The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

He isnt going to play/show up for ireland u21s on thursday. He says he wants to stay at Villa and discuss ongoing contract talks.

got a source? if so, this is good news for us.

Or maybe.. Just maybe, he's expecting to be given a fair wage for someone with his ability?

If he's demanding 30k a week then you have a point, but as we don't know, you cannot say we're being held to ransom.

Don't forget, it's his dad doing his agency work on his behalf, maybe he's told him to walk away and look at the deal offered in more detail?

All of this is pure speculation though and I very much doubt he'll leave us.

• Like 1

Or maybe.. Just maybe, he's expecting to be given a fair wage for someone with his ability?

If he's demanding 30k a week then you have a point, but as we don't know, you cannot say we're being held to ransom.

Don't forget, it's his dad doing his agency work on his behalf, maybe he's told him to walk away and look at the deal offered in more detail?

Also, as with any transaction, both parties will value their position differently and look for the most value. I don't see this as any different.

I am sure he has not been offered a pittance.

He has come through the youth, we have invested time and effort in developing him, you sign the contract, prove yourself and then you get the rewards. At least that is how it used to work.

Well in Grealishs defence is he getting to prove himself in the Villa first team? I dont think he is due to the fact we dont have the luxury to carry a player for a few games until he adapts and gets confidence.

Not saying Grealish is as good as Stearling or someone similar to his age but they all got their chance due to playing with good players round them and very little pressure. We have relegation pressure every season.

Being held to ransom by a 19 year old kid who has done nothing beyond league 1.

Football is total shit nowadays.

He's a full member of the senior squad now and should be given a wage that reflects that.

He's a full member of the senior squad now and should be given a wage that reflects that.

Sorry but that is nonsense he isn't a full member of the senior squad and he isn't deserving of a 1st team salary.

He is a promising kid nothing more at this stage, we've seen more than enough of these fail already at this club. Remember Bannan getting 20k a week? That went well didn't it.

Far too many young players are given too much too early in English football and it is to their detriment. 

Sorry but that is nonsense he isn't a full member of the senior squad and he isn't deserving of a 1st team salary.

He is a promising kid nothing more at this stage, we've seen more than enough of these fail already at this club. Remember Bannan getting 20k a week? That went well didn't it.

Far too many young players are given too much too early in English football and it is to their detriment.

No it isn't. He is a member of the senior side now, fact. The thing is that if we had signed him from say the Eredivisie then there would be no problem with him getting a normal wage. But it seems like there is a mentality to pay him a reserve wage just because he is an academy product. He should be at least be on something similar to the likes of Leandro Bacuna in my opinion.

Also, we didn't find ourselves in such a mess financially because we paid Barry Bannan £20k-per-week. He served as a squad option in his three years and we were able to offload him when he became surplus to requirements. Hardly end of the world was it?

No it isn't. He is a member of the senior side now, fact. The thing is that if we had signed him from say the Eredivisie then there would be no problem with him getting a normal wage. But it seems like there is a mentality to pay him a reserve wage just because he is an academy product. He should be at least be on something similar to the likes of Leandro Bacuna in my opinion.

Also, we didn't find ourselves in such a mess financially because we paid Barry Bannan £20k-per-week. He served as a squad option in his three years and we were able to offload him when he became surplus to requirements. Hardly end of the world was it?

Bannan and Delfouneso alone probably took the best part of £8m in wages out the club for what it is worth,

I just hope it is not another one of these contracts every club seems to give out nowadays based on potential rather than the here and now.

Edited by rodders0223

Saying fact doesn't make it one you know.

There isn't a reserve team any more an there is no such thing as a reserve team wage. 

And I didn't say we found ourselves in a financial mess because of what we paid Bannan, you seem to have massively missed the point. The point had absolutely nothing to do with the financial position of the club and everything to do with the development of young players and not giving them too much too soon.

Bannan and Delfouneso alone probably took the best part of £8m in wages out the club for what it is worth,

I just hope it is not another one of these contracts every club seems to give out nowadays based on potential rather than the here and now.

I understand your concern Rodders but let's remember also that our wage structure is pretty modest now. If Grealish simply gets paid on par with the lowest earners in our squad, it won't be very much but I think it's important that we send him the message that we view him as a senior player and not a reserve.

Regarding Bannan, it's not like he spent his time here getting paid to do nothing. He was a fully involved member of the squad who made over 80 appearences for the club in those three years. If Grealish goes on to do the same, even if he ultimately fails to establish himself, then it still hasn't been money wasted.

Saying fact doesn't make it one you know.

There isn't a reserve team any more an there is no such thing as a reserve team wage. 

And I didn't say we found ourselves in a financial mess because of what we paid Bannan, you seem to have massively missed the point. The point had absolutely nothing to do with the financial position of the club and everything to do with the development of young players and not giving them too much too soon.

I understood your point. I was trying to counter that I don't think £20k-per-week is a particularly high wage and wasn't responsible for Bannan failing to be a success here.

As for a reserve team wage, well you're just getting into semantics. The income of the U21 players is obviously considerably lower than those in the senior squad. Of which Grealish has been promoted to in my eyes.

Then we should have sorted it earlier. We've allowed jack to get a taste of first team football and allowed other clubs to show an interest. We backed ourselves into a corner by leaving it so late and put all the power in his court.

Â