Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Just finished House...all 177 episodes in about 6 weeks. Missus had never seen it, I was up to season 8 episode 3 so went back to the start.

Awesome TV. And a great ending...shame the makers of Dexter didn't watch this first!

Coming towards the end of series 3 of 24 - just watched the train yard scene with Bauer & Chappelle. Wow! What great TV  :)

• Like 1

There is a scene midway through that season that will make you go :o  for entirely different reasons.

Yeah, I got there last night and I can confirm you are definitely correct.

Thinking back, there was some subtle foreshadowing. Very clever, but yes :o

Coming towards the end of series 3 of 24 - just watched the train yard scene with Bauer & Chappelle. Wow! What great TV :)

I remember being absolutely stunned. I was thinking how are they going to get out of this all the way and then...

Gutted it was the season finale of the mentalist this week as has been a great season.

Got to wait until next year for the next :(

I like the Mentalist but I thought it built up brilliantly then lost a lot after the cumulation of the Red John story arc.

Coming towards the end of series 3 of 24 - just watched the train yard scene with Bauer & Chappelle. Wow! What great TV :)

I remember being absolutely stunned. I was thinking how are they going to get out of this all the way and then...

It was a definite hold your breath moment! 

Gutted it was the season finale of the mentalist this week as has been a great season.

Got to wait until next year for the next :(

I like the Mentalist but I thought it built up brilliantly then lost a lot after the cumulation of the Red John story arc.

I was surprised it continued after the Red John plot but thought it handled it pretty well - I'm also surprised, considering the finale they're doing another season - it could've been left as that.

Watching Halt and Catch Fire now and really liking it.

If Don Draper and Walter White met in 1983

Since rebranding itself as a prestige TV showcase with the launch of Mad Men in 2007, AMC has hosted its share of critical gems (Breaking Bad), popular hits (The Walking Dead), and forgettable duds (Low Winter Sun). But its most recent series — The Killing, Hell on Wheels, and Turn – have failed to break out — so there’s some additional pressure on Halt and Catch Fire, which premiered Sunday night.

Set in 1983, the show revolves around Lee Pace’s Joe MacMillan, a dynamic former IBM executive who wants to build a fledgling Dallas-based computer company into an outfit that can go toe to toe with Big Blue. One of the drones in the Dallas office is Gordon Clark (Scoot McNairy), a “misunderstood genius” whose brilliant vision has earned him nothing but a cubicle and a drinking problem. Together, with the help of Cameron (Mackenzie Davis), a pretty programming punk, they set out to reverse-engineer the IBM PC and mass-produce their own rival product.

The premiere had a lot of information to sift through, characters to establish, and techno-speak to spoon-feed, so it might take a few episodes to determine whether Halt is a keeper. But it’s clear that creators Christopher Cantwell and Christopher C. Rogers have studied what works and what doesn’t, and at first glance, they’ve borrowed generously from proven winners. In fact, it didn’t take me long after seeing Joe and Gordon at work to think, “They’re Don Draper and Walter White, right?”

Joe is handsome, dapper, and extremely smooth in front of an audience. He knows just enough about his innovative product, but more than that, he’s a born salesman. He talks his way into a job with his IBM pay stub in lieu of a resume, he regales a classroom of aspiring computer engineers, and he is extremely persuasive in front of his new clients, practically challenging their manhood when asking them to give him their business. Did I mention he can also be a Grade-A prick? He treats Gordon like dirt — at least until he knows how much he needs him — and his first encounter with Cameron isn’t so much a courtship as it is a frat-boy stalking and hookup. If Don Draper lived in Dallas in 1983, he could be Joe MacMillan.

Gordon is a hard-working schlep, an idealistic computer engineer who has played by the rules and has nothing to show for it. Like Walter White, he’s also bitter about losing out on his greatest intellectual achievement. Walter had Gray Matter Technology; Gordon has the Symphonic, a gizmo that may or may not have been stolen by his wife’s employer, Texas Instruments. Once, he wrote and spoke passionately about the barrier-breaking potential of computers — but now, he’s a sad sack with a disapproving wife (Kelly Bishé, who also played McNairy’s wife in Argo) and two children to feed. But guess what? Gordon has the intelligence to do what Joe needs done — reverse-engineer a PC. It’s illegal, of course, but so’s cooking meth, and maybe breaking the law will invigorate him and remind him that he’s still alive. I’m cool with this path as long as Gordon doesn’t start wearing a pork pie hat.

Cameron also resembles a recent break-out television character, but one from off the AMC reservation. Perhaps it’s her particularly rough and raunchy first romantic encounter with Joe, but she immediately reminded me of Zoe Barnes from House of Cards. There’s also more to the comparison than her relationship with the older man: Cameron is a digital maverick in an analog world, and she knows how to play the game. Note her deft negotiating skills for joining Joe and Gordon’s crusade. In an important way, though, Cameron and Joe’s relationship is an inverse of Zoe and Frank Underwood’s: Joe needs Cameron for his professional survival.

• Like 1

Think I'll give that ago. I liked the first episode of Turn, but it got pretty bad pretty fast. 

Hopefully Halt and Catch Fire will be half decent!

Loved yesterdays episode of Silicon Valley too. 

• Like 1

I finished season two of HoC the other day. It's a bit hard to follow at times, but to say I'm not well-versed in politics would be an understatement. I loved it though, and Spacey is just fantastic.

Â