international is a much more bankable claim to be putting on your CV. ££££

If he lives up to his potential and plays for England then Villa are quids in, everyone is a winner in that situation

Except the Villa fans, no quids go into their pockets, and they lose a wonderful player.

I agree but the media here is saying he will choose England because of his agent but if Roy gave him a **** you then I cant imagine his agent be that happy to convince him pick England except about the pound signs

I go to all Ireland home and away games and have done for years now and all I can say is if he chooses England best of luck to the lad.

Having dual nationality is no doubt a really tricky scenario for any lad of 19 and he was dead right to bide his time and make the choice he feels is the right one.

So many journos and Ireland/England fans criticising him for not deciding sooner but not one of them have had the same dilemma.

Sure we got Clark for Ireland after he had captained the England under 20s.

Swings and roundabouts. All the best Jack... UTV

Dublin haven't played away from Croke Park in years. ;)

• Like 1

I was told a few months ago that Jack was mulling over the countries because of money. England pay and Ireland don't. I can't be 100% sure but, iirc, the person who told me said that it was Jack's dad suggesting that he plays for England because they will pay him. But, like I said, I'm not certain of that as a I was drinking with the person who told me and could possibly have misheard. 

I know if it was my son I would tell him to follow the money and think of his financial stability. Only at national level though. He would follow his heart at club level. 

Edited by villarocker

I was told a few months ago that Jack was mulling over the countries because of money. England pay and Ireland don't. I can't be 100% sure but, iirc, the person who told me said that it was Jack's dad suggesting that he plays for England because they will pay him. But, like I said, I'm not certain of that as a I was drinking with the person who told me and could possibly have misheard. 

I know if it was my son I would tell him to follow the money and think of his financial stability. Only at national level though. He would follow his heart at club level. 

Financial stability? He's probably already earned more than I have in my working life.

• Like 1

Except the Villa fans, no quids go into their pockets, and they lose a wonderful player.

It's how the club has to be run. We don't generate the revenue of Arsenal and United,  we don't have a wealthy owner like Chelsea or City and we never will. Sadly if talented players like Jack and Traore etc want to fulfil their massive potentials then Villa Park is not the place 

• Like 1

England might pay but it wont be anything near his club salary

• Like 1

I thought England players got paid a match fee from the 5 sponsors, about £2k from each but this fee is more often than not donated to charity

Then add in the sponsorship opportunities etc I'd guess that if he became a regular for England it'd be worth around £150-200k a year to him

It's how the club has to be run. We don't generate the revenue of Arsenal and United,  we don't have a wealthy owner like Chelsea or City and we never will. Sadly if talented players like Jack and Traore etc want to fulfil their massive potentials then Villa Park is not the place 

I agree. I was just pointing out that the fans are not winners in this scenario.

Â