Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I thought he was great because he did such a great job of making me despise his character.

Such an incredibly irritating arsehole.

This.

He's a good character BECAUSE you hate him.

You weren't supposed to hate Jar Jar Binks

Ziggy is like Janice Soprano. You're supposed to think they're a complete word removed. That makes them great.

I watched the first episode of The Wire a couple of nights ago. Lost interest half way through.

Cliqued response time... Dude, honestly stick with it. I'm going to be honest, it's going to be like that for 6-7 episodes, then it really will start to pay off. Don't miss out, it's TV gold.

I think it's impossible to pass judgement on a tv show without watching at least the first series. Especially how TV shows are constructed these days, episodes are not isolated closed stories a series is one long story arc and you have to put effort in at the beginning to get the rewards at the end.

The Wire is a great case in point, first 6 or 7 episodes were a bit of work to get into it. From then on it's superb stuff.

For example, The West Wing. People raved about that show so I put the effort in to watch it, and was on the 4th Series before I realised it was not going to ever get good. It's a terrible show.

But the point is I put the effort in to like it. I think people need to do that with all TV shows. It's rare that well reviewed shows dissapoint. So always worth the investment.

i gave up on the west wing after the president made his "america, **** yeah" entrance at the end of the 1st episode...

whats worse is TV that starts off brilliant and then goes shit, homeland and heroes being obvious ones, but even the likes of the following, started off i really liked it, was half way through the episode the other night when i realised i haven't paid attention to the last 3/4 episodes, I've watched them, but i haven't got a clue what happened in them, lost interest without even realising 

I thought he was great because he did such a great job of making me despise his character.

This.

Ziggy is like Janice Soprano. You're supposed to think they're a complete word removed. That makes them great.

I thought Ziggy was a dick, but he was also involved in one of the great moments of The Wire. And it needed all the build up in his character to make it so good.

I actually really like series 2, Frank Sabotka and the Greek are great characters, and there are some of McNulty's crowning moments in that series too. 

• Like 1

This.

I thought Ziggy was a dick, but he was also involved in one of the great moments of The Wire. And it needed all the build up in his character to make it so good.

I actually really like series 2, Frank Sabotka and the Greek are great characters, and there are some of McNulty's crowning moments in that series too. 

He wasn't in the scene where Nick Sobotka's girlfriend gets her chebs out was he?

• Like 1

I liked Ziggy thought he was a great character. There wasnt a single bad character or actor in the wire which is staggering considering alot of them had little to no previous acting experience.

I even liked the ending of the wire. Unsure why people didnt like it. A lad at work watched all of it and said it was 'alright'...wanted to kick him in his nuts. 'Alright'.. 'fackin alright'...id use that term to describe something like prison break...but it was 'alright' to describe the wire?! Its a god damn masterpiece fool.

Oh Francis Underwood, what an awesome character.

How can Netflix produce such incredible TV when it's only funded by internet subscribers.

And the opening title sequence of house of cards is the most atmospheric and fitting of any I've seen. On superhd on the plasma it looks fantastic.

I remember watching the first episode of a thing called Carnival a while back it seemed like it could be a good show, I just thought of it because I remember the title sequence being quite good. I might try it again.

Might have even been one of HBO's, could be a good tip.

Edited by useless

How can Netflix produce such incredible TV when it's only funded by internet subscribers.

It has the least subtle product placement since James Bond, that's how.

Good point. House of cards should be called house of apples.

I found the first season of Mad Men to be pretty boring but I persisted with it and it's one of my favourite shows now. Some shows hit you with a bang. Others just creep up on you.

• Like 2

I remember watching the first episode of a thing called Carnival a while back it seemed like it could be a good show, I just thought of it because I remember the title sequence being quite good. I might try it again.

Might have even been one of HBO's, could be a good tip.

Any boobs in it?

Mad Men is probably the best show around, imo. There hasn't been a truly 'bad' episode yet, and when it is on top form, there really is no competition. The best episodes are the self-contained ones, that are basically short stories. Similar to The Sopranos, in many ways. And like that show, I also think there is a lot more going on than first impressions would suggest.

• Like 1

whats worse is TV that starts off brilliant and then goes shit

Yeah.  Throw Supernatural in there too, first season was like a cool mini-horror movie each episode but then it fell off a bridge.

Edited by GarethRDR

I just don't get Mad Men. Sopranos too. It just doesn't go anywhere.. there's no point to it.

I watched all six season of Sopranos over the space of a month and I don't think it's supposed to be watched like that.

I half-liked it . Each episode is decent on it's own, but as a whole it just a big bag of nothing. With Mad Man I got the same feeling, but I only watched 2 season.

I just don't get Mad Men. Sopranos too. It just doesn't go anywhere.. there's no point to it.

I watched all six season of Sopranos over the space of a month and I don't think it's supposed to be watched like that.

I half-liked it . Each episode is decent on it's own, but as a whole it just a big bag of nothing. With Mad Man I got the same feeling, but I only watched 2 season.

I tried to half like this post, but it doesn't work...

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

Â