The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I hate the England team but at least it means he'll probably get called up less and therefore less chance of injury. Also he is actually technically English anyway. ;)

To be honest, I think his nationality in footballing terms is really about who he feels happiest representing...

Cool, does that mean I can represent the Cook Islands if I feel happiest representing them? I'm probably good enough to make their squad too... ;)

Thrilled if he picks England. If he will become as good as we think, he'll be bought by someone no matter which nation he plays for. Remember he's still a home grown player regardless of his nationality. 

I'm a big England fan so I hope he picks us as he's one of the most talented players in the country. The fact it will piss off that that O'Neill just puts the icing on the cake. 

On talksport they mentioned him. They think he is waiting on whether Ireland qualify and if so will go with them. Obviously they are just making this up, but it would be annoying that's the reason he will choose his nationality.

If Ireland qualify and he then declares I hope we don't bring him to the world cup. I don't care if he's good enough it's not fair on the players who played all through qualification to have him come in at the last minute only because we qualify. He either declares before the end of qualification or doesn't go.

Would that be the World Cup that excludes all the teams outside of Europe?

You're correct. I mean the Euros

Choosing England according to independent. Can't say I'm surprised. At least his value will sky rocket when the impending transfer request comes!

Please make it stop.

Help yourself to speculating about other players, but please leave Jack Grealish alone ffs. He's grown up at Villa, his family are Villa through and through. He's notorious for living and breathing Aston Villa. Maybe one day the years of speculation will wear him out like they did Dwight Yorke, but for now I'd imagine he's a very happy Villan. Way too early for Sale-by-Internet-Messageboard.

I'd heard the same about his allegiance to Ireland so I'll not get too excited about him being Villa through and through. His agent is supposedly advising him on the decision to switch to England which says to me that it is entirely financially motivated. Have lost the 'one of our own' appreciation I had for Jack unfortunately. 

On talksport they mentioned him. They think he is waiting on whether Ireland qualify and if so will go with them. Obviously they are just making this up, but it would be annoying that's the reason he will choose his nationality.

If Ireland qualify and he then declares I hope we don't bring him to the world cup. I don't care if he's good enough it's not fair on the players who played all through qualification to have him come in at the last minute only because we qualify. He either declares before the end of qualification or doesn't go.

Would that be the World Cup that excludes all the teams outside of Europe?

You're correct. I mean the Euros

I would agree if it was a case that he was taking the place of a first teamer i.e. someone who "played all through qualification".  But he'd far more likely take up the place of a bit parter/fringe player who hardly played if at all, leaving the first teamers intact.  So all he would do is (vastly) strengthen the peripheral squad and; if good enough; muscle his way into the frame.  Which is fair enough IMHO.

I can see where you're coming from with that but I think it's more of a natural coming of age thing rather than a purposeful delay in declaring, when the qualifying started he wasn't ready to play for either first team, maybe the Scotland game in June would have been his first chance? Couldn't have played in these because he's injured

So really even if he'd have declared for Ireland from day one he'd still only played 3 qualifiers at best, if he goes on to have a great year this year and make the squad I don't think you can argue that point fairly

O'Neill is a horribly stubborn manager too.  As good as Grealish is, there is absolutely no guarantee O'Neill would have picked him for the games. Certainly not the Scotland game where O'Neill said himself that he thought maybe Jack wouldn't have been ready for the pressure - only for Jack to run the show against Liverpool at Wembley a few days later (or was it before ... but either way, Jack was ready).

TBH the amount of column inches (ooo errr) he gets in Ireland for someone who has played relatively little for his club, I'm not surprised other Irish (non-Villa) football fans are pissed off hearing about him.  There's a story nearly every day about him.  I obviously like it but I do find it curious that he has captured the meeja's imagination to the extent that he has.  If I was a fan of another club, at this stage I probably would be asking "what the f**k has the lad actually done to warrant this kind of hype".

• Like 1

I agree but the Irish media have been terrible, he said last September he would decide this September yet was articles for months on end about him

Shows media here are desperate for us to have a breakout player. Patrick Bamford will be the next on their firing line or that lad Crowley

Yeah I suppose the dearth in quality means the Irish meeja's M.O. is to find the next young thing rather than report on the shite that's currently there.  I'm not bothered about him declaring for England from a Villa point of view, other than the fact that as soon as a Villa player becomes an England international, he leaves Villa soon afterwards.  Reading between his agent's lines, that's pretty much the direction he's going to be pushed in too.

From an Irish point of view it's a huge shame for us as he's a fabulous talent.  I hope he does well for England because I don't want to see him be a bit part player for them getting 10 caps in his career.  He's probably good enough to make it but you never know.  He's up against a big pool of talent and you never know when the next Beckham is coming through the ranks to make a position (maybe your position) his own for the next decade.

At Ireland he knew he'd get >100 caps.  He'd be a legend and he'd probably be good enough to be the difference every now and again between a side that qualifies for a finals and the side that doesn't.  At England he won't be a legend.  They will qualify for everything.  He just has to hope he's on that plane each time.

Either way, that agent is right.  Being an England international is a much more bankable claim to be putting on your CV. ££££

• Like 1

Yeah I suppose the dearth in quality means the Irish meeja's M.O. is to find the next young thing rather than report on the shite that's currently there.  I'm not bothered about him declaring for England from a Villa point of view, other than the fact that as soon as a Villa player becomes an England international, he leaves Villa soon afterwards.  Reading between his agent's lines, that's pretty much the direction he's going to be pushed in too.

From an Irish point of view it's a huge shame for us as he's a fabulous talent.  I hope he does well for England because I don't want to see him be a bit part player for them getting 10 caps in his career.  He's probably good enough to make it but you never know.  He's up against a big pool of talent and you never know when the next Beckham is coming through the ranks to make a position (maybe your position) his own for the next decade.

At Ireland he knew he'd get >100 caps.  He'd be a legend and he'd probably be good enough to be the difference every now and again between a side that qualifies for a finals and the side that doesn't.  At England he won't be a legend.  They will qualify for everything.  He just has to hope he's on that plane each time.

Either way, that agent is right.  Being an England international is a much more bankable claim to be putting on your CV. ££££

I'm afraid that's how I see it too. 

I go to all Ireland home and away games and have done for years now and all I can say is if he chooses England best of luck to the lad.

Having dual nationality is no doubt a really tricky scenario for any lad of 19 and he was dead right to bide his time and make the choice he feels is the right one.

So many journos and Ireland/England fans criticising him for not deciding sooner but not one of them have had the same dilemma.

Sure we got Clark for Ireland after he had captained the England under 20s.

Swings and roundabouts. All the best Jack... UTV

His agent should really be shot for the whole speaking about the money to be made by choosing England over Ireland, just makes jack look like a mercenary  

If I was a player I'd make sure my agent knew never to speak to the media without my permission. Poor Jack is probably too young to understand the mistakes he has made with this "choosing" of an international team.

Â