The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not bollocks, but I think it does him a disservice.

Yes it might be a reason why they bought him instead of a different player. But I don't think they're going and spending £100m JUST to grow their fan base.

They're spending £100m because he's a verging on world class player (on last season's evidence). Other Premier League players of his standard would cost the same, if not more.

It might be the reason they're buying him and not a different £100m player.

If you see the past quotes from Pep and Txiki about his style of play, it tells you all you need to know. Yet people think they know better and continuously say he's been brought for marketing reasons 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

If you look at Man City's signings since their takeover apart from Robinho, whilst spending a lot of money they haven't really gone for galectico types or celebrity style footballers, it hasn't really been their style. They signed Grealish because he was one of the best if not the best player in his position in the premier league over the last two seasons.

I haven't seen much of him for them, but reading the comments of Villa fans reminds me of the comments you'd read from oppostion fans when he played for us, that is people desperately trying to play down how good he is, he might not be the next Messi exactly, but must be doing something right to be playing most games for a team top of the league and to be playing in the Champions League for them too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, useless said:

If you look at Man City's signings since their takeover apart from Robinho, whilst spending a lot of money they haven't really gone for galectico types or celebrity style footballers, it hasn't really been their style. They signed Grealish because he was one of the best if not the best player in his position in the premier league over the last two seasons.

I haven't seen much of him for them, but reading the comments of Villa fans reminds me of the comments you'd read from oppostion fans when he played for us, that is people desperately trying to play down how good he is, he might not be the next Messi exactly, but must be doing something right to be playing most games for a team top of the league and to be playing in the Champions League for them too.

He has dropped a lot from last season and Pep even dropped him for the derby. He is nowhere near the player that was here and is no longer risk taker. 

He rarely dribbles anymore, had gone from 2.5 a game at Villa to 1.3 at City. His key passes and fouls have gone down but his offsides are up

• Like 2

He's played half the amount of minute that he played last season, in terms of minutes on the pitch this season he's played under fourteen games worth of football. players take time to settle at new clubs as we're seeing with Buendia, Bailey and have done so with others in the past, and it's not even as if Grealish is doing badly. When the time is right we'll sign him back, which I think was always part of his masterplan - he reluctanlty left believing that we'd be better off with £100m to spend and hoping he could return one day - but for now he's a Man City player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

He moved for the money and hopes he doesn't have to play too often to earn it too, hes always been part time.

I kind of understand the motivation of money, especially when you can set up all of your family for life but he certainly didn’t move for our benefit.  

• Like 1

He’s still the same player, you see it in bursts when he gets the players back-pedalling and tripping over themselves but it happens so rarely with the way City play.

They don’t want a player who is going to monopolise the ball and slow down play, maybe he’ll adapt but can’t help but think he’ll then lose what set him apart. Such an unnecessary signing for them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

He has dropped a lot from last season and Pep even dropped him for the derby. He is nowhere near the player that was here and is no longer risk taker. 

He rarely dribbles anymore, had gone from 2.5 a game at Villa to 1.3 at City. His key passes and fouls have gone down but his offsides are up

Agreed! I don't get what is so hard to understand, I haven't commented because I'll get labelled a Jack hater.

He isn't the player at Citeh because they will never utilise the quality that made him so good. Carrying the ball.

I'm not saying he'll be a flop (though he well might be) but you will never see the Villa Jack at Citeh. 

You will see a boring and restrained version of it.

Now if he's happy to get paid handsomely and win trophies to never do what he's good at, then with no bitterness I wish him well.

I really like the upside of not having him in our team, whenever he was injured we were crap. Now we're learning to play as a proper team.

UTV

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Agreed! I don't get what is so hard to understand, I haven't commented because I'll get labelled a Jack hater.

He isn't the player at Citeh because they will never utilise the quality that made him so good. Carrying the ball.

I'm not saying he'll be a flop (though he well might be) but you will never see the Villa Jack at Citeh. 

You will see a boring and restrained version of it.

Now if he's happy to get paid handsomely and win trophies to never do what he's good at, then with no bitterness I wish him well.

I really like the upside of not having him in our team, whenever he was injured we were crap. Now we're learning to play as a proper team.

UTV

I was so excited to see what he could do with Buendia and Bailey but alas. We would have been so exciting to watch with Jack at the peak of his powers and in his element. I wonder how much players have the desire to entertain. It seems like winning trophies is the endgame and everything else is secondary.  

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I was so excited to see what he could do with Buendia and Bailey but alas. We would have been so exciting to watch with Jack at the peak of his powers and in his element. I wonder how much players have the desire to entertain. It seems like winning trophies is the endgame and everything else is secondary.  

He wasn't the first person to sell his soul for the dollar, and in this world he definitely won't be last. 

Why is it an either or question on why they signed him? Is it possible that they wanted to sign a fantastic player who they thought would create and score goals for them, but one that also provides them with a big growth in marketability, who will increase their fan base with younger kids and who might provide the international star/brand that they've been missing for years? If you add those things together then £100m doesn't seem ridiculous in today's market. 

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them try and sign Bellingham in the near future. 

Â