Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

We did it!

"The year 2023 has been confirmed as the warmest on record, driven by human-caused climate change and boosted by the natural El Niño weather event.
Last year was about 1.48C warmer than the long-term average before humans started burning large amounts of fossil fuels, the EU's climate service says.
Almost every day since July has seen a new global air temperature high for the time of year, BBC analysis shows.
Sea surface temperatures have also smashed previous highs."

(link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67861954)

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

And, wow, that poll :D 

Would be interesting to see the poll reset now. 

Looks like next year is going to be even hotter as well. 

On 28/06/2010 at 22:14, TheWalletInspector said:

"I'm a selfish prick who doesn't really give a shit" - Can we have that option added too please?

Do you still not give a damn about this either way anymore? 

On 28/06/2010 at 21:45, rjw63 said:

How certain are you that global warming exists?

I'd like another option added

How certain are you that global warming exists?

• 3 weeks later...

This is normal. Sometimes the sun is just hot. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-68119951

Weather record for warmest January set in Scottish Highlands

A new UK record high temperature has been set in the Scottish Highlands, according to provisional figures from the Met Office.

It recorded a peak of 19.6C (67.3F) at Kinlochewe on Sunday, making it hotter than Rome and the Cote d'Azur.

If confirmed it would be the highest January temperature in the UK, breaking a record set in 2003 by more than a full degree celsius.

It would also be the highest winter temperature ever recorded in Scotland.

Donald MacLennan, manager of the Kinlochewe Hotel, confirmed it was "really hot outside".

"But I can't see anyone out enjoying it as it's blowing a hoolie," he added.

"We're surrounded by mountains so the place can be a bit of a heat trap and we've been in the news before for being the hottest place in the UK."

Edited by sidcow

New Evidence Reveals Fossil Fuel Industry Sponsored Climate Science in 1954

Documents shed light on the earliest-known instance of climate science funded by the fossil fuel industry, adding to growing understanding of Big Oil’s knowledge of climate change. 

Keeling’s findings would lead him to conduct a separate series of experiments from the top of the Hawaiian volcano Mauna Loa resulting in the famous Keeling Curve — a visual depiction of rising atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) caused by the burning of fossil fuels. His work underpins our understanding of manmade climate change. 

Unknown until now, however, is the fact that Keeling’s earliest research into carbon dioxide across the western U.S. was funded in part by the fossil fuel industry via a private foundation — and that in 1954 this foundation was informed of the potential impact of manmade carbon dioxide emissions on both the climate and human civilization. 

Newly discovered documents affirm that the automobile and petroleum industries funded early climate science Keeling conducted at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) between 1954 and 1956. Records show that “oil and auto companies” sponsored the scientist’s research via an organization called the Southern California Air Pollution Foundation, formed in 1953 to tackle Los Angeles’s infamous smog. American Motors, Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors were among 18 automotive companies that gave money to the foundation. 

https://www.desmog.com/2024/01/30/fossil-fuel-industry-sponsored-climate-science-1954-keeling-api-wspa/

Long article. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

They don’t care about carbon emissions, they are just calling her a hypocrite.

Fox news in 2016 re Hillary Clinton:

“We cannot have a country led by a president subject to ongoing criminal investigations, potential indictment, and never-ending hearings,”

Fox news supporting Trump during legal proceedings after his insurrection:

'Charges are a bunch of theatre. Nothing but a show indictment'

I wouldn't take Fox News as a barometer of hypocrisy.

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Fox news in 2016 re Hillary Clinton:

“We cannot have a country led by a president subject to ongoing criminal investigations, potential indictment, and never-ending hearings,”

Fox news supporting Trump during legal proceedings after his insurrection:

'Charges are a bunch of theatre. Nothing but a show indictment'

I wouldn't take Fox News as a barometer of hypocrisy.

It’s possible Taylor Swift and Fox News are both hypocrites?

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s possible Taylor Swift and Fox News are both hypocrites?

Sure. I just resent Fox News pointing it out, haha.

Fox just don't like her. They're petrified that she's going to declare her support for Biden as apparently 1 in 5 swifties would blindly vote however she does

One of the common complaints I hear from conservatives is that wealthy celebrities and billionaires lecture people about making sacrifices for the good of the environment whilst they don’t actually make those sacrifices themselves. I guess an article about Swift using her private jet to go to football matches is tapping into that sentiment from their reader base. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

One of the common complaints I hear from conservatives is that wealthy celebrities and billionaires lecture people about making sacrifices for the good of the environment whilst they don’t actually make those sacrifices themselves. I guess an article about Swift using her private jet to go to football matches is tapping into that sentiment from their reader base. 

It's a valid point in my opinion. 

You've got to be careful how you trumpet about environmental issues if you're going to regularly jet set around the world. 

I'd have more sympathy if they are taking scheduled flights that are going to be flying regardless (I feel strongly about the climate but not enough to give up my annual holiday in Costa Packet) but you can't make grand statements then put an extra aircraft in the sky that has absolutely no need to be there. 

I know it's still hypocritical but I ain't perfect. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It's a valid point in my opinion. 

You've got to be careful how you trumpet about environmental issues if you're going to regularly jet set around the world. 

I'd have more sympathy if they are taking scheduled flights that are going to be flying regardless (I feel strongly about the climate but not enough to give up my annual holiday in Costa Packet) but you can't make grand statements then put an extra aircraft in the sky that has absolutely no need to be there. 

I know it's still hypocritical but I ain't perfect. 

She’s trying to sue that college kid who highlights private jet use apparently. It’s the same kid who got under Musk’s skin when Musk kicked him off Twitter for tweeting Musk’s flights.

Attorneys for pop star Taylor Swift are threatening legal action against a college student who is tracking Swift’s jet use via social media

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/feb/06/taylor-swift-jet-cease-desist-jack-sweeney

• 1 month later...

Last month was the world's warmest February in modern times, the EU's climate service says, extending the run of monthly records to nine in a row.

Each month since June 2023 has seen new temperature highs for the time of year.

The world's sea surface is at its hottest on record, while Antarctic sea-ice has again reached extreme lows.

Temperatures are still being boosted by the Pacific's El Niño weather event, but human-caused climate change is by far the main driver of the warmth.

"Heat-trapping greenhouse gases are unequivocally the main culprit," stresses Prof Celeste Saulo, Secretary General of the World Meteorological Organization.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68428348

A sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) is an event in which polar stratospheric temperatures rise by several tens of kelvins (up to increases of about 50 °C (90 °F)) over the course of a few days.[1] The warming is preceded by a slowing then reversal of the westerly winds in the stratospheric polar vortex. SSWs occur about six times per decade in the northern hemisphere,[2] and about once every 20-30 years in the southern hemisphere.[3][4] Only two southern SSWs have been observed.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_stratospheric_warming

We've clocked up three this year.

Not always a disaster by any means, but it is the roll of a dice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

How much of a shock will affordable electric vehicles from China give European car makers?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001y1yg?at_mid=3gDm8FibX5

We're a little behind the times, what with the fossil fuel industry spreading disinformation and buying politicians to ensure we've kept going back to the pumps.

We just keep plopping into traps.

• Like 1

Â