Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

23 hours ago, snowychap said:

He's only a Police Inspector, isn't he, not Paris Chief of Police?

Dumas's father was mixed race and he was a general in the French Army I gather.

I'm not trying to say that it would have been anything other than very unusual for people of colour to hold senior/seniorish positions in France in the late 18th and early 19th centuries or that there were many black or mixed-race people in France but rather that it is not perhaps the huge affront to history that people might be suggesting.

I'm not disagreeing - I was OK with it, simply because it doesn't really matter that much - to me. There is a debate to be had, though. On the one hand, young black viewers may be somewhat alienated by productions with nothing but white actors. But on the other, portraying a European history apparently devoid of racism is whitewashing (sic) the truth. I think there is a subtle difference between (say) Luther and Inspector Javert. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not disagreeing - I was OK with it, simply because it doesn't really matter that much - to me. There is a debate to be had, though. On the one hand, young black viewers may be somewhat alienated by productions with nothing but white actors. But on the other, portraying a European history apparently devoid of racism is whitewashing (sic) the truth. I think there is a subtle difference between (say) Luther and Inspector Javert. 

Sure, I get that you're not disagreeing and I agree with you that there is a debate to be had.

Without it going too much off topic and veering towards the racism thread, I think there is an issue with people assuming that any black or brown faces are historically inaccurate and thus using them in period drama is pandering to political correctness (I'm in no way accusing you of that - that was what you said when you spoke of the bit of controversy being caused by the Javert casting).

It seems to me that the people taking real issue with it (or with Dr Who or Mary Beard's defence of the BBC cartoon about the Romans) are demanding that all of the faces necessarily had/have to be white because that's how they see Western European history. To be honest, it's probably how I largely viewed Western European history (save for the Roman Empire) up until relatively recently, too, though like you and Rodders my reaction would have been one of interest and enquiry rather than the 'political correctness elitist cheeseboard liberals' outrage seen elsewhere.

Bringing it back to TV and to the point you've also made, how you allow for it in casting without appearing to ignore racism is difficult. Again, I'm not sure that I have that much of a problem with it being largely ignored if it's not at least part of the original work. It is, though, a very valid consideration.

• Like 2

Just watched season one of Medici and thought it was very good, a historical, political, thriller type show with some really good acting. Then watched the first episode of season two and they've jumped 20 years into the future with no explanation, changed all the cast and appear to have made it more of a stereotypical history, action show (but not a good one like GoT) and completely lost all that was good about the first season. I've got no desire to watch anymore of it and am curious if anyone has watched it all and I'm reading it wrong and it's worth watching?

Good Omens confirmed to release on May 31 on Amazon Prime. BBC version to follow later.

I don't think a great deal of the opening title sequence.

Benedict Cumberbatch is voicing Satan.

I think there's only really Death they've not announced casting on yet.

Finally gotten around to start watching Gomorrah. It's frankly excellent.

Plan is to have finished the first 3 seasons by the start of March, then a couple of weeks holiday and back home in time for March 29th when season 4 begins.

Gomorrah Poster

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Plan is to have finished the first 3 seasons by the start of March, then a couple of weeks holiday and back home in time for March 29th when season 4 begins.

Gomorrah Poster

It really is that good.

Easily in my top 5 favourite shows of the last 5 years. Tried recommending it to friends and family but its a hard sell, especially with the subs.

• Like 2

that hot zone to me just feels like modern society, be absolutely terrified of everything, inspired by true events, 90% death rate, this is how close we all came to dying

we didnt really though did we?

great cast but it just feels exaggerated and will piss me off

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

that hot zone to me just feels like modern society, be absolutely terrified of everything, inspired by true events, 90% death rate, this is how close we all came to dying

we didnt really though did we?

great cast but it just feels exaggerated and will piss me off

I started watching that trailer thinking ooh this looks good, then by the end if it I wanted to punch everyone in it.  That's a new record for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sne said:

Gomorrah Poster

One of the greatest shows of all time (no hyperbole either).

• Like 2

On 11/02/2019 at 22:44, Brumstopdogs said:

Just watched "Abducted in Plain Sight" on Netflix.

Recommended although some odd people in it!

Started watching it but turned it off after a bit. Like you say, 'effin weird people in it, like the Dad pulling him off in the car because paedo boy was feeling horny. WTF!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, sne said:

Gomorrah Poster

Me and the missus have been watching Gomorrah from when series 1 was airing. By series 2 and knowing how good it was, we would hold back until towards the end of the series, just so we could binge watch over a weekend. Wife just shouted ‘Woo-hoo!’ after I told her it was back from March 29th. Thanks for the good news Sne!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BillyShears said:

Started watching it but turned it off after a bit. Like you say, 'effin weird people in it, like the Dad pulling him off in the car because paedo boy was feeling horny. WTF!

One of the most bizarre things was that the dad seemed to hold more shame about his homosexual experience than anything else that happened.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

It really is that good.

Easily in my top 5 favourite shows of the last 5 years. Tried recommending it to friends and family but its a hard sell, especially with the subs.

Agreed.

This one and the French series Le Bureau des Légendes are 2 gems that many will miss out on as they're not in English and will need subs.

Both are great.

Falsk identitet Poster

On 15/02/2019 at 17:46, Pelle said:

Just started to rewatch Lucifer. 10+ episodes in. I love that show. Ellis is great as the devil, IMO. :) 

New season starts very soon

• Like 1

Penultimate episode of True Detective s3.

what a nice little nod

Bildresultat för giddy gif

Spoiler

Relaterad bild

Really like this season, it's not magic the first one, but still really good.

Edited by sne

30 minutes ago, sne said:

Penultimate episode of True Detective s3.

what a nice little nod

Bildresultat för giddy gif

Hide contents

Relaterad bild

Really like this season, it's not magic the first one, but still really good.

Season 1 was incredible, not seen the others, was season 2 as bad as some make out?

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Season 1 was incredible, not seen the others, was season 2 as bad as some make out?

Actually not bothered watching S2.

From what I understand is was not great, but I also think it suffers because S1 set the bar so high that nothing could possibly live up to it.

S3 is a big step in the right direction.

Â