The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

29 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Are people now arguing amongst themselves Mason Mount and Foden are better?! That would be ironic given the mass and tedious debate last two years.🤣

So to be clear, you haven't been enjoying all the mass debating on the thread?

58 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What are people actually getting out of this thread?

I've barely been looking but since he left he's started pretty much every game for England (although that may change next month) and started every serious Man. City game in league and europe so I'd say his move is going o.k.

Are people now arguing amongst themselves Mason Mount and Foden are better?! That would be ironic given the mass and tedious debate last two years.🤣

More funny when likes of Benteke and Delph leave us and get injured or move dosen't work out and they drop down the league pretty quickly. That won't be happening with you know who.

Genuinely interested what news or debate keeps bumping this thread near top of OT.

I've probably got a different viewpoint anyway as I thank him for what he did do for us in a dark period for the club....and I really believe he'll play for us again one day.

I think it’s nice to discuss a player that was with us his whole career and was one of the most influential and talented player we’ve had in a generation if not ever. But now without claret and blue tinted glasses on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

What are people actually getting out of this thread?

I've barely been looking but since he left he's started pretty much every game for England (although that may change next month) and started every serious Man. City game in league and europe so I'd say his move is going o.k.

More funny when likes of Benteke and Delph leave us and get injured or move dosen't work out and they drop down the league pretty quickly. That won't be happening with you know who.

Genuinely interested what news or debate keeps bumping this thread near top of OT.

I've probably got a different viewpoint anyway as I thank him for what he did do for us in a dark period for the club....and I really believe he'll play for us again one day.

The best player to pull on the shirt in the last 30 years moved to the league champions for a British Record fee.

I don't know why people thought we wouldn't talk about him

• Like 3

Yes Ive always taken an interest in former Villa  greats that join other clubs like Platt and Yorke not so much Benteke or Delph who Ive never considered to be greats although Benteke did have a great first season. 

• Like 1

stating the obvious a bit here but it makes a difference him being english too

as much as we seemingly all hate watching england and southgate we do have a chance at winning something if he can get the right balance

think there's also a case of spending 5 years telling anyone who would listen that this kid is **** great and far too many people rejecting that idea (southgate included...) so it is now interesting to see him at that level, as well as this myth imo that pep will make him better with this magical system that takes a year to get used to

there's still a few reasons to watch - that said i havent seen him play since PSG when hakimi pocketed him but again thats an interest, how does he play vs the worlds most expensive RB not playing for man city? the answer was not very well but it was worth watching

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

For all that it’s worth (and that’s not much), I’d have McGrath and Yorke ahead of him.

Both “did it” for longer at the top level with us. 

not disagreeing but i'll say that the problem there is that a lot didnt actually get to watch a lot of those 2 players, i watched grealish every week either in the flesh or thanks to modern technology

i dont think i saw mcgrath play more than a handful of times because we just didnt have the exposure to it, im almost convinced i saw him more times for ireland than i did for villa

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For all that it’s worth (and that’s not much), I’d have McGrath and Yorke ahead of him.

Tbf, Yorke was only the great player we remember him as for three seasons.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yes difference is Mcgrath was finished as a footballer when he left us so there was nothing left to watch. Yorke went onto win the player of the year award at Man U and win leagues and European cup. Grealish has the chance to do the same. 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes difference is Mcgrath was finished as a footballer when he left us so there was nothing left to watch. Yorke went onto win the player of the year award at Man U and win leagues and European cup. Grealish has the chance to do the same. 

I’m talking about who was the best player for Aston Villa while they were playing for Aston Villa. Not what they did previously or would go on to do.

Grealish may very well go on and surpass what Yorke did at Man Utd. But that’s not what I’m on about.

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Tbf, Yorke was only the great player we remember him as for three seasons.

Yeah, but at the top level, those three seasons are still longer than Grealish had with us at the same level. Plus I’m naturally going to feel better disposed towards great players who have won a trophy with us.

I won’t lie, age is gonna be a factor here. I’m going to feel much more positively about great players who played for Villa when I was 10 - 15 years old, than I am about a player when I’m 35+. They meant more to me, because Villa and football probably meant more to me then.

Put it like this, if you gave me the option of magically having having one of McGrath, Yorke or Grealish in their pomp in the current Villa side… I think I’d be leaning towards one of the former two.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m talking about who was the best player for Aston Villa while they were playing for Aston Villa. Not what they did previously or would go on to do.

Grealish may very well go on and surpass what Yorke did at Man Utd. But that’s not what I’m on about.

Yeah, but at the top level, those three seasons are still longer than Grealish had with us at the same level. Plus I’m naturally going to feel better disposed towards great players who have won a trophy with us.

I won’t lie, age is gonna be a factor here. I’m going to feel much more positively about great players who played for Villa when I was 10 - 15 years old, than I am about a player when I’m 35+. They meant more to me, because Villa and football probably meant more to me then.

Put it like this, if you gave me the option of magically having having one of McGrath, Yorke or Grealish in their pomp in the current Villa side… I think I’d be leaning towards one of the former two.

Fair enough and its all down to opinions and Ive seen them all but you can't underestimate the impact Grealish had on our team. 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sterling and Jack’s stats are hardly miles apart for city this season and before you say it’s not all about stats.

YEAH BUT IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT STA... oh

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sterling has looked just as effective if not more so as Jack when played even though out of position. Liverpool game being a good example. 

Foden and Jesus on the other hand have been miles better than them both 

Sterling has had five years of Pep drilling him into their system.

I am comfortable referring to Grealish as a much much better player than Sterling, even if he isn't churning out the magic we saw here.

City will be desperate to shift Raheem off to Newcastle ASAP.

52 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Fair enough and its all down to opinions and Ive seen them all but you can't underestimate the impact Grealish had on our team. 

Of course not. But I don’t think having the opinion that he’s been perhaps the third best player for Aston Villa over the past thirty years does that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

YEAH BUT IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT STA... oh

Sterling has had five years of Pep drilling him into their system.

I am comfortable referring to Grealish as a much much better player than Sterling, even if he isn't churning out the magic we saw here.

City will be desperate to shift Raheem off to Newcastle ASAP.

Sterling will always be statistically better, if the guy accepted what his strengths are he'd get 20+ taps in a season, he'd be deadly, you can't touch his speed and movement 

But he doesn't play to his strengths... He thinks he can do what grealish, foden, silva and Mahrez can do and he simply can't, watching them all with your eyes rather than a stat sheet you can see that he's a weaker footballer, one of the weakest at city and I think he's either already declining or he's getting worse at accepting his role, he's definitley not as good as he was for them a couple of years ago

That's why I agree city will offload him first chance they get 

England need to realise it too, mad to think that a guy in this current scoring streak at international level could have the criticism aimed at him that he ruins so many of our attacks (then to think that England have 2 players scoring for fun but with that criticism...) Southgate seemingly wanting to play through him at the euros summed that clown up

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Said it in here before, Gary Shaw.

Achieved more than Grealish ever did and was a local lad.

Sure it happened 10 years before Sky bought the league, but for any Villa player to be considered better than Mr. Shaw they are going to have be be crucial in winning us the Champions League.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Said it in here before, Gary Shaw.

Achieved more than Grealish ever did and was a local lad.

Sure it happened 10 years before Sky bought the league, but for any Villa player to be considered better than Mr. Shaw they are going to have be be crucial in winning us the Champions League.

Due to age i wasn’t lucky to enough to see Shaw play, so the best player I’ve ever seen down VP was God. 

I watched God and Yorke play as a season ticket holder ......Jack was and is a more talented player Was he more affective? Maybe but from a poorer team overall, if we had been a top 6 team (as we was with God and Yorke) with Jack in it we would have pushed for the top.

What Jack did was allow us to build a team around him and then leave dropping us in the shit, he never made his mind up until the meeting with Guardiola at the restaurant.  I can't forgive him for that but suppose thats a flaw in his personality we have all seen before, impulsive.

Will Jack succeed? I'm not to sure about that tbh, he was God here, at city hes not and never will be. He will win more trophies but...... He will get less press exposure and won't be as revered in Manchester as he was in Birmingham, no where near. How will his ego cope with that? 

I wish him well ( took this long for me to be able to do that ) and hope he gets what's he's looking for but suspect he has just hit a rich vain of fools gold. UTV 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The best player to pull on the shirt in the last 30 years moved to the league champions for a British Record fee.

I don't know why people thought we wouldn't talk about him

I mean I get that...but from what I've seen it's not pages of people going on about the amazing volley he scored v Derby in the promotion season, or scoring the goal that kept us up in 19/20. Or all the fantastic performances he had start of last season especially in the 7-2 v Liverpool.

It's more people hoping he fails at Man. City and is just constantly on the bench (which dosen't look like happening anytime soon) or he dosen't win anything there (again based on their general seasons under Pep a very remote possibility). Only real talk is about how his England career continues to develop but again says it all he's suddenly become a regular starter under Southgate.

So not sure what there is to talk about as can't say I'm watching every single game he plays for Man. City, just don't really care about it. Completely different to say Delph going to Man. City and just getting injured for 80% of his time there but then that was always element of average player winning the lottery type scenario.

I do actually think he'll play for us again in 4-5 years time. If Ashley Young can return so can he and seems Barry was up to coming back here around 2013 but Lambert didn't want him so perhaps that's why I'm indifferent to it rather than booing him to the hilt when he returns in five weeks time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Jack Grealish Thread Bingo Game - collect 5 to win.

1. He is a small fish in a big pond now
2. Pep has drilled the creativity out of him
3. They should have bought a striker for that money
4. Foden has a higher ceiling
5. He is not a fan
6. How come he is not injured anymore?
7. He could have had a statue outside VP
8. (insert any player from the 80s/early 90s) was better than him
9. How come Southgate picks him for all games now?
10. Are guaranteed trophies and a gazzilion $$$ better than being a captain of your boyhood club?

Happy hunting!

Injured…..By….Ceiling…..Fan 

Got it!

Ă—
Ă—
Ă‚