The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Only by the time his addons kick in,  and I very much doubt they have at this stage. I think we started at 33m.

Also, Diaby is 24 with his best years ahead of him,  and seems to be in bad form (having shown he is more than capable earlier in the season).

Grealish will be 29, with his best years behind him and a lifestyle that suggests his flame will burn out rather than explode to life in his 30s. Grealish that left us...100% I'd take him over Diaby.  The one that is 3 years older and seemingly no wiser.... nope.

Thank you. We got the best years out of Jack and should be thankful for it. No need to go back. Plus, can't see Jack doing the hard work that Unai requires of all his field players. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I'm imagining the expression on Jack's face as he sits through a detailed 90 minute tactical presentation....

A footballing encyclopaedia... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I'm imagining the expression on Jack's face as he sits through a detailed 90 minute tactical presentation....

I think the guy is thick as mince, but I would imagine if he understands one thing very well it's football tactics. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Put aside the Villa love-in for a second. He would upset the ethos in the squad, he is unprofessional (which I don’t think can be said of any of our current professional and hard working squad), we don’t need his antics or the negative press, we are progressing without him, he would demand special treatment that he (1) doesn’t deserve and (2) would enrage other more deserving players, and I just wouldn’t want a team built around him again.

So much to unpack here!

1. Why would he upset the ethos? That hasn't happened at villa or city.

2. No one has ever questioned his on pitch professionalism -- he is always in great shape. 

3. I think the press sort of see him as old news now, but sure. Has he done anything worth attention since his first title almost 3 years ago?

4. We are also progressing without Mbappe, Rodri and Vinicius Jr. 

5. What type of special treatment are you talking about? Own seat at cafeteria? 

6. Have you spoken with Mcginn and know that the team would be outraged?

7. Why would we build a team around him? Is Villa's team built on one player?

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want him at Villa, but so much unfounded criticism does annoy me a little. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

They love signing high profile English players. 

Do they? Bellingham is the first English player since 2007 and have Vini and maybe Mbappe for same position

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

So much to unpack here!

2. No one has ever questioned his on pitch professionalism -- he is always in great shape. 

3. I think the press sort of see him as old news now, but sure. Has he done anything worth attention since his first title almost 3 years ago?

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want him at Villa, but so much unfounded criticism does annoy me a little. 

No. 6 am sure was rumblings at the time that some players were happy he left 

No.7 maybe he thinks he will come back and get the same treatment he did before under Smith

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

So much to unpack here!

It's just literally lies lol

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It would be nice if when people say “Of course we’d have him back” or similar, they’d give some indication as to how much they’d realistically want Villa to pay. 

Would I want us to buy him for £75m and make him our top earner by a clear distance. Nah.

Would I want him back for £25m and on wages that are roughly in line with the current salaries. Yes.

I know in reality it would be somewhere in between, but this notion of getting him back…the fee would be a rather important factor in making my mind up either way in this hypothetical situation.

For what it’s worth, I think the club and Grealish have moved on. I don’t see him returning and that’s ok.

Money is probably what would stop it from ever happening (or happening in the near future).

The people saying "of course we'd have him back" are talking about the hypothetical situation of us wanting to sign him. There's people in this thread claiming they wouldn't have him back or Emery wouldn't even consider him.

In my opinion that's complete bollocks. Emery would obviously "consider" him, and the vast majority of fans would welcome him back with open arms.

That doesn't mean I think it will happen. I don't think it will, mainly because of money.

20 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Pep's such a genius that he bought the best winger in the league at the time, coached all of the excitement out of him, then bought another winger who is allowed complete freedom to play, whilst tanking Grealish's value.

While winning the treble

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No. 6 am sure was rumblings at the time that some players were happy he left 

No.7 maybe he thinks he will come back and get the same treatment he did before under Smith

Any evidence for either of these?

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

While winning the treble

Yeah there's no doubt he's exceptionally effective overall but his philosophy with Grealish was bizarre. He basically spent his first season as foil for Cancelo.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Any evidence for either of these?

Was mentioned in a few podcasts either just after he left or on his first return with City. No players were mentioned but people speculated on here at the time who it could have been

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah there's no doubt he's exceptionally effective overall but his philosophy with Grealish was bizarre. He basically spent his first season as foil for Cancelo.

I think he's just in the fortunate position of working for a club that has the finances (legal or not) where he can find what works best for him, rather than what works best for his squad, if that makes sense.

Most other clubs would be forced to get the best out of a £100m signing. Pep has the luxury of knowing he can use him as backup as he is this season and he has any number of world class players he can use instead.

I'm sure Pep could use Grealish better if he had to. But unfortunately he doesn't.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Was mentioned in a few podcasts either just after he left or on his first return with City. No players were mentioned but people speculated on here at the time who it could have been

I don't remember any of this whatsoever. I'd be interested if you could find some examples

I think there isn’t really a question of would you have him back, everyone would if you took out the bias. Grealish would solve any issues we have on the left hand side and be one of the best players in our side.

The problems come in price and salary.

If we have a budget of £60-70 million next season, which is roughly the cost for Grealish, would you be happy spending it all on him? That would be no other investment in other areas.

Realistically it would require a player sale without a like for like replacement. Would we be happy selling Kamara for Grealish? Or selling Luiz for Grealish? Or Martinez for Grealish?

I wouldn’t, it would disrupt the core of the team too much, a core we’ve just started building and seeing the benefits from.

Would you sell Ramsey to finance Grealish? That questions a bit tougher, as it’s local youth for local experience.

• Like 1

If he ends up back here something will have gone badly wrong here.

He is on the down we are on the up.

And his off the field antics are absolute peek cringe. 

Maybe it's my age but I wish Villa fans would just forget about him the way he forgot about us.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If he ends up back here something will have gone badly wrong here.

He is on the down we are on the up.

And his off the field antics are absolute peek cringe. 

Maybe it's my age but I wish Villa fans would just forget about him the way he forgot about us.

He’d just have to be considered like any other player.

Is he interested in coming to us?

How much does he want?

Can we afford it?

Is he better than what we have already?

• Like 2

Â