Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Following on from above, what are your top 5 box-sets / series of all time? I'm only going to include shows that have finished:

1. The Wire - enough has been said about this that I don't really need to comment

2. The Shield - vastly underrated cop show in LA. More action packed than The Wire. Even the 'good' guys are shits!

3. Californication - the first 3 series are exceptional. Hank is one of the best TV characters ever created

4. Banshee - a rollercoaster from start to finish and some of the most violet fight scenes I have ever seen!

5. Lost - this could have been so much better but when it was good, nothing could touch it.

Honourable mentions to 24 and Entourage, which just missed the cut

I will caveat my list by saying I haven't seen Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos or Boardwalk Empire. 

In terms of the current stuff i've seen, nothing is looking like it could break into the top 5, although yet to start Game of Thrones. 

Good question! My pantheon of greats would probably be as follows:

1. The Wire - Nuff said.

2. Lost - Flawed, but I have never looked forward to an episode of anything like I did with Lost. Watched it before the days of the online binge, so the wait between season cliffhangers was excruciating!

3. Breaking Bad - Ridiculously consistent quality TV.

4. Oz - Now a bit dated to watch, but groundbreaking at the time. As good a collection of characters as you'll find. Paved the way for future HBO greats.

5. Hannibal - Incredibly written and acted (Mads Mikkelsen even trumps Hopkins as Lecter imo). Each season better than the last. Somehow cancelled after season 3, but the creator is confident that it'll be back.

Honourable mentions to The Killing, The Bridge (Scandi versions), Bates Motel, Game of Thrones, and Carnivale.

Yet to watch The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and The Shield.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Following on from above, what are your top 5 box-sets / series of all time? I'm only going to include shows that have finished:

1. The Wire - enough has been said about this that I don't really need to comment

2. The Shield - vastly underrated cop show in LA. More action packed than The Wire. Even the 'good' guys are shits!

3. Californication - the first 3 series are exceptional. Hank is one of the best TV characters ever created

Can't disagree with those three, I also liked Mad Men (after a slow start). Enjoyed Breaking Bad but wouldn't be anywhere near my top 5.

Others I have thought top quality - House MD, Game of Thrones, Ray Donovan, Dexter, House of Cards, Chicago Fire & Chicago PD, Suits (Donna!), Vikings, Sons of Anarchy, Rescue Me

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Chicago PD

Quite fancy this as I do like Jason Beghe. 

13 minutes ago, jim said:

I am very disappointed Nashville isn't on anyone's list :(

I've seen it advertised but can't say I've ever fancied it 

Ok, top UK shows. 

Love Luther and Sherlock. Got season 3 of Line of Duty to watch. Heard good things about The Fall, Happy Valley, The Missing and Night Manager.

Am I missing any obvious ones in the same vein over the last couple of years? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ok, top UK shows. 

Love Luther and Sherlock. Got season 3 of Line of Duty to watch. Heard good things about The Fall, Happy Valley, The Missing and Night Manager.

Luther, Sherlock (At least the early seasons), and The Fall are all good. Still think the best UK shows are comedies though. Peep Show, The Inbetweeners and Fresh Meat are as good as it gets!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ok, top UK shows. 

The Fall and especially Happy Valley are excellent mate.

Oh, and Line of Duty series 3 is an absolute belter. I didn't think 2 could be topped but it manages it.

• Like 1

Sherlock disappeared up its own ass, the last series was poor IMO 

for me it's peaky blinders, this is England, and then er...

broad church series 1 was good, only watched a couple of episodes of Luther, the missus watched downtown abbey and tbf I could at least see why it was so popular, after that I'm not sure, struggling to even think of any sitcoms I watch

if you spread it across all of tv then I think I'd say planet earth, human planet and life are my other 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Ok, top UK shows. 

Humans, River, London Spy...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Which network is this shown on? I've never been able to find it. Do the BBC or Channel 4 show it in the UK?

Sky box sets. Think it was originally on sky Atlantic. 

There are currently 2 series 

Well worth checking out

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Designer1 said:

The Fall and especially Happy Valley are excellent mate.

Oh, and Line of Duty series 3 is an absolute belter. I didn't think 2 could be topped but it manages it.

Watched episode 1 of season 3 of Line of Duty last night. Wow! What a start to the series!

• Like 1

My top five in no particular order:- Game of Thrones, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Gommorah and The Walking Dead.

Judging by the lists above, I have quite a few box sets to catch up with. I have seen one or two episodes of Californication and Banshee, so will maybe have a look at them next.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Which network is this shown on? I've never been able to find it. Do the BBC or Channel 4 show it in the UK?

It is on Sky, as it is made by Sky Italia. It is spelt Gomorrah though, so if you start your search typing Ga you won't find it.

Edit. Beaten to it, should have read through the thread. :blush:

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

On 16/11/2016 at 10:54, Midfielder said:

That's on my list to get to. You normally recommend well Designer1, all else I know is it has got Phil n Grant in it.  

I struggled to get half way through season 2 and then I stopped because I discovered some much more interesting dishwater in my sink.

Every time I try and watch West Wing (and most other Aaron Sorkin written series) I can't help but see a man (Aaron) frantically masturbating over his own dialogue.

His style just aggravates me for some reason.

I did enjoy 'Studio 60 on the sunset Strip' though...

Edited by PieFacE

Â