The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

14 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

This exemplifies modern media doesn’t it? Producers don’t give a sh*t what people actually say, they just want engagement. Keane is perfect fodder for the machine: he says things that never overstep the line, but give plenty of grist to the mill of the rage machine. 

As much as Keane thinks he’s some sort of maverick, he’s a tool so a content producer can point to ‘engagement stats’ on their social feeds. 

There’s no thought here, just the need for engagement. We’re all **** mice pressing furiously pressing the button for another dopamine hit.

Euro 2020 Jack is as much a product of this media maelstrom as a victim of it.

Zero responsibility for his words, I nearly wrote zero 'thought' and responsibility but I honestly believe that's not true. Keane's understands the actions of his words especially the consequences of provoking fans into scapegoating Jack/Sterling. Alternatively if he hadn't thought his words would have consequences on any player he deems unworthy of his own questionable 'standards' then he doesn't deserve to be a pundit whatever the occasion, let alone one as big as last nights game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Absolute bottle jo....

Oh erm oops. His finish in the Liverscum mauling should be proof enough of him taking a penalty or not. Well deserved rest and come back a level higher again.

Just now, The Other Mat said:

Zero responsibility for his words, I nearly wrote zero 'thought' and responsibility but I honestly believe that's not true. Keane's understands the actions of his words especially the consequences of provoking fans into scapegoating Jack/Sterling. Alternatively if he hasn't thought his words have consequences on any player he deems unworthy of his own questionable 'standards' then he doesn't deserve to be a pundit whatever the occasion, let alone one as big as last nights game and especially an England game. 

7 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I haven't criticized Jack and I made it quite clear in my original post it wasn't about who was right or wrong, manager, player, pundit or fan.

You can't infer scenarios either regarding Jack, it's all hear say. He's not someone who steps up for Villa to take a penalty.

Except he literally is. Second biggest game of his career. Remember?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Game has moved on and he just looks old and bitter.

Who bravely walked out on his own national team. Fergie was probably in his ear, get yourself home lad! Yes boss, anything you say. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Absolute bottle jo....

Oh erm oops. His finish in the Liverscum mauling should be proof enough of him taking a penalty or not. Well deserved rest and come back a level higher again.

And this messed up too... Sky taking keane's comments and validating them and perpetuating the issue, to a point Jack has to tweat about it, 12.5 hours after losing in the final. The media/pundits have been bottling this up for weeks, with faux optimism and now it's over they can really let rip on these players and looks like Jack is in their sights. Especially if he signs a new contract, makes them look ridiculous after months of trying to sell him off to city. 

Edited by The Other Mat
  • Like 2

Southgate should have been doing everything in his power to stop that thing being decided on penalties. By all means bring on rashford and Sancho, but do it to try to win the game outright, not to play rashford at right back 

Whilst I don't necessarily agree that penalties are the "lottery" that people say, they are wildly unpredictable.

And just to parrott what people have said, his penalties taker choices were appalling. Penalties are about confidence. Saka had looked terrified and lost since he came on and he trusted two players who he hadn't entrusted with any game time of note up to that point. Hardly something to instill confidence

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Except he literally is. Second biggest game of his career. Remember?

Literally a penalty that could have effectively been his last kick of a football in a Villa shirt had he missed. No pressure.

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

I have come around to thinking that Southgate doesnt have anything against Grealish but he is a Manager that manages 'scared'

Defensive , shows a few signs of attacking but once in front backs off.

With Grealish he just doesnt know how to integrate him into the team.  Take last night, Jack comes on and a few touches shows he could create something but the team kept pushing the ball down Sakas wing, who was totally outclassed and bullied (Take foul when shirt pulled back for example).

With players like Grealish and Foden, you need to build teams around them.  The Team has to have a style a play that pushes the ball through our most creative players, use those talented players to make the team tick.  Instead and it sums Southgate up he uses Henderson.

Last Night all Southgate did was place Grealish on the pitch and let him run around.  Same with Mount, who I have seen no point of him being on the pitch in his games at Euros, but he is a talented player as he has shown for Chelsea.

Apart from a brief time with Gazza, this has been Englands problem since 66.  In '66 England won with what was seen at the time a more defensive but effective formation.  Since then our most creative players have been side shows to the team instead of the center.

A good manager sets his team up and uses tactics that get the best out of the players at his disposal. This England team have good players that have to try to get the best results out of what the manager presents them with. 

1 minute ago, villanmac said:

Funny how a few days ago he's supposed to be a good boy and accept the manager's  ("ruthless") decision when he gets hooked off as a sub in extra time. Now apparently he shouldn't listen to the manager, he should just say fook off im taking one instead of xyz.

Hilarious isn't it? Can you imagine the stick he'd get if he took the ball off Saka and took one himself, only to miss anyway. It might even be the end of his international career. Southgate has clearly shown he doesn't trust him already so doing something like that would help?

Also, let's not forget this quote from Southgate after the Romania friendly when Henderson took the ball off Calvert-Lewin and missed...

“We had Marcus Rashford on penalties then James Ward-Prowse but both came off,” explained Southgate. “We expected Dominic Calvert-Lewin to take it and I was expecting Hendo to go over to him and let him take it. We will pull rank next time.”

Maybe people need to seriously think before they speak sometimes. It's embarrassing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

I have come around to thinking that Southgate doesnt have anything against Grealish but he is a Manager that manages 'scared'

Defensive , shows a few signs of attacking but once in front backs off.

With Grealish he just doesnt know how to integrate him into the team.  Take last night, Jack comes on and a few touches shows he could create something but the team kept pushing the ball down Sakas wing, who was totally outclassed and bullied (Take foul when shirt pulled back for example).

With players like Grealish and Foden, you need to build teams around them.  The Team has to have a style a play that pushes the ball through our most creative players, use those talented players to make the team tick.  Instead and it sums Southgate up he uses Henderson.

Last Night all Southgate did was place Grealish on the pitch and let him run around.  Same with Mount, who I have seen no point of him being on the pitch in his games at Euros, but he is a talented player as he has shown for Chelsea.

Apart from a brief time with Gazza, this has been Englands problem since 66.  In '66 England won with what was seen at the time a more defensive but effective formation.  Since then our most creative players have been side shows to the team instead of the center.

Yes there are two important factors here one being Jack's injury issues. It's a fact he wasn't 100 percent fit so I think limiting his game time was necessary but not to the extent Southgate has under utilised him. The other thing is its clear you aren't going to get the best out of Jack unless he is starting games. He needs to be central or at least key to the strategy of the team. He can't help unless he has the ball at his feet. Jack has been used as an impact sub but Southgate hasn't got the game plan to make that work!

Southgate hasn't got the balls to take our attacking talent and build the team around that. It's all about building the team around a back line. That works until you start coming up against good teams. It's anti football and Gareth needs to learn from this. 

Edited by birdman
  • Like 1

Â