The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

West Ham showed how to mark Jack out of the game on the left. Moved to the middle and they couldn't cope with him. Completely flies in the face of the logic of him being crowded out in the middle that dominated the discourse this week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

At times there were three players on Grealish when he received the ball.

Did they really play two players to 'man-mark' him? I don't think I've ever seen that before!

It was really just Coufal following him around like a shadow. Didn't give him a moment's respite. Was snapping at his heels all game. Moves to the middle, starts drifting to the right and suddenly he has acres of space because evidently they didn't plan for that.

• Like 1

Well... he looked better when he wasn't on the left, arguably down to the fact West ham's left hand side hadn't been setup to defend against him.  But goes to show if he's free to move between wings, he'll pick the best route when given the chance. 

Barkley keeping up his recent poor run of performances. Has to be dropped next game and we have to try jack in the middle. Traore right, AEG left. If it's not working, switch it up,  and dont wait until the 70th minute before you change player positions when you're losing and getting overrun. 

Lessons to be learnt tonight, including the fact Grealish may just be better in the middle. Until proven otherwise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Lessons to be learnt tonight, including the fact Grealish may just be better in the middle. Until proven otherwise. 

What? Best player is better in position where he gets ball more? Why haven't we seen something like this before say with someone like Messi. He was definitely best as a RW not being the single best CF ever to play. 

I cannot comprehend how someone can come out of this game tonight and still think Jack's best position is LW. He moves into the centre. We score a goal and create 2 other good chances for watkins in 5 minutes. Yes they sofrsd their 3rd and that killed the game but we were creating chances as soon as he moved to the centre. 

46 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I cannot comprehend how someone can come out of this game tonight and still think Jack's best position is LW. He moves into the centre. We score a goal and create 2 other good chances for watkins in 5 minutes. Yes they sofrsd their 3rd and that killed the game but we were creating chances as soon as he moved to the centre. 

In a one off game,  when the right back was having his game of the season, and was supported by another dedicated right sided dm, its no surprise Jack was better when he moved to a different position.... I agree with the idea behind your theory, but understand that people will need to see more than one game where this happens to get on board with it.

It is still a theory, and needs more time and more evidence to be proven, but tonight was a good sign. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I think he’s at his best when he can move where ever he wants the left side of the pitch was a closed shop tonight but the goal he assisted came from him on the opposite flank so......

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I think he’s at his best when he can move where ever he wants the left side of the pitch was a closed shop tonight but the goal he assisted came from him on the opposite flank so......

It came from the opposite flank because he was moved to the 10 role so he can go where the space and the ball is. I don't understand why that is hard for some to comprehend. Giving jack more of the ball means he is better and we as a team see better. 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It was really just Coufal following him around like a shadow. Didn't give him a moment's respite. Was snapping at his heels all game. Moves to the middle, starts drifting to the right and suddenly he has acres of space because evidently they didn't plan for that.

Coufal was brilliant. Harassing and bullying all game. Something none of our players had in their locker tonight. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

It came from the opposite flank because he was moved to the 10 role so he can go where the space and the ball is. I don't understand why that is hard for some to comprehend. Giving jack more of the ball means he is better and we as a team see better. 

He’s been great where ever he’s played this season , I don’t understand why it’s hard to comprehend for some that we have had a great season so far!

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

He’s been great where ever he’s played this season , I don’t understand why it’s hard to comprehend for some that we have had a great season so far!

We have had a great season so far. But we can be better. I don't think Barkley will help us with that. And Smiths tactical inflexibility within games will need to be fixed. We don't adjust to subs or changes in styles of play midgame. I had hoped Shakespeare would fix this due to his extensive experience but evidently I was wrong.

Also we and Jack have been better when he plays centrally. He creates more for others there and I think he will start scoring from there once he regularly plays there (only 10 games as a CAM so far in the prem) 

Edited by MotoMkali

Grealish is a phenomenal player and gets all the plaudits that come his way but you have to give props to Coufal. Closest ive seen to any opposing player winning his individual battle with Grealish. He was a right menace and wouldn't be deterred.

• Like 4

I don’t agree that Grealish is better centrally, he’s just as good at LW but it’s dependant on who he is up against. Last night West Ham played two full backs on that side to mark him out of the game, it was evident after 10 minutes which should have been the point where we swapped the wingers with El Ghazi moving left (he’s actually better there as well).

Barkley had a poor game so second half Traore should have come on for him moving Jack to the center.

It’s all about game management and we’ve been poor at it in a few games this season. We’re blessed with Jack being able to play anywhere across the front, but we have to make sure he’s utilised properly in a game or the whole team suffers.

• Like 2

Â