The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

8 hours ago, supermon said:

This past season, was he a better player at City than during his pomp at Aston Villa?

I feel like he was a better player with Villa, his performances were almost always man of the match n single handedly dragged the team. Had Pep really got the best out of him? What he has done is get him playing good football on the left but he is no way as influential as he was at Villa 

I think he's still the same player.  There was that one run where he glided past the defender into the edge of the box that showed it.  The problem was the City system didn't really allow him to do it until Cancelo left and even now he doesn't have as much licence as with us.  It's not surprising when at City he has better players around him to share the load.

I reckon if you were to ask most non Villa fans would they take Mitoma or Grealish they would say Mitoma at the moment. Hes not being the exciting player he was at Villa. 

Pep demands certain things from players and Grealish is now doing what hes told, its what Southgate uses as his excuse. Hes a better team player than he was but hes lost so much due to it and I think the teams he plays for have lost so much because of it. Amazing to say when his team just won the treble. 

On his celebrations, by all means get smashed but I think hes making a fool of himself. 

• Like 2

He's one of my favorite players in recent history and I don't begrudge him that City move and winning the league and CL. We got paid.

I honestly worry about him once his career is over. Grealish and free time feels like a horrible combination. Really hope he doesn't become a Gascoigne figure.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Anyone else a little bit worried he’s going to  go the same way as George Best and Gazza after he retires?

Nah, he's a binger, I'm sure most of us have been on many benders like him multiple times.

Players like Gazza and Best were full on alcoholics, drinking constantly throughout their playing careers as the game allowed back then.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Nah, he's a binger, I'm sure most of us have been on many benders like him multiple times.

Players like Gazza and Best were full on alcoholics, drinking constantly throughout their playing careers as the game allowed back then.

I’m not sure, and we won’t know. He doesn’t seem to be able to differentiate between getting drunk at a party and getting absolutely wasted… and he’s a professional athlete with his colleagues/management.

The big problems will occur 10+ years down the line when people aren’t queuing up to give you contracts and you aren’t the main man, then gwtting worse into retirement. 

The signs are there already he lacks some self control. I hope not, but I worry he’ll be a mess later in his life.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Sure have but Ive never been asked if I needed a wheelchair 😂

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Anyone else a little bit worried he’s going to  go the same way as George Best and Gazza after he retires?

It’s certainly more on the self destructive side of alcohol intake and he’s surrounded by enablers. I loathe to comment on Grealish. However, the “laddish” nonsense that takes it to unhealthy levels isn’t going to be easy on his body the older he gets. His public intoxication is at levels we saw when younger. I don’t find any of it funny. Nobody begrudges him or his team mates celebrating. But there’s just levels and none of which should be encouraged. Especially when he associates himself closely with such awful people like Kyle Walker. Again, not our problem thankfully. 

8 hours ago, supermon said:

This past season, was he a better player at City than during his pomp at Aston Villa?

I feel like he was a better player with Villa, his performances were almost always man of the match n single handedly dragged the team. Had Pep really got the best out of him? What he has done is get him playing good football on the left but he is no way as influential as he was at Villa 

Is that not to the fact everything went through him at Villa? So he would stand out more.

At Citeh they don’t need to be reliant on one player and he is a cog in a very well oiled machine.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s certainly more on the self destructive side of alcohol intake and he’s surrounded by enablers. I loathe to comment on Grealish. However, the “laddish” nonsense that takes it to unhealthy levels isn’t going to be easy on his body the older he gets. His public intoxication is at levels we saw when younger. I don’t find any of it funny. Nobody begrudges him or his team mates celebrating. But there’s just levels and none of which should be encouraged. Especially when he associates himself closely with such awful people like Kyle Walker. Again, not our problem thankfully. 

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m not sure, and we won’t know. He doesn’t seem to be able to differentiate between getting drunk at a party and getting absolutely wasted… and he’s a professional athlete with his colleagues/management.

The big problems will occur 10+ years down the line when people aren’t queuing up to give you contracts and you aren’t the main man, then gwtting worse into retirement. 

The signs are there already he lacks some self control. I hope not, but I worry he’ll be a mess later in his life.

Both posts spot on. I don't think we begrudge anyone having a good time, but there need to be limits and Jack has showed time and time again that he lacks self control. 

That Jack is different -- his honesty etc -- is the double-edged sword that will be his downfall: atm, he is so captivating for media and to the fans: the lad who is just like us and behaves like us but then is an utter superstar footballer. In ten years, it won't wear so well and the world will suddenly start to close in. 

While people on Twitter think it's funny, Jack is an anachronism: a throwback to the heady days of heavy drinking and partying footballers, but in a time when the media spotlight, money and expectations are far higher. More than that, the place of drinking in our society has changed: who tf thinks this sh*t is cool now? I don't get it. 

None of this ends well. I hope we as Villa fans care for him a little more than the leeches at Citeh, whatever we think of his transfer, and see how vulnerable he is.

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 2

Jack should speak to the likes of Rooney about the dangers of binge drinking and dealing with the pressures of success 

Rooney said

“It was like a binge. Normally, that’s with a group of lads but this was a self-binge … I would sit in the house and for two days I would just drink.

“People might know that I liked a drink at times or went out, but there was a lot more to it than just that. It was what was going on in my head. It was just a buildup of everything ... pressure of playing for your country, for United, some of the stuff which came out in the newspapers about my personal life, just trying to deal with all that pressure which builds up.”

1 hour ago, sne said:

I don't begrudge him that City move and winning the league and CL. We got paid.

Speaking of (and apologies if garbage-receptacle-Irish-defender), do we reckon we've bagged a little extra cash from the deal with him having gone on to win the CL?  It's the kind of (not Steve) Brucie Bonus clause I'd like to think we'd have been able to pop in there..

• Like 3

Just now, GarethRDR said:

Speaking of (and apologies if garbage-receptacle-Irish-defender), do we reckon we've bagged a little extra cash from the deal with him having gone on to win the CL?  It's the kind of (not Steve) Brucie Bonus clause I'd like to think we'd have been able to pop in there..

Yeah that seems very likely. Would have been stupid if there isn't one of those clauses in the deal. Hope so.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah that seems very likely. Would have been stupid if there isn't one of those clauses in the deal. Hope so.

It was a buyout clause straight 100m not going to add any extra on that I am afraid that's not how it works.

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

No. This shouldn’t be celebrated or encouraged. Binge drinking is very bad. 

I’m surprised City are allowing it tbh. At least with the Rooney post above he was doing it at home out of the glare of the media.

I doubt the City owners want to be associated with such behaviour.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m surprised City are allowing it tbh. At least with the Rooney post above he was doing it at home out of the glare of the media.

I doubt the City owners want to be associated with such behaviour.

It’s quite telling how much criticism he faced before for his binge drinking here, but when it’s City, the Sun and others find it “hilarious”. Jack’s not young nor had just a few drinks. It’s clearly much worse. Jack isn’t some puppet for people’s entertainment either. It’s just a vicious circle and I wonder if part of it his him playing up for the cameras or the bad influences around him encouraging the worst aspects of himself. 

• Like 3

Â