The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I too have seen nothing in this kid to get remotely excited about. As someone said earlier he was embarrassing against city. having said that it was an odd substitution and I'd love to see him come good

One of my work colleagues is a Notts County fan, goes to all their games etc.  I wouldn't say he's a football Don or anything (he works with me; not as a scout) but he said Grealish was head and shoulders above everyone at the club and "will have a big future in the game".  His highlights reel is fairly impressive and his touch and composure against Stoke - where he kept getting kicked and just laughed it off - was superb.  He's impressed me with his few substitute appearances, but he's had very limited time on the pitch and has also had to play against Man City (people are knocking his brief performance in this game; well done VT :D).

Part of me wonders what happens with youth prospects on the whole.  For example, Grealish is in the last year of his contract but hasn't been bought by anyone/snapped up as a kid by anyone etc. etc. - whereas we lost Danny Crowley to Arsenal for, essentially, **** all not so long ago.  Does this mean Crowley is a "better" prospect than Grealish, or should we really consider how players develop?

In any case, I think Grealish has the majority of Villa fans excited about what he could become.  I don't think it's about the here and now but, longer term, he could be one hell of a player.  A 5 year contract offer (if true) shows that our youth coaches, first team coaches and scouting staff all have faith that this kid is the real deal.  Let's hope he signs and fills that potential - irrespective of whether it's for £10k/wk or £20k/wk.

• Like 2

He's in a similar mould to Reus I think.  Very tricky, draws fouls, is quick over the ground, but he'll never (or rarely) score thunderbolts like Lampard/Gerrard.

He really needs to use this season as a platform.  I'd also say he needs to have one or two really good games where he affects the result.

People going on about he hasn’t done nothing yet.  What world are you people living on?  If he got a chance then he might, not 10 - 15 mins here or there. 

This idea that he is holding the club to ransom is BS.  It’s in his interest to get the best deal possible and anyone in his position would do the same.  He would have saw the club bringing in the likes of Tonev last year and paying them a handsome wage plus a purchase fee on top, so he is entitled to as much as them.

The players we brought in last year, who hadn’t proved themselves, were a bigger risk, than offering Grealish the likes of 15-20k.  We have had this guy since he has been knee high and if the club staff don’t know his ability now, whether it be bad or good, then they deserved be sacked.

Much too early to tell with Grealish, and, in my opinion, he did not look any better than Robinson in their substitute appearances.

Both showed their inexperience, and that is to be expected.

Having said that, he has the `look', plenty of confidence, and a good attitude, as evidenced by his reaction to the fouling by Stoke.

We have had so many false dawns with our young players, who have looked great in the reserves, but failed to replicate that in the first team, so that is why, though hoping so much for him to be successful, I would withhold judgement for the present, as I would with any of our young players. 

Good news: he might be the next Brian Little.

Bad news: he might be the next Lee Hendrie.

Lee Hendrie was class. If Grealish can play 125 games for Villa never mind 250 I'll be impressed and surprised.
The word 'class' gets branded about this forum in some bizarre statements IMO.

This however, takes the biscuit.

Lee hendrie was a decent player who had a lot of promise. He should/could have been better than he was perhaps but he was most definately not 'class'.

Definitely.

Unlike your original post, I don't disagree with this. ;)

People going on about he hasn’t done nothing yet.  What world are you people living on?  If he got a chance then he might, not 10 - 15 mins here or there. 

This idea that he is holding the club to ransom is BS.  It’s in his interest to get the best deal possible and anyone in his position would do the same.  He would have saw the club bringing in the likes of Tonev last year and paying them a handsome wage plus a purchase fee on top, so he is entitled to as much as them.

The players we brought in last year, who hadn’t proved themselves, were a bigger risk, than offering Grealish the likes of 15-20k.  We have had this guy since he has been knee high and if the club staff don’t know his ability now, whether it be bad or good, then they deserved be sacked.

he played against Orient and did nowt!

I too have seen nothing in this kid to get remotely excited about. As someone said earlier he was embarrassing against city. having said that it was an odd substitution and I'd love to see him come good

One of my work colleagues is a Notts County fan, goes to all their games etc. I wouldn't say he's a football Don or anything (he works with me; not as a scout) but he said Grealish was head and shoulders above everyone at the club and "will have a big future in the game". His highlights reel is fairly impressive and his touch and composure against Stoke - where he kept getting kicked and just laughed it off - was superb. He's impressed me with his few substitute appearances, but he's had very limited time on the pitch and has also had to play against Man City (people are knocking his brief performance in this game; well done VT :D).

Part of me wonders what happens with youth prospects on the whole. For example, Grealish is in the last year of his contract but hasn't been bought by anyone/snapped up as a kid by anyone etc. etc. - whereas we lost Danny Crowley to Arsenal for, essentially, **** all not so long ago. Does this mean Crowley is a "better" prospect than Grealish, or should we really consider how players develop?

In any case, I think Grealish has the majority of Villa fans excited about what he could become. I don't think it's about the here and now but, longer term, he could be one hell of a player. A 5 year contract offer (if true) shows that our youth coaches, first team coaches and scouting staff all have faith that this kid is the real deal. Let's hope he signs and fills that potential - irrespective of whether it's for £10k/wk or £20k/wk.

Not much of what you say here, I disagree with. I don't think his touch and composure v stoke was 'superb' but it was a positive.

However, season after season someone crops up and we all get excited about what they could become (as you put it). And nothing materialises.

Now that's not to say jack won't be different, but for me, he's pretty much shown the 'he looks lively' attribute, which they all do and seems to be following the same trend as others. Again IMO.

I don't think anyone is asking for miracles. I know I'm not. That said, I really would like someone like jack to come into the side with all the hype, and really excite us instantly. Again, that's not guaranteed to be consistent but I truly believe that if he was going to be the player we all hope he will be, then we all, IMO, would have seen something from the lad on the pitch to show us that.

Not everyone agrees on vt of course, and actually what do any of our opinions actually mount up to in terms of importance.

I just wonder how many times/and for how long people will continue to show the patience with these kids - well not them specifically - but with our approach in terms of the transition to the first team from the youth team.

It's quite poor in terms of actual quality. The number of youths that have made the first team is high however, necessity has played a big part in that.

Right now, with jack, I'm seeing exactly what I've seen every single season for the past 6/7 years in terms of 'potential stars' at villa.

Edited by Woodytom

My Little/Hendrie comparison has been misunderstood. I wasn't saying that one had talent and the other didn't. Far from it: Hendrie had talent in spades, but it was too short-lived due to his 'lifestyle issues'. I just hope that Grealish doesn't piss it all up against a wall like Lee did.

I just wonder how many times/and for how long people will continue to show the patience with these kids - well not them specifically - but with our approach in terms of the transition to the first team from the youth team.

It's quite poor in terms of actual quality. The number of youths that have made the first team is high however, necessity has played a big part in that.

Right now, with jack, I'm seeing exactly what I've seen every single season for the past 6/7 years in terms of 'potential stars' at villa.

I agree with most of your post, so only highlighting this section.  You say our youth team is "quite poor in terms of actual quality" but I think we produce a lot of Premier League players?  This isn't to say that they're on a par with Europes brightest talents, but quite a few players make the grade in the Premier League.  They could be squad players at clubs or first team at others, but they're still good enough to be in that role.

The difference with Grealish compared to many others (Delfouneso, Bannan and Gardner I suppose) is that the hype doesn't seem to relate to "this kid will be awesome at Villa" but moreso "this kid will be awesome".  It's the differentiation between our club and football as a whole.  Whether or not he turns out to be that good obviously remains to be seen, but, for me, it's just different with him.

The one time ive had a proper look at him (vs. Parma in pre-season) he looked quality.

These 4/5 ten minute cameo's he's had in the Prem, granted he's hardly got into the games which is understandable as we've mainly been defending and ball chasing (as per usual). I never saw the Orient game so cant comment. I think when we play the lesser teams he should be given a proper run out, maybe start a couple on the bounce, then we can all make a real assessment on his progression and integration into the first team. I hope he does sign a lengthy contracr (not that contracts mean much thesedays) and becomes our new cult hero.

And in the same mould as Reus? Thatd be nice.

He had 15 minutes against **** man city. Get a grip.

Exactly, how can people possibly be calling a performance 'embarrassing' in that situation? Their reaction is more embarrassing to be honest. 

Heard it all now? If Grealish was 'embarassing' then I don't think there is a word in the Engish language to describe how bad Bacuna looked. In the circumstances Jack did OK against City and defended well. The fact he was brought on the pitch under the circumstances is the only embarassing performance evident here as I can't imagine what Lambert was thinking?

Exactly, how can people possibly be calling a performance 'embarrassing' in that situation? Their reaction is more embarrassing to be honest. 

Heard it all now? If Grealish was 'embarassing' then I don't think there is a word in the Engish language to describe how bad Bacuna looked. In the circumstances Jack did OK against City and defended well. The fact he was brought on the pitch under the circumstances is the only embarassing performance evident here as I can't imagine what Lambert was thinking?

Fans call for youngster to get game time.

Lambert gives youngster game time.

Lambert in the wrong.

****.  Hell.

• Like 1

Lambert in the wrong.

****.  Hell.

Yeah inspired management bringing on our least experienced player in a game where the pressure was on to hold out for a draw, where we had minimal possession and were starting to be over run? You honestly beleive that was valuable game time for Grealish? FFS he was only put on the bench at the last minute when Gabby had his funny turn! Sanchez, Clark or even Joe Cloe would have been more sensible options in the circumstances but Lambert can do no wrong though!

Edit: When has Lambert ever done what the fans ask anyway? He left by now if that was the case?

Edited by DelboyVilla

Lambert in the wrong.

****.  Hell.

Yeah inspired management bringing on our least experienced player in a game where the pressure was on to hold out for a draw, where we had minimal possession and were starting to be over run? You honestly beleive that was valuable game time for Grealish? FFS he was only put on the bench at the last minute when Gabby had his funny turn! Sanchez, Clark or even Joe Cloe would have been more sensible options in the circumstances but Lambert can do no wrong though!

Edit: When has Lambert ever done what the fans ask anyway? He left by now if that was the case?

I think he shifted Grealish to be a more attacking option/outlet ball and brought Bacuna on at the same time to be defensively solid.  He possibly even dared to think that we could nick a win and didn't want to go too defensive or something - I'm not the manager though, so I don't know.

I haven't praised Lambert for this either.  I'm pretty neutral to the substitution to be honest. I find it fairly hard to criticise bringing on a young player to get some game time against some of the best players in the country in a game that was 0-0 with 20 minutes left.  I certainly don't attribute that subsitution to us losing the game - it just... happened.

But yes, it's definitely a case of Lambert doing no wrong rather than Lambert doing no right.  Definitely.  I'd rather see Grealish reserved purely for games against "lesser" opposition.  Probably Lambert's fault then too.

Â