The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

People are kidding themselves if they think Grealish would be a bench player at Man City, he'd be one of their best players and would be starting most weeks. They wouldn't pay whatever it would cost to buy him if they saw him just as a squad player. I feel that to suggest he'd be a bench player for them is vastly underrate him, but then again maybe people don't really believe it and are just saying it because of being desperate to come up with reasons why he shouldn't leave.

6 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

So you think it is obvious that he wants to move from regular starts, regular England slot, big money, playing for his home club to irregular starts and England slot only if he gets off the bench enough ?

Not everybody is as big a fan of "Pep" as you clearly are.

Jack knows what is happening and what is planned at Villa and I'm fairly certain he's more interested in being a part of that than sitting on the bench at Man City.

Never said it was obvious. I said it's naive to think there won't be any temptation. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

9 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

So you think it is obvious that he wants to move from regular starts, regular England slot, big money, playing for his home club to irregular starts and England slot only if he gets off the bench enough ?

Not everybody is as big a fan of "Pep" as you clearly are.

Jack knows what is happening and what is planned at Villa and I'm fairly certain he's more interested in being a part of that than sitting on the bench at Man City.

And do you genuinely believe he'd sit on the bench at City?

34 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Indeed, if he goes, dead to me. UTV

I can't comprehend this mentality. Your support of Villa and interest in football in general hinges on whether we can retain a single player? Bizarre. If we sell Jack we will buy more quality players to lineup beside Buendia, Watkins, Martinez et al. I'll sink my teeth into that while you watch darts or something? 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Am I the only person who wouldn't be that bothered if he did leave, of course it would be disappointing, he's one of the best players in the league, but I feel liks some people are acting as if he's the be all and end all, almost as if there's no Aston Villa without Jack Grealish and that we somehow can't be succesful without him; under the current ownership we will continue to improve and have a very good chance of succeeding whether he stays or not.

• Like 1

Everyone except de Bruine and Ruben Dias sits on the bench at City from time to time. Pep likes to rest and rotate which is understandable since they have a great squad and play almost 70 games a season.

Grealish however is not part of that squad.

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I can't comprehend this mentality. Your support of Villa and interest in football in general hinges on whether we can retain a single player? Bizarre.

Exactly. We've lost our best player(s) before and so will other clubs - it's how football works unless you are 1 of about 5 clubs.

Jack will have to be replaced one day regardless of whether we sell him or not. Hopefully that's not for 10/11 years.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah sure.

Every club can hold onto that hope I suppose.

We have the facilities , fan base and owners - no reason why we can’t do what Leicester did and win trophies - good recruitment will be key - they also lost mahrez, and kante but still recruited well and have been in contention for a few years - we can aim to do the same . 

There’s no way Jack is leaving this summer. This is why. His only likely destination is City.
If there is no release clause, then I do not think we sell at any value. If there is a release clause, you would have to assume that it is at least £100m. City are not paying £100m for another attacking midfielder when they so desperately need a striker.
It is not happening. Lump your money on him staying at Villa. It’s free money people!

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We're not catching City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd in 3 seasons time.

Their squads are lightyears ahead of us and most of them have elite managers.

City & Chelsea are very big asks, but Liverpool & Utd could be done over in that time period. I reckon the league itself and the blatant bias in officiating are a bigger obstacle to breaking the top 4 than the actual opposing teams. 

From our current baseline adding 2-3 top class players per season for 3 seasons will have us in the mix for top 4 and consistently in European competitions. I’d put our management team up against anyone in the league, the key variable is recruitment and that’s in our own hands. 

• Like 1

Still, I won't begrudge Jack a move to Man City. He's done so much for Villa up this point. I'll be massively disappointed, but I fear we are still a few years away from being CL quality. And by then he'll be pushing 30. Hope he stays. The Villa narrative is so much more interesting than Man City's. There he will be just another galactico who rotates in and out of the starting XI.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

City & Chelsea are very big asks, but Liverpool & Utd could be done over in that time period.

From our current baseline adding 2-3 top class players per season for 3 seasons will have us in the mix for top 4 and consistently in European competitions

Come on man, we're (mostly) optimistic on here at the moment but this is a stretch for me.

Is it only us allowed to sign players for the next 3 years then? Liverpool and United want to win the PL/CL and will sign the appropriate level of player to do so - barring an absolute disaster coupled with us having an incredible season then we aren't catching up for a long time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Love him to bits, but he won't, an unfortunately he won't be treated as such either. KDB would be £150-200 million, Grealish won't be!

KDB

Torres

Mahrez

Cancelo

Laporte

Zinchenko

Dias

All quality, so debatable if Grealish is the better player.

I'd only rate KDB above Jack. The rest aren't even close.

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We're not catching City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd in 3 seasons time.

Their squads are lightyears ahead of us and most of them have elite managers.

The first job is to surmount Leeds, West Ham, Everton and Spurs in the league. Become an even more attractive proposition. 

Then you tackle Arsenal and Leicester. Consolidate and build.

There's no guarantees in this game, and that applies to clubs like Liverpool and Man U too. West Ham nearly toppled them. Leicester toppled them all, and both of those clubs are capable of having average seasons. Throw in managerial staleness, which could easily happen with Klopp, and who knows how Ole will ultimately pan out, and it's a target worth aspiring towards.

1 minute ago, StewieGriffin said:

Come on man, we're (mostly) optimistic on here at the moment but this is a stretch for me.

Is it only us allowed to sign players for the next 3 years then? Liverpool and United want to win the PL/CL and will sign the appropriate level of player to do so - barring an absolute disaster coupled with us having an incredible season then we aren't catching up for a long time.

We have the financial resources available to catch them. We have the facilities to train an elite team and the staff to do it. I genuinely see no reason why we can’t build the squad necessary over the next three seasons. Sure as sh*t that’s what our owners are expecting to do, so short of them admitting defeat and bailing out  we should probably expect the same. 

• Like 2

I imagine this is far from a done deal. That Reddit post says the deal ‘should’ be done in the week, but there’s no info on a fee, wages, contract length? I’d be surprised if he was that well connected and didn’t know those details. 

If a fee had been agreed we would be hearing from Villa sources but we’re not. And the contract hasn’t been signed as confirmed by Sam Lee. So at the very most, Jack’s agents have agreed terms in principle, which is only the first part of a deal, and will likely be fed back to Villa to inform their contract offer. 

Â