The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

There is a chance Jack might go, but life moves on and it wouldn’t be the end of the world - it could actually move us forward. 

I have heard that City have a box on hold for him, so it is definitely something that is a possibility. They have had boxes on hold for other players that never came off, so not guaranteed, but cannot be discounted. 

We have seen already with Buendia that there are other ways to win football matches, and there is no guarantee that Jack would be as effective when he wasn’t the only focal point. It could make him even better, or he could look a little lost like he did at times for England, when he wasn’t brought into the game as consistently as he is at villa. 

Our owners are astute, and whatever happens we are moving in the right direction, and you can guarantee that whatever happens with Jack that they have a plan that is more likely to succeed than not!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThornburyVilla said:

There is a chance Jack might go, but life moves on and it wouldn’t be the end of the world - it could actually move us forward. 

I have heard that City have a box on hold for him, so it is definitely something that is a possibility. They have had boxes on hold for other players that never came off, so not guaranteed, but cannot be discounted. 

We have seen already with Buendia that there are other ways to win football matches, and there is no guarantee that Jack would be as effective when he wasn’t the only focal point. It could make him even better, or he could look a little lost like he did at times for England, when he wasn’t brought into the game as consistently as he is at villa. 

Our owners are astute, and whatever happens we are moving in the right direction, and you can guarantee that whatever happens with Jack that they have a plan that is more likely to succeed than not!  

Weird perk--free coffin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, babyblue said:

It's absolutely possible, you just need the right scouting. 

I'm sure everyone at Villa can see the weak spots of your team, just as Leicester fans can ours. So whilst you lose a great player, you can get better as a unit by targeting those weak spots. 

People saying ah but they dropped off after selling players when winning the league. If we'd kept that entire team together there would have been a drop off, there were too many limited players to keep that up indefinitely. We're in a far better place team wise, squad wise and as a club, having sold players and invested smartly to replace the limited players we had. 

Good post. Hoping we can follow in a similar way to Leicester in the next few years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Good post. Hoping we can follow in a similar way to Leicester in the next few years.

It just needs belief in your plan and the courage to stick to it. That's been one of the most admirable things since winning the league, the owners decided how we wanted to go about things and despite ups and downs they stuck to that blueprint.

You look at someone like Everton, huge investment all over the place. But it was as clear as day they didn't have any sort of plan of how they wanted to play or what their recruitment strategy was. Going from passing managers, to counter attacking managers, to long ball managers. Buying young players but not giving them time, buying old names and too many players coming down the football chain (from clubs like Barca) rather than getting hungry players on the up. They've wasted a huge amount of their owners money and money from player sales of their best players, and have nothing to show for it. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, babyblue said:

It just needs belief in your plan and the courage to stick to it. That's been one of the most admirable things since winning the league, the owners decided how we wanted to go about things and despite ups and downs they stuck to that blueprint.

You look at someone like Everton, huge investment all over the place. But it was as clear as day they didn't have any sort of plan of how they wanted to play or what their recruitment strategy was. Going from passing managers, to counter attacking managers, to long ball managers. Buying young players but not giving them time, buying old names and too many players coming down the football chain (from clubs like Barca) rather than getting hungry players on the up. They've wasted a huge amount of their owners money and money from player sales of their best players, and have nothing to show for it. 

That’s exactly what we did before the arrival of NSWE. Now we seem to have proper structures and plans in place. I’d say we’re set up more like yourselves to a large extent and no longer like Everton and plenty of other clubs, Arsenal, Spurs etc.

In recruitment terms you can see the similarities with Brentford but at a higher level of financial investment. 

• Like 1

Whilst his social media presence has grown recently, he is still somewhat behind even the likes of Jadon Sancho. 
With the success of the Bucks recently, he should sign a new contract with us and then do a photo shoot where they swap shirts with Antetokounmpo, with a tag of they have similar ambitions. That would really boost his online presence and show ambition from the club. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Whilst his social media presence has grown recently, he is still somewhat behind even the likes of Jadon Sancho. 
With the success of the Bucks recently, he should sign a new contract with us and then do a photo shoot where they swap shirts with Antetokounmpo, with a tag of they have similar ambitions. That would really boost his online presence and show ambition from the club. 

Good thoughts, it is indeed a marketing dream. It's all about social media now...

A tie-in between the Bucks and Villa would be massive.

12 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Almost totally unrelated, but every time i read Chilwell’s name since the Euros i get flashbacks to Jack calling him “Chilly” in his glorious Brum accent.

Chilloi.

This is the only way me and my brother say his name now.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

This was my thinking when Barry was going. He could have been a club legend for us. The kind of guy who could turn up to villa park with his grandchildren and be loved. The kind of guy different generation of fans talk about. 

And whilst he has some trophies, what is he to city fans? Or any fans now? 

An excellent and very relevant point 👏

Jack would be giving up hero/legendary status, he will become an idol here if he remains…

I don’t think he’s going anywhere btw, why leave now when we are clearly on the up and targeting & signing better players?

I don't think it makes sense to leave now, he signed a 5 year deal and we've achieved our target from the 5 year plan last season, which was finish 12th. We actrually went one better, and if Grealish hadn't been injured may have finished even higher. We're improving the first team and academy squads at an almost relentless pace and seem to have a coaching team that consistently improves players, so staying where he is he could improve further.

Why jeopardise everything by joing a club who plays the player you were benched for in the England team? If we stall or go backwards this season I'd understand his desire to leave, but currently, all the signs point to the club being able to improve alongside him, and it'd surely mean more to play in Europe with Villa than with another club.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I don't think it makes sense to leave now, he signed a 5 year deal and we've achieved our target from the 5 year plan last season, which was finish 12th. We actrually went one better, and if Grealish hadn't been injured may have finished even higher. We're improving the first team and academy squads at an almost relentless pace and seem to have a coaching team that consistently improves players, so staying where he is he could improve further.

Why jeopardise everything by joing a club who plays the player you were benched for in the England team? If we stall or go backwards this season I'd understand his desire to leave, but currently, all the signs point to the club being able to improve alongside him, and it'd surely mean more to play in Europe with Villa than with another club.

Of all the transfer windows, this one makes the least sense for him to move.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, babyblue said:

It just needs belief in your plan and the courage to stick to it. That's been one of the most admirable things since winning the league, the owners decided how we wanted to go about things and despite ups and downs they stuck to that 

Absolutely agree.

I just happen to believe that our plan is to build a team around Jack and I also believe he is on board with it.

This plan will also have its ups and downs and as you know means that we go through this speculation about our best player every year!

18 hours ago, handsworthvilla said:

Its crazy how much his profile has grown this summer. I remember checking at the start of the last season and he was at around 1million followers on instagram. He has now hit 3million, and pretty much every female under the age of 35 I know is now following him. He has really crossed over into the mainstream consciousness. 

I can't remember if I said it on here or not, can't find the post if I did, but before the Euros I said Grealish will be Beckham after this tournament. Not in terms of playing style, but in terms of profile.

I expected him to play more, but that transition to being the pin up, for want of a better word, of English football has almost been made.

He's a genuine superstar

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Jack would be giving up hero/legendary status, he will become an idol here if he remains…

Just playing devil's advocate - Rooney gave up his hero status at Everton to be a global superstar at ManUtd. Couldn't a similar argument be made for Grealish?

I do wonder how this is going to play out. Jack essentially has the opportunity to play for Villa for another 10-12 years on ridiculous money, and after that no doubt we would offer him coaching positions if he were to go that way. He’d be set for life with us. He has a huge influence on the pitch and behind the scenes which he wouldn’t get anywhere else.

Added to this all the ambition of the owners, we should be challenging for serious trophies within the next 2-3 years. The only thing is we can’t guarantee it right now, where as City can. 

As with everything it comes down to what he wants, be an absolute all time hero at Villa for multiple generations of fans, see where the ambition takes us, or end up as another miscellaneous mega money signing in the history of mega club Man City, win a trophy or 3 then end up who knows where.

Ambition will play a huge part in this at the end of the day. Signings like Buendia, Bailey (or that ilk🤞) will be a huge statement of intent - and no doubt something he will of been involved in. 

Sign the contract plz Jack and let’s get going 🚀 

6 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Just playing devil's advocate - Rooney gave up his hero status at Everton to be a global superstar at ManUtd. Couldn't a similar argument be made for Grealish?

Is he adored by Everton fans? Is he known as a one club man? Is he a legend?

Nope

Â