The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I worry it'll be quiet at the start of the season when Jack misses games due to forcing himself back.

Hope this has scratched an itch for him because he's clearly barely fit and probably shouldn't he playing.

You think so? That would justify the minutes he has played even more so. 

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

It's genuinely terrifying that someone could actually think, let alone believe that theory.

Someone said it best when they talked about a Jack "cult" developing. Grealishtology has its followers.

It was similar when he got in trouble during lockdown. The amount of people who wanted to shrug it off or ignore the obvious because it was Jack Grealish was very surprising. 

I absolutely love the guy. Easily my favourite player and I will be devastated if he leaves. But there's a line before it becomes quite odd behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Just because one team beats another doesn't mean you'd beat the side that was beaten. 2nd they completely changed up their DM pairing after that game which made them way better.

I also said to a lesser extent. I mostly meant Spain, Italy and Belgium as the teams we'd get schooled by. 

So if England beat Italy on Sunday, does it revert to "we'd have been schooled by those other teams" and you get to sail off into the sunset with your inarguable opinion in tact? 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So if England beat Italy on Sunday, does it revert to "we'd have been schooled by those other teams" and you get to sail off into the sunset with your inarguable opinion in tact? 

No because football is luck. If we dominated the game then maybe I'd consider myself wrong. But we are sturdy enough that a good team will struggle to break us down even if they dominate the ball. Football is entertainment that is where all the money comes from, I'm very disappointed with how we play because it isn't entertaining. I'm even more disappointed at how Southgate treats Jack, and the double standard he requires of jack compared to everyone else. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You think so? That would justify the minutes he has played even more so. 

Doesn't look right at all to me.

He came back too early for us. His season was done, but he played 150 mins the last two games. Then 150-180(?) in the two England friendlies.

I think he needed to not be playing and wouldn't have been if the euros weren't happening.

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

Rubbish. How about vs Germany and vs Ukraine and vs Denmark in this tournament? All when it matters, under  pressure. Southgate is doing a very professional job: Semi final of the World Cup; comfortable qualifying campaign; now a final at the Euros. He also engendered a “Club England” that never existed, it’s a long game at play here and he is at the heart of it. He has totally turned me around, take your claret and blue glasses off for a moment and accept his decisions are making the difference.

And FWIW I thought taking Jack off last night was the wrong decision because it invited pressure when we were comfortable on the front foot, but I understood why he made that calculated change and it certainly didn’t cost him. Safety first, playing the percentages is why we are in a final. TBH I didn’t think Jack made as much of an impact as we might have hoped even though he was solid I think it was an easy decision for Southgate given the context of the game, and even if his curling shot from the corner of the box had gone in, he would still have taken him off.

I don’t think we will beat Italy, but I think we have a better chance under Southgate than any other manager in the last 50 years.

Good results =/= Good Performances. 

Ukraine was a good performance although helped by awful keeping and the team giving up after the 2nd goal. 

The others were pretty poor imo. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Its quite obvious and I believe Southgate explained it. 

We wanted to go 3 at the back, Sterling's pace was important to counter and Foden had only just come on. 

You keep saying it's normal to take a cf off, but I've not seen that. Why would you take off Kane, who was playing well, holds the ball up well and is our best finisher? 

You can disagree with the tactical decision, which I did to some extent, but to claim it was a personal decision is absolutely crazy for the reasons I previously explained. You must think Southgate is some utter psychopath. 

The clip I’ve heard is Southgate saying it was between Foden and Grealish to come off. He doesn’t elaborate any further than that, and isn’t pushed to give any further explanation. Some might have looked towards Mings to come on as part of 3 at the back, and put Kyle Walker to RB with Shaw at LB. It could easily be argued that Mings brought more physicality to the backline. Look, the end justifies the means for most people, and I get that. But don’t you question, even slightly, why it’s always Jack, where Southgate is concerned? 

I’m old enough to remember Jack’s England debut and Southgate moaning that he didn’t stay far enough up the pitch, but dropped off getting mixed up in midfield too much (the strikers role!).

Now he doesn’t do enough defensive work? Think I’ve finally understood what gaslighting means.

10 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Football is entertainment that is where all the money comes from, I'm very disappointed with how we play because it isn't entertaining.

Football like all sport, is about winning. Fans turn up when their team is good and winning games. Yes in an ideal world you want to be entertained when you watch sports but first and foremost you want to see your team win.

I doubt there are many England fans out there complaining about the way they play when they've just reached a final. As I said earlier, some comments in here make it sound like England play like Stoke used too. The games have been very entertaining if only for the drama and sense of occasion. The way England were passing it around with confidence to see out the game was fantastic to watch. In the past England would have panicked, had 11 men behind the ball and hoofed it any chance they got. Instead they basically said "we're better than you and you wont get the ball off us". The crowd shouting oles seemed to be entertained.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Because Grealish is a weak defensive player and doesnt press very well. He was brought on at 1-1 when England needed a goal, Southgate did not want to gamble on penalties. When England scored he wanted to run out the clock and not gamble on being caught out going for a 3rd. England passed the ball around effortlessly to see out the game. You get one chance and cant **** it up. Jack's feelings or the fact he had come on as a sub were irrelevant. He deduced that the best 11 to see out the game were the 11 who finished it.

End of story. There is nothing more too it than that other than some peoples warped minds.

Listen, the end justifies the means for you. That’s fine. Some ppl are minded to look where others don’t. That’s also fine. Doesn’t make them warped. There’s a certain amount of narcissism in that type of thinking. 

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Listen, the end justifies the means for you. That’s fine. Some ppl are minded to look where others don’t.

If looking where others don't means coming up with theories that Southgate took Jack off to **** with his head then I'm glad I don't "look where others don't".

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

Correct my if I’m wrong, but England were 2-1 ahead, having just controlled the first half of extra time. Denmark were essentially down to 10 men. To leave Kane on because he’s a good penalty taker (not backed up by his effort minutes earlier) would mean we’d have had to have conceded an equaliser…….which would have been catastrophically poor play given the above mentioned circumstances. I’m sorry, but however anyone wishes to dress this up it’s a personal choice against jack Grealish. 

The whole reason to take off an attacking player was to defend the lead. Whether you agree with those tactics (I personally don’t like them, but that’s what Southgate went with and it worked) is entirely your own opinion, but that’s what the manager chose to do. It wasn’t about picking on Grealish, that’s a ridiculous notion. If that’s the case, why put him on in the first place?

And yeah, leaving Kane on in case of a penalty shootout makes complete sense. His penalty may have been terrible last night, but would you really not have him among your initial penalty takers? He’d still be first choice for me. Conceding an equaliser would have been poor, but at that point Denmark had no choice but to go for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Listen, the end justifies the means for you. That’s fine. Some ppl are minded to look where others don’t. That’s also fine. Doesn’t make them warped. There’s a certain amount of narcissism in that type of thinking. 

"Some people just want to win things, others are too cool for that"

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

I’m old enough to remember Jack’s England debut and Southgate moaning that he didn’t stay far enough up the pitch, but dropped off getting mixed up in midfield too much (the strikers role!).

Now he doesn’t do enough defensive work? Think I’ve finally understood what gaslighting means.

Southgate has never said this, for the record.

I think we should have killed the game off rather than going to 5 at the back, but given that Southgate is the bastard son of Steve Bruce, and would 0-0 his way to the final if he could, the sub kind of made sense once committed to that tactical change. @DCJonah has hit the nail on the head, repeatedly. 

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Jack is a good presser of the ball. Someone posted stats regarding this further back in the thread before it became the Euro 2021 thread.

He isn't. He's statistically better than Sterling. He is below average for his position according to fbref. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Southgate has never said this, for the record.

Whether he’s said it or not, that seems to be the justification floating around the interweb for Jack getting yeeted.

Â