The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, Villa87 said:

He has been very good and I am sure he will go on to prove what a player he is. Not sure I’d describe his first half last night as great. He was poor throughout for me. 

I thought first half he was great. Lots of Man City's attacks went through him, he created a fair bit, made some strong runs. He was key in the build up to the chance that Bernardo missed for example.

But yes second half he was poor. Hakimi was excellent and I think it got to Jack

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought first half he was great. Lots of Man City's attacks went through him, he created a fair bit, made some strong runs. He was key in the build up to the chance that Bernardo missed for example.

But yes second half he was poor. Hakimi was excellent and I think it got to Jack

We’ve seen that before - notably against West Ham. He can really be nullified if he sticks to the touch line and doesn’t drift inside. 

1 minute ago, Villa87 said:

We’ve seen that before - notably against West Ham. He can really be nullified if he sticks to the touch line and doesn’t drift inside. 

PSG doubled up on him as well which is something I didn't think would happen at City given the other dangerous players they have.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

People are talking like he's finished because he was poor for about 25 minutes last night.

He was great first half. And he's been very very good for City this season.

I don’t think he’s finished, far from it. But it was never going to be simple or straight forward, he’s playing with world class players now. And against them in the Champions League.

On a personal note it was nice to see him on the pitch with Messi, moments like that we wouldn’t be able to give him. 

I'm seeing a lot of City fans frustrated with his output, they're used to Mahrez, Sterling, Foden regularly being goal threats. I don't think Jack is that or ever will be that and is more of a luxury in a side like Citys. Jack is a world class player but I'm still wondering if it was the best signing by Pep considering the fee involved. 

Everything Man City do feels too slow to get the best out of Grealish imo. He'll still be brilliant for them though. I felt like he needed to go roaming and looking for the ball yesterday but he didn't for whatever reason. Reminded me of when we played West Ham last season and they marked him out the game. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

PSG doubled up on him as well which is something I didn't think would happen at City given the other dangerous players they have.

I don’t think they doubled up in him at all. It just appeared that way because they got everyone behind the ball when City had it. He really didn’t get any special attention, he just came up against a very good right back and couldn’t handle it.

Listen I love Jack for what he did for us and would never begrudge him for moving to City. But now being able to watch and judge without bias is quite refreshing. 

8 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

I don’t think he’s finished, far from it. But it was never going to be simple or straight forward, he’s playing with world class players now. And against them in the Champions League.

On a personal note it was nice to see him on the pitch with Messi, moments like that we wouldn’t be able to give him. 

You’re right…

He never played a “4 out of 10” when he was with us…

We were never able to give that to him…

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think they doubled up in him at all. It just appeared that way because they got everyone behind the ball when City had it. He really didn’t get any special attention, he just came up against a very good right back and couldn’t handle it.

They absolutely did double up on him. Even the commentators were mentioning it

He was doubled-up occasionally when they had the numbers back, but it didn't happen everytime.

It makes me wonder what our response will be when Villa play them, we know his strengths and weaknesses and have seen how teams can get the better of him.

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They doubled up on both flanks. The way they played meant a midfielder supported the full backs whenever possible. It wasn’t special attention for Jack in my opinion. 

I didn't say it was. Just pointing out that he was doubled up on

Only caught the first half and thought he did nothing special (sounds like second half he was worse). Of course playing wide of a front three then he is going to be at the heart of many attacks, goes without saying but he looks too rigid for me out on that left flank.

At Villa he was given a license to roam and that's when he is at his best. He's obviously class so he will still not look out of place in this team but if I was a City fan I'd be expecting/wanting a lot more.

It's early days though. 

He’s an outstanding player and will have huge success there - everyone has games where they’re not at their best - he had a few of them for us too.

For me, the key thing is that at Man City, he fits into the system whereas at Villa the system fitted around him. He doesn’t quite have the same remit there, and that takes away that bit of the maverick edge in him. I can’t see him going on one of those barnstorming runs like he did at home to Leeds for example, and to that extent it feels a bit like a super car with a speed limiter fitted. Nonetheless he’s one of their best players and will win trophies there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Everything Man City do feels too slow to get the best out of Grealish imo. 

Really? I'm not sure there's another player in that team that slows the ball down the way Grealish often does.

Edited by Davkaus

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

City's style of play seems a bit too regimented to allow for the maverick Grealish that we enjoyed.

Yep Pep is everything by the book and everybody knows the role. Its boring to watch 

Sad to see Jack have his style taken from him 

Â