Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Well, I think that a UK holiday is a luxury comparing to a cheap get away in Spain or Greece.

Prices for hotels in Cornwall vs Tenerife goes very much in favour of Spain. Let alone the fact that if you live in Manchester, the flight across Europe will often be cheaper than driving/getting a train to Cornwall.

Even a week in a caravan can cost well over a grand in the UK during school holidays. Then you’ll have your pants pulled down every time you want to buy food or drink.

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

Even a week in a caravan can cost well over a grand in the UK during school holidays. Then you’ll have your pants pulled down every time you want to buy food or drink.

And then you'll have to explain to your kids why it's rained the whole week while their friends got a nice tan and got to swim in the warm sea. And that's not mentioning their parents being able to afford to buy them €1 ice cream everyday. 

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Well, I think that a UK holiday is a luxury comparing to a cheap get away in Spain or Greece.

Prices for hotels in Cornwall vs Tenerife goes very much in favour of Spain. Let alone the fact that if you live in Manchester, the flight across Europe will often be cheaper than driving/getting a train to Cornwall.

The beaches in Spain will be underwater in a few decades. Island nations will have been wiped out, but as people can get their fish and gravy in the sun for cheap then "I'm alright Jack".

Where will all the Cockney refugees go when London floods? Those small boats that always appear during floods will still be illegal.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, limpid said:

The beaches in Spain will be underwater in a few decades. Island nations will have been wiped out, but as people can get their fish and gravy in the sun for cheap then "I'm alright Jack".

Where will all the Cockney refugees go when London floods? Those small boats that always appear during floods will still be illegal.

I'm willing to take a bet the beaches in Spain will not be underwater, not by 2060/70. And definitely not London.

Not to deny climate is changing of course. 

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Maldives or Centre Parks around the same cost. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I'm willing to take a bet the beaches in Spain will not be underwater, not by 2060/70. And definitely not London.

Not to deny climate is changing of course. 

Interactive map of the UK. You can choose and change the climate models. Don't zoom in on London in 2050.

Seawater reaches 'hot tub' temperatures in possible world record

As Europe and northern Africa tackle wildfires, America may have recorded the world's hottest seawater.

Water temperatures on the tip of Florida hit "hot tub" levels, at 38.4C, according to an initial reading.

Prolonged hot water surrounding the US state has devastated coral reefs, scientists have said.

"This is a hot tub. I like my hot tub around 100, 101 [37.8C, 38.3C]. That's what was recorded yesterday," said Yale Climate Connections meteorologist Jeff Masters.

While there aren't official water temperature records, a 2020 study listed 37.6C in Kuwait Bay, in July 2020, as the world record. 

"It seems plausible that is a potential record," said meteorologist George Rizzuto, of the National Weather Service, which recorded the temperature.

https://news.sky.com/story/weather-latest-uk-corfu-rhodes-fires-wildfires-heatwave-holiday-updates-12920226?postid=6216881#liveblog-body

In other news the Gulf stream will apparently collapse in 2025, or 2057, or 2095. Either way it's not great. We've all seen The Day After Tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

https://news.sky.com/story/weather-latest-uk-corfu-rhodes-fires-wildfires-heatwave-holiday-updates-12920226?postid=6216881#liveblog-body

In other news the Gulf stream will apparently collapse in 2025, or 2057, or 2095. Either way it's not great. We've all seen The Day After Tomorrow.

Yes, I read that as well. It is being debated if it will happen by then but even the idea it is being seen as a possibility is utterly terrifying and barely made the news compared to Nigel Farage being a c*ck. We are basically screwed as I have no hope in humanity focusing long enough to reduce world emissions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, I wrote a paper on the breakdown of the thermohaline circulation system in 2003, it's not a new thing, but we had no idea when it would happen. Still don't really. When it does it's going to be bad for everyone. Without the poleward transfer of heat (which the seas do far more efficiently than our atmosphere), those at high latitudes will suffer much lower temperatures (it's worth noting that we are on a similar latitude to Moscow, but we don't suffer their winters because of the effect of the gulf stream), and those near the equator, where heat will just build up will cook. 

If and when the system does break down, it will happen over years (possibly months) not decades because the freshwater blocking the movement of the 'conveyor' at the poles will just jam up the whole system. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes, I read that as well. It is being debated if it will happen by then but even the idea it is being seen as a possibility is utterly terrifying and barely made the news compared to Nigel Farage being a c*ck. We are basically screwed as I have no hope in humanity focusing long enough to reduce world emissions. 

Don't fret too much.  I am sure @MakemineVanilla will be along soon to make you feel better about the rosy future. 

Actually quite funny.  For decades mankind has been convinced that mankind will destroy itself by starting a nuclear war.  It turns out mankind is more likely to destroy mankind by driving to out of town shopping centres and jetting off to Marbella.

Who would have thunk it.

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Actually quite funny.  For decades mankind has been convinced that mankind will destroy itself by starting a nuclear war.  It turns out mankind is more likely to destroy mankind by driving to out of town shopping centres and jetting off to Marbella.

Who would have thunk it.

I think the biggest contributor is power generation for homes and industry, from fossil fuels - around half of all emissions.

All the other stuff are like 10% each (ish) - shipping, aviation, farming, cars etc.

Bit of a simplification, but the biggest win would be to stop using fossil fuels for energy generation.

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think the biggest contributor is power generation for homes and industry, from fossil fuels - around half of all emissions.

All the other stuff are like 10% each (ish) - shipping, aviation, farming, cars etc.

Bit of a simplification, but the biggest win would be to stop using fossil fuels for energy generation.

Good job The Dail Mail, The Telegraph etc don't run literally DAILY news stories about how rubbish Heat Pumps are and the madness of using them then isn't it.  Phew.

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

That should be the focus, once that happens then you get automotive transport off fossil fuels 'for free' as they would all be electric too. Planes/boats and farming are more problematic but take the low hanging fruit first. In reality of course we needed to start doing it in the late 80's not forty years too late...

• Like 1

Â