The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, vreitti said:

Why should I care about England winning? I'm Finnish ffs. I absolutely wanna be entertained watching football. Poor me.

I have zero idea what you're referring to with Samatta fans. Have I expressed an opinion on the matter?

I'm talking about the Samatta fans because it's the same situation in reverse, so perhaps it might illuminate how your views come across. As an England fan, it's people who aren't actually interested in the team you support calling your team / manager shit because that team isn't doing what they personally want ("I just want to see Samatta play FFS"), irrespective of whether it would actually benefit the team.

Is Aston Villa a shit club because we won't play Samatta when better options are available? Of course we're not. It's a stupid metric to assess the success of Villa or the competence of our management. Whether Southgate is playing the sort of football that entertains some random Finnish guy is a similarly stupid metric by which to assess his competence.

We are of course playing quite boring, defensive fooball. You're perfectly entitled to want it to be more attractive, and to want to see more Jack Grealish. But the fact you aren't getting that doesn't make him a bad manager.

46 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Apologies if mentioned elsewhere. 

A couple of Independant sources have now stated they believe Grealish is saying. 

Collymore (cryptically) send a photo of Jack signing a contract after spending the match with Jack's dad and encouraged to "ask the question". 

Ashley Preece (Birmingham mail) said on the live stream yesterday sources around Jack say he's staying. 

Southgate being blind has helped us here. If he started every game I genuinely believe he'd be player of the tournament. With his injury and questions over this summer it's highly unlikely anyone will spend 100mill. 

20210708_103039.jpg

20210708_103208.jpg

Did he actually send the photo of him with his dog as a reply? Can't see it on his account so maybe he's deleted it?

29 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I wonder whether the people saying England are playing dull, defensive football are even watching the games. There is nothing dull about their play at all and its also very effective.

Effective yes, but I noted from the commentator yesterday that we have had fewer shots than any team in the latter stages (less than half of the other semi-finalists at the start of the game), more touches per shot, and spent far more time rolling the ball around the defence. Even yesterday in a winning semi-final there were moans and boos from the Wembley fans at times when the ball was just taken from a dangerous area and worked back to Pickford. Generally the games have been pretty dull at around 60 mins which is why the England fans (not the Villa fans!) have been singing for Jack to be subbed on.

Totally agree with you on ‘not the Jack Grealish show’ and also totally agree it’s effective and tends to be how teams win tournaments but Ukraine aside it’s been a grind for the most part and I don’t think we need to pretend otherwise. No-one will care if we beat Italy of course and maybe this is the best way for an international team to play given limited time together so I’m not being critical.

27 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Correct my if I’m wrong, but England were 2-1 ahead, having just controlled the first half of extra time. Denmark were essentially down to 10 men. To leave Kane on because he’s a good penalty taker (not backed up by his effort minutes earlier) would mean we’d have had to have conceded an equaliser…….which would have been catastrophically poor play given the above mentioned circumstances. I’m sorry, but however anyone wishes to dress this up it’s a personal choice against jack Grealish. 

The mental hoops you've had to jump through there to twist reality to your agenda is utterly astonishing. I'm actually impressed. 

• Haha 2

I am so conflicted right now. I had such a hard time enjoying that victory last night but in the end, as someone who was calling for Southgate's head after the Scotland game, you cannot argue with how things have played out. We're performing well and are into a final for the first time in 55 years. It stings to see Grealish subbed but we have to appreciate why - switching to a back 5 and using Sterlings pace on the counter does make sense. Sterling who was an absolute terror, he showed no signs of slowing down, racing past defenders even deep in ET.

I do think Grealish should start in the final. Again he created chances when he was introduced and I thought, offensively, he did more in his cameo than Mount and Saka managed respectively. Do I think he'll start? Not a chance.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Not wishing to jinx anything but I can honestly see Jack staying this summer now.

Only City and United in our league could have have afforded him right at this moment. Utd have chosen to go with Sancho and City will surely push hard for Kane in the next week or so and they may just get him. If this happens, they cannot make a second £100m plus purchase surely?

In addition, Jack’s agent is playing a blinder here.  Probably being coy over interest in Jack from elsewhere, knowing that an improved contract will be drawn up and offered, thus giving him a nice wedge again.

Finally, whilst away with England, Jack will have seen what it’s like not necessarily being the biggest fish in the pond. He’s adored here by players and fans and rightly so, and that will ultimately influence his decision to stay I reckon. 

Yup this my thoughts. Jack is finding out what its like not to be the main man. He needs to be loved - and he knows he will get that in shedloads at VP. 

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I do think Grealish should start in the final. Again he created chances when he was introduced and I thought, offensively, he did more in his cameo than Mount and Saka managed respectively. Do I think he'll start? Not a chance.

Tbf Saka was outstanding for the first goal.  If Kane hadn't got in the way at the end though Jack might have smashed one into the top corner.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Hi all, felt awful for Jack yday. Also he basically got the assist for the winner in the second to last kick of the 90, just Kane inexplicably fluffed it and the ball hit his heel. 

That would he getting a lot more attention if we hadn't won last night.

Absolute sitter.

• Like 1

Sad as we are that Jack was subbed off, he’s still made valid contributions to England teaching a final. Southgate obviously sees him as a bit of a luxury, someone to bring on when you need a goal. He’s wrong, Jack’s much more than that, but whatever Bruce, sorry Southgate, is doing, it’s working for England. (It could be much better, but we’ve been through this). 

Jack will be pretty happy that he’s been involved, it’s his first tournament, and he’s gained a lot of fans. I just want him to come back to Villa in one piece and I still think he’ll make a positive contribution in the final. Hopefully a goal, preferably the winning one. 

13 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:
16 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Jack will be player of the tournament in the next World Cup.

I'd say he's odds on to not make the squad with this manager.

The manager who handed him his debut? The manager who picked him despite not being fully fit and coming back from injury? That manager?

• Like 3

Â