Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

Summer in Hawaii and the wildfire devastation makes this town look like Kharkiv in the winter. Such a horror and so very sad.

Not sure what the point is? One scientist I've found somewhere says this is normal. He's fully qualified. 

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Not sure what the point is? One scientist I've found somewhere says this is normal. He's fully qualified. 

Normal for an entire Hawaiian town to burn to ashes? Maybe when there's a volcanic eruption, but I don't recall anything like this happening in tropical Hawaii.

As with most catastrophic natural disasters these days, global warning might not be the only factor but it seems to be a rather obvious one. 

Abnormal weather patterns creating extreme conditions that are causing serious problems all around the world as we speak. In Hawaii, there's a drought, which is unusual, and so the landscape is more prone to wildfires and ocean storms that are getting stronger and are driving wind speeds that make wildfires more dangerous. Irresponsible agricultural practices have not helped them in Hawaii. But it is only a contributing factor. 

You say you've found one fully qualified scientist who says this is normal. I'm not sure that settles matter when the overwhelming majority of climate scientists believe that global warming causes extreme weather systems and events that impact the planet in complex, varied ways. 

Edited by maqroll

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

You say you've found one fully qualified scientist who says this is normal. I'm not sure that settles matter when the overwhelming majority of climate scientists believe that global warming causes extreme weather systems and events that impact the planet in complex, varied ways. 

i-was-being-very-very-sarcastic-patrick.

Edited by sidcow

• 3 weeks later...

_130892507_gettyimages-84382241.thumb.jpg.cf133d6a768ffdf764d422eaf0a49729.jpg

A catastrophic die-off of emperor penguin chicks has been observed in the Antarctic, with up to 10,000 young birds estimated to have been killed.

The sea-ice underneath the chicks melted and broke apart before they could develop the waterproof feathers needed to swim in the ocean.

The birds most likely drowned or froze to death.

The event, in late 2022, occurred in the west of the continent in an area fronting on to the Bellingshausen Sea.

It was recorded by satellites.

Dr Peter Fretwell, from the British Antarctic Survey (BAS), said the wipeout was a harbinger of things to come.

Edited by Xann

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Looks like Sunak will be rolling back on the 2030 date for new petrol cars and the commitment on boilers - saving the planet and all that sort of thing is all very well, but won't somebody think of the shareholders?

The 2030 date being pushed back to 2035 is expected. I speak to a lot of people in the motor industry (dealer networks / manufacturers) as part of my role and none of them were ever working to 2030, as it was an impossible target. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Xela said:

The 2030 date being pushed back to 2035 is expected. I speak to a lot of people in the motor industry (dealer networks / manufacturers) as part of my role and none of them were ever working to 2030, as it was an impossible target. 

Do they think that some manufacturers will make ICE cars for a market as small as the UK?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

Do they think that some manufacturers will make ICE cars for a market as small as the UK?

Yes, as most major manufacturers will be making ICE cars past 2030. I think the  deadline in the EU is 2035, although Germany were challenging that. 

Japan is 2035 as well (being a major RHD market)

Edited by Xela

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

German car manufacturers will continue to make ICE cars after 2035 having successfully lobbied to overturn a proposed EU ban.

I might have misremembered and don't have time to check now, but I thought the ICE ban is for 2030, not 2035. Hybrids is 2035. I'd probably support an extension for hybrids, but hydrogen should be viable by then anyway.

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

I might have misremembered and don't have time to check now, but I thought the ICE ban is for 2030, not 2035. Hybrids is 2035. I'd probably support an extension for hybrids, but hydrogen should be viable by then anyway.

It was supposed to be 2030 in the Uk and 2035 in the EU but the Germans have thrown a bit of torque wrench in the works. The German ICE industry was considered too important to lose all the extra engineering and manufacturing that goes into an ICE car compared with the much simpler electric cars so internal combustion engines will continue to be permitted, they will need to run on a carbon neutral fuel by 2035 though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It was supposed to be 2030 in the Uk and 2035 in the EU but the Germans have thrown a bit of torque wrench in the works. The German ICE industry was considered too important to lose all the extra engineering and manufacturing that goes into an ICE car compared with the much simpler electric cars so internal combustion engines will continue to be permitted, they will need to run on a carbon neutral fuel by 2035 though.

Doesn't all that apply to hybrids, but more so? They'll get left behind on the world markets if they are doing pure ICE.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Does he think this is a vote winner for some reason?  He could just not do anything and let it be Labour's to deal with.

Clutching at straws I think. The 'motorist' is a big demographic, and while some are pro EV, a lot are yet to be convinced, especially those with no driveways to install a home charger. 

Â