The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I actually quite like him on the left, I don't think it's where Jack wants to play as Bruce had to instruct him many times to stay wide, and it's not where I want him long term but I think it has it's advantages, and it allows us to get even more ball playing quality in the middle.

He gets the ball higher up the pitch and often in more space, he is able to open up his body and fire in passes to the front man first time and quickly, when you switch play you know his touch is going to be golden. If he had a flying full back coming up behind him, giving him license to drift inside that would be amazing..

Problem is that is where Bolasie likes to play. I still think the best role for Grealish is left forward as Hazard plays for Chelsea. 

20 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Id have Pablo Hernandez above Grealish for a start, Bolasie, Ollie Watkins, even Bradley Dack looked a better player then Grealish in that game, i dont think he is comfortably the best player in the league at all, not imo. 

I understand your point, assists to assist, but if he is playing in an offensive position, which he is meant to be then he should be doing more in the final 3rd imo, on Neves despite him being a holding midfielder, he scored more goals then Grealish last season, as did many more players who are comparative. 

Assist to assist is fine mate i really do get it, Samu Saiz is simlar as said before, he  laid on 4 chances last night where his teammate really should have scored, he was key for another goal in the buildup, statistically he got nothing, but in reality if his teammates did there jobs he could and should have had atleast 4 assists last night plus the "asisst to an assist". 

I mean i didnt say Saiz earlier but you could make a case for Saiz being a better player right now then Grealish. 

I dont doubt he is vital to you.

But, he isnt the best player in the league mate, not for me, and i think if most Villa fans took of there Claret glasses they would say the same. How can he be better then Yannick Bolasie for example? a proven Premier League player?

I dont question he has talent, but right now, yeah i do question the hype some Villa fans give him. 

Neves was a league above this league, Helder Costa, Diogo Jota, RObert Snodgrass, James Maddison, they all looked to good for this league last season, and now have gone on so far to do well in the Prem, Grealish has yet to show that level of consistency in the Championship never mind the Prem. 

I dont say things to wind people up lol to be clear, its just my opinion.

But what i will say, if you check other clubs forums last season, the players i mentioned above got huge praise from opposition fans (as did our very own Samu Saiz and PAblo Hernandez) Grealish was said to be "talented with potential, but at the moment not Premier league class".

Most oppo fans are unbiased, i always like to hear opposition fans opinions on our players, because we all get attached to certain players and to us they can do no wrong, but opposition fans dont have that sentimental connection and can look at a player unbiased in my view. 

I fully understand your point of view. 

You need to stop thinking Grealish is an attacker - he isn't.  He isn't like Hernandez or Saiz who are mainly involved in the final third.  He's almost box-to-box but certainly more focused on getting the ball forward from the middle of the park, not being in receipt of that ball.  This may be why you're not rating him as highly, especially given since all your other examples are from players down that end of the pitch - "Bolasie" (1 game at Championship level btw, who knows how he'll be after his injuries, but could be better), "Watkins", "Dack", "Jota", "Costa", "Maddison" - perhaps, because he doesn't have the stats, you think he's not as good?  As an aside, the Leeds player I've rated highest over the past season or so has been Pontus Jansson - interesting that he doesn't get a mention from you in your top Leeds players?  Has he fallen off somewhat this term?

You've highlighted Neves scoring more goals than Grealish last season - how many were free kicks or penalties?  I don't know, but Grealish doesn't tend to get involved in these as we had Snodgrass and Hourihane plus whoever on pens (Adomah?).

I like Hernandez, he's a very tidy, experienced player and looked handy at Swansea too - I understand why you'd rather have him too.  Leeds bias, eh? ;) Particularly as you're doing well.  However, it strikes me that Leeds play very well as a team.  Great pressing, working the ball well, always moving (Roofe has been a revelation); it's hard to pick a single person as to why Leeds are performing as highly as they are.  Grealish is the other end, if he's ticking we play well, if he's not we don't.  Pretty much that simple.

No claret glasses need taking off here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My opinion on Grealish borrows aspects of yours @bobzy

i think he has the ability to be comfortably the best player in the championship and if you were to do a contextless FIFA style rating point thing he would be at the top. 

But, this season in practise? Not even the best in our team. Not even top 3 IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

My opinion on Grealish borrows aspects of yours @bobzy

i think he has the ability to be comfortably the best player in the championship and if you were to do a contextless FIFA style rating point thing he would be at the top. 

But, this season in practise? Not even the best in our team. Not even top 3 IMO. 

Only McGinn even pushing him for best player so far IMO.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think he's been head and shoulders above everyone in our team this season except for maybe McGinn...and he's only about 70-80% the level he was at last season. 

Apart from Neves, he's the best player this division has ever seen and I think it's kind of weird and sad that our own fans underrate him so much. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You need to stop thinking Grealish is an attacker - he isn't.  He isn't like Hernandez or Saiz who are mainly involved in the final third.  He's almost box-to-box but certainly more focused on getting the ball forward from the middle of the park, not being in receipt of that ball.  This may be why you're not rating him as highly, especially given since all your other examples are from players down that end of the pitch - "Bolasie" (1 game at Championship level btw, who knows how he'll be after his injuries, but could be better), "Watkins", "Dack", "Jota", "Costa", "Maddison" - perhaps, because he doesn't have the stats, you think he's not as good?  As an aside, the Leeds player I've rated highest over the past season or so has been Pontus Jansson - interesting that he doesn't get a mention from you in your top Leeds players?  Has he fallen off somewhat this term?

You've highlighted Neves scoring more goals than Grealish last season - how many were free kicks or penalties?  I don't know, but Grealish doesn't tend to get involved in these as we had Snodgrass and Hourihane plus whoever on pens (Adomah?).

I like Hernandez, he's a very tidy, experienced player and looked handy at Swansea too - I understand why you'd rather have him too.  Leeds bias, eh? ;) Particularly as you're doing well.  However, it strikes me that Leeds play very well as a team.  Great pressing, working the ball well, always moving (Roofe has been a revelation); it's hard to pick a single person as to why Leeds are performing as highly as they are.  Grealish is the other end, if he's ticking we play well, if he's not we don't.  Pretty much that simple.

No claret glasses need taking off here.

Alright, i always assumed he was an attacking player, like number 10, or a winger, thats where i always assumed, thats where he appears on Sky, thats where he is described in scout reports and such. So where does he play then? lets get this debate over lol.

Jack Grealish, what is his position? 

Because at Rotherham he definitely played on the left looking at the highlights, vs Blackburn he was definitely playing behind Abraham with Jedinak holding and McGinn box to box. But from what your saying he is more like Neves then? 

And from reading here there is debate about where he plays to, shouldn't it be obvious where his best position is now?

The players i picked were comparative to Grealish based on where i assumed he played, no Jansson is ok lol, just was picking players i thought were more comparative to Grealish. 

On Neves i dont know, he scored atleast 2 in open play that i remember, fairly sure he didnt take the freekicks and pens, Douglas took the freekicks and i think Bonatini was on pens but could be wrong. 

Fair point on Pablo ?

But he was also officially the most creative player in the league last season, so it isnt entirely bias, just backed up with facts. 

Youre right, we are as a team playing very well, but i think most Leeds fans do see Pablo as the one who makes us tick like you say for you and Grealish, if we wernt  playing well last season especially it was often Pablo who would create a chance or score a goal as evidence by his most creative player thing last season. 

From reading here for the best part of 12months your performances despite your positions havent always been the best. Thats one if the main criticisms aimed at Bruce,does that mean Grealish hasnt played well? 

Edited by Cjay

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I think he's been head and shoulders above everyone in our team this season except for maybe McGinn...and he's only about 70-80% the level he was at last season. 

Apart from Neves, he's the best player this division has ever seen and I think it's kind of weird and sad that our own fans underrate him so much. 

Ryan Sessegnon says hello factoring in his potential and his age! joking aside there has been plenty of players in Championship in past as good as Grealish. I rate Jack but saying he's the best player even seen in this division is crazy!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

Ryan Sessegnon says hello factoring in his potential and his age! joking aside there has been plenty of players in Championship in past as good as Grealish. I rate Jack but saying he's the best player even seen in this division is crazy!!

I mean while they were playing in it. Plenty of players have left to the PL and became better players than Jack is now, but there aren't any I can think of bar Neves that were as good as him while playing in the division. 

No love for the all time Championship top goalscorer

Bildresultat för ross mccormack

• Haha 1

I watched the game on sky last night, and I couldn’t help but thinking that he needs a kick up the ass. He gets ‘on the ball’ a fair bit, but doesn’t really do a lot with it. 

I think he might benefit from being benched for a half or so. If he has aspirations of playing at the very top (if him being disappointed that his move to Spurs didn’t go through are true), then he needs to be starting for a championship team, else it isn’t going to happen. Hourihane was far more effective overall last night. 

Hopefully he starts delivering sooner rather than later. We need our best players right now. 

• Like 1

I mean while they were playing in it. Plenty of players have left to the PL and became better players than Jack is now, but there aren't any I can think of bar Neves that were as good as him while playing in the division. 

Ben Gibson, maddison, sess, cairney, jota, snodgrass, bolasie, abraham, mitrovic... 

That's just a few of the top of my head from the past 12 months, obviously it is all down to personal preference in how we rate players but there's no way Grealish is that good currently! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Ben Gibson, maddison, sess, cairney, jota, snodgrass, bolasie, abraham, mitrovic... 

That's just a few of the top of my head from the past 12 months, obviously it is all down to personal preference in how we rate players but there's no way Grealish is that good currently! 

Better than all of them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

No chance. Grealish has been very average this year so far.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Potentially he could be an outstanding performer but at the moment he is contributing very little that has a positive impact on the performance of the team. He has to become more effective and influence games more. It’s a good job he didn’t go to Spurs because Alli is way ahead of him and now Winks is fit he would probably find himself as third choice ignoring all the other quality midfielders they have

6 minutes ago, smg said:

Instrumental hahaha !!

the back heel for the elmo cross was so well disguised he sold 2 defenders for a hot dog buying elmo the time he needed for the cross

so yeah instrumental...

and going back to the last page, see a fair bit on social media polls about saiz being better than grealish, 1 of them spent the summer being linked with a £8m move to getafe, the other a £25m move to spurs but yeah it must be a villa fan or young english player thing 

• Like 1

Â